1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What a score

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ggans, Aug 15, 2010.

1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    6 months stacked!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ggans

ggans New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'm sorry for not being clear. How fast will it rot?
  3. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    Hey I think it varies. Stuff left in direct contact with the ground and getting rained on quite a bit will begin to get punky within a year or so. If you keep it up off the ground and keep the top covered it'll be ok for a couple years. Mine would get a black mold on the ends when stacked this way but it burned just fine. Get that stuff split up and stack it on pallets, cover the tops, and you'll be good to go.
  4. Captain Hornet

Captain Hornet Member

Loc:
    Upstate South Carolina
    Gentlemen, I have burnt a lot of Box Elder over the years. It is fast to dry after split and has many BTU's in it. I know it's not as good as Hickory or Red Oak but it's real good for the early or late season. Usually it's free and people are happy for you to take it. Burn what you have and enjoy the heat this winter when the whole world is shivering cold. David.
  5. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    +1. If you're splitting & stacking this stuff to burn, you don't have to worry about it rotting. Now if you try aging it like a single malt...well...you've got bigger problems!
    That is def the biggest Boxelder I've seen too. Here I was thinking maybe Jay sniped a wood I.D. on you.
  6. ggans

ggans New Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Thanks Guy's, I'll have more pix soon....