What a score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ggans said:
ansehnlich1 said:
Boxelder, for sure.

Splits easy if it's straight, hard if it's gnarly.

Dries pretty fast.

Rots pretty fast if it's not kept dry.

Smells bad when it burns.

Burns fast, best for spring or fall.

I burned a whole bunch of it the past couple years. I cleared it all out of my wood lot.

What's pretty fast?

6 months stacked!

ggans said:
I'm sorry for not being clear. How fast will it rot?

Hey I think it varies. Stuff left in direct contact with the ground and getting rained on quite a bit will begin to get punky within a year or so. If you keep it up off the ground and keep the top covered it'll be ok for a couple years. Mine would get a black mold on the ends when stacked this way but it burned just fine. Get that stuff split up and stack it on pallets, cover the tops, and you'll be good to go.

Gentlemen, I have burnt a lot of Box Elder over the years. It is fast to dry after split and has many BTU's in it. I know it's not as good as Hickory or Red Oak but it's real good for the early or late season. Usually it's free and people are happy for you to take it. Burn what you have and enjoy the heat this winter when the whole world is shivering cold. David.

+1. If you're splitting & stacking this stuff to burn, you don't have to worry about it rotting. Now if you try aging it like a single malt...well...you've got bigger problems!
That is def the biggest Boxelder I've seen too. Here I was thinking maybe Jay sniped a wood I.D. on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.