What a storm!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
I don't know how else to say it..

It started snowing at 11PM lastnight. We are supposed to get 50-60cm of snow with winds up to 100 km/h. ANother 5 cm tomorrow and 15-20 on Sunday. I am glad I need to drive 500 miles this weekend as I am attending a course next week.

Pics to follow.....

Andrew

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I don't know how else to say it..

It started snowing at 11PM lastnight. We are supposed to get 50-60cm of snow with winds up to 100 km/h. ANother 5 cm tomorrow and 15-20 on Sunday. I am glad I need to drive 500 miles this weekend as I am attending a course next week.

Pics to follow.....

Andrew
uh, too early for decimal system numbers. damn american school system, I studied it in elementary school but it never happened here. why not distance in meters though?

centi is the prefix meaning 100. 100 centimeters in a meter. 1000 metres in a kilometer (prefix kilo means thousand). lol
ALl that to say 50-60cm of snow is 20-24 inches. And another 6-10 inches on Sunday.

I used distance in miles to not confuse americans...lol...which I did anyway.

On another note, there's only 3 countries in the world that did not convert to the International System of Units (metric): US, Burma and LIberia. Cmon neighbors!!

Looks like the Berkshires got up to 24" total. Hope it melts soon.

Looks like the Berkshires got up to 24" total. Hope it melts soon.

Yikes! I hope it's not all at once. If it warms up and rains we'll have a reverse Tsunami that will wash webbies yacht clear out to the Azores!

Reactions: Swedishchef
centi is the prefix meaning 100. 100 centimeters in a meter. 1000 metres in a kilometer (prefix kilo means thousand). lol
ALl that to say 50-60cm of snow is 20-24 inches. And another 6-10 inches on Sunday.

I used distance in miles to not confuse americans...lol...which I did anyway.

On another note, there's only 3 countries in the world that did not convert to the International System of Units (metric): US, Burma and LIberia. Cmon neighbors!!

wow, i even got the name of the system wrong.

I have been pushing for the metric system for the US for years. Not only is it simpler it would make our manufacturing more competitive. Our auto industry already has gone metric.

I have been pushing for the metric system for the US for years. Not only is it simpler it would make our manufacturing more competitive. Our auto industry already has gone metric.

think of all them poor tape measures out there that would be worthless! the humanity!

Think of how busy the Stanley factory would be. More jobs!

Think of how busy the Stanley factory would be. More jobs!

you mean Stanley/Black & Decker, I used to work in the New Britain, CT plant for about 9 months.

Gave us 2 feet in the Pocono's PA.

December ; ready for winter.

2013-2014 wood.JPG

This morning after 25 inches in two days on top of 2 feet on ground already;

2-14-2014 0.JPG 2-14-2014 1.JPG

SO far we have received abouto 45cm (18 inches or so) and are supposed to get another 10-15cm by tomorrow morning. TOmorrow night another storm is scheduled to hit us and leave behind 15-20cm. Agh.
I have about 4 hours of shoveling (roof included) today/tomorrow. The joy!

Andrew

what are these cm's you speak of? this is an American site speak english;)

I have about a chain and 20 links to plow when I get home tonight (that would be about five rods for those that aren't good at math). Very little snow, but drifts. (take that you metric boys.:p)

I have about a chain and 20 links to plow when I get home tonight (that would be about five rods for those that aren't good at math). Very little snow, but drifts. (take that you metric boys.:p)

so your driveway is 5/320 of a statute mile or 4.25 rope, that should not take long to clear.

what are these cm's you speak of? this is an American site speak english;)

LOL.

Just remember: without our cold, you wouldn't need a wood stove. Without a wood stove, you wouldn't need wood. And with no need for a wood stove (or heating alternate fuel heating methods) you wouldn't have this site. And this forum wouldn't exist.

:)

We might have 16" on the ground now in the belt. No snow in the last several days. Been a low snow total winter here so far. Colder than the granite balls of the Lincoln Memorial though. -27 the other morning.

Sorry, but you could please convert that to something more useful, such as furlongs or parsecs?

~ half a cubit here, but I gots longish arms for my height

Right... What's a cubit?

What's a cubit?

See thats why we use the metric system every thing in 10s
now why do we still use feet and inches for building fine furniture
at least in my shop my cabinet makers do but again non of use are under 50
and most of us should retire

Status
Not open for further replies.