What a storm!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerR

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2009
Hampton, NH
Well, it looks like the worst is over. I think we had close to or over 9 inches of rain.....and the wind? No damage here but I did experience something weird. Got home from work Friday and the stove was off. My feed light was flashing #2. Looked it up and it said my vacuum switch was not pulled in. I checked the door and it was tight. Front ash door, tight. I had just done a level 3 cleaning so I knew my T, blower, horseshoe, and passages were all clean. I reset the stove and started it up. I was sitting in the room, reading a book when I heard the stove click and go into shutdown mode. I looked and sure enough, the #2 light was flashing. Just then a huge gust of wind shook the house. I then knew what the problem was. This wild wind was blowing so hard, in the right direction, it was blowing right into my exhaust and pressurizing the stove, causing it to think it's door was open. I had to jump out the switch so I could use the stove. Now that the wind has died down, I put the switch back to nomal and all is well. Weird.

Thank God we never lost power!

How did everyone else make out?

Chan

That's right...you guys didn't get it, did you? I saw more trees down and saw so many roads closed due to high water. They are calling this a 25 year storm. Let's see....We had a 100 year storm, then the year after, we had another 100 year storm (but this was for the NEXT 100 years) and now we have a 25 year storm...so we can have a 26 year storm, a 75 year storm...Hell, they've got a lot of storms to name.

Chan

Oy vey. It sucked for sure. Had to drag my dog outside
every day for three days and once she even growled at me.
Can't say I blame her. Poured buckets for over
72 hours and windy too. Still high winds
here but the rain finally let up.

We got just a bit north of 5" here from the looks of the brook and the fact that the Presumpscott got to 2.6 feet above flood stage in Westbrook.

For the most part the high winds stayed south and west of us.

Ton of rain here ...creek behind house is still swollen ...had to dig a trench in front of the shop door to divert water to the culvert ..but stayed ahead of it ..NO WATER IN THE SHOP!..wind was nasty at times ..lottsa pine bows on the roads round the house...but the power did not go out

I know it's of little consolation to anyone who got flooded basements, but as I was watching the news reports days ago and viewing the radar showing bands of rain just blowing straight in off the ocean, all I could think was: "What if it was 20 degrees colder? How much snow would 10 inches of rain make? I can't even begin to think what would have happened in the Boston area with anything more than 2 feet of snow.

Glad to hear you folks made it through OK.

We had our 40 year storm last winter. 3-1/2 feet of snow here at the ranch (1250Ft elevation)

Had not seen anything like that since 1968.

96 was a really wet one with a lot of low land flooding.

I do hope all comes out OK for you folks on the East Coast.

Snowy

Ladderlieu said:
I know it's of little consolation to anyone who got flooded basements, but as I was watching the news reports days ago and viewing the radar showing bands of rain just blowing straight in off the ocean, all I could think was: "What if it was 20 degrees colder? How much snow would 10 inches of rain make? I can't even begin to think what would have happened in the Boston area with anything more than 2 feet of snow.

Depending upon how much of it would still be in the air before reaching the ground you'd be close to 90" a bit shy of 8 feet.

Usually colder air is a lot drier so there wouldn't have been as much moisture up there to fall down. But it would have been a bad snow storm.

smwilliamson said:
Who lost pellet fuel in their wet basement? C'mon, someone lost a ton or two.

As of this morning I lost only 2 bags, as my basement has between 3 - 6" of water. I'm hoping the water is finished rising in the brook next to us and the river behind our house, otherwise I could lose 5 -10 more bags.

Last night I put a pallet on top of the one that was empty of pellets and moved a ton over, thus saving at least 3 -8 bags.I think next year I will double up on pallets.

I really hope no one lost a ton. If I thought that was going to happen my 2 tons would be in my living room by now!

smwilliamson said:
Who lost pellet fuel in their wet basement? C'mon, someone lost a ton or two.

Not I! My pellets are high and dry in the garage.
k06103.gif

Consider myself lucky with the water in basement deal...I only got approx. 1/8" in
my small laundry room. Many of my neighbors got half a foot or more.
k06151.gif

About 4" of rain for me and what ever snow that melted. I didn't get any water at all in the basement. My sump works well and I even have a backup pump w/float set 1" higher in there in case the first one clogges or fail's. I have been lucky I guess?

Pellets are stacked on a platform 4" off the floor just in case. ;-)

My basement stayed dry and no damage, but a co-worker friend was not so lucky.
Not only did his basement flood for the first time, his car is still in 2 feet of water.
He is really worried his insurance isn't going to cover anything.

I had pellets delivered about a day before the rain started.

I was able to bring two pallets worth of pellets into my basement (I have to hand carry the bags down 6 steps and to the other side of the basement, so it takes a while) one evening

but I left the other two pallets outside. I just brought another pallet's worth in - some of the bags were a little wet on the outside, but the pellets seem to be fine, (except for the corner of one bag - probably 5 lbs or so)

That's much better than four years ago, when I bought LG pellets, and half the bags were improperly sealed (LG has since fixed that problem - I am burning them this year). a light rain caused havok (a dozen bags ended up with lumps of pellet mush)

Status
Not open for further replies.