What about a reverse leaf blower trick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMadd

Oct 15, 2014
Highland, NY
For fear of getting laughed off the forum.....

My outiside vent is very high and hard to access due to placement over an AC unit. Not sure I can get a leaf blower on it from the outside. What about opening the clean out cap inside, connecting a leaf blower, adding duct tape and blowing the pipe out. I'd imagine I'd cover the stove with an old sheet or something first. Begin humiliation.......

Last edited:
I use the inside method myself. I do a thorough cleaning of the inside making sure to get out as much ash as possible using a brush and my shop vac. After I have cleaned out the stove, the best I can, I then insert the hose in the exhaust port. It fit nice and tight but I do get a little blow back. I shut the door as fare as I can and then cover with one of those heavy moving blankets. It seems to work great for me. I go outside and watch top of chimney until it is blowing clear and then I am done.

Do you guys have any lawyers (divorce) on retainer?;lol

Positive pressure and ash can be disastrous. There are some guys that do exactly as you describe, but if you do it, be REALLY careful. Haha

Past experience has proven a little ash can get ME into a lot of trouble!!!!!;em
If wife doesn't like the way I do it then she is always more than welcome to do it herself. She has certain things she does around the home that I know better then to question and I have things I do around the house that she doesn't question. We call it marriage. Seems to work well for us. Going on 25 years with 3 kids and a dog. Anyways, I have very little ash to none that gets in the house. We use to have a wood stove that was way dirtier than the pellet stove. With the little dust and ash we have now she sees it as a huge improvement.

Reactions: OPtaylor
I stuff a rag in the exhaust pipe outside at the tee and will blow out my vertical pipe after I have hit it with a scrappy thingy..

I was wondering about using the leaf blower into the OAK since its nice and accessable on the front porch. But I suppose a chance if a pipe comes apart or something would make a big mess. Now its warming up though I should be able to get back on the roof. Just a pain when its cold and blowing, and about impossible if there is any snow on it to get up to the top of the chimney.

Sucking air from the exhaust creates negative pressure inside the stove which eliminates any chance of ash being forced out seals etc. Blowing air into the stove via the outside air port creates postive pressure. In this scenario, even if your seals are in perfect shape, ash can still be forced past them into your house.
I may or may not have climbed on my snowy roof this season to use the leaf blower.

Was your roof metal? Mine get really slick.

using the method described, you're not sucking any ash from the many hidden, inaccessible areas in the heat exchanger. It's better than nothing but not really the intent of the LBT.

Status
Not open for further replies.