What About A Yearly Hearth.com Gathering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Craig Got your ears on, I purpose Hearth net plan a get together centrally located that would include the most members.
For one day we could meet those who have taken the time to help the many others. A yearly convention where we chip in to make it happen. I know I would love to meet so many Dylan josh Corie, Eric Bring your chain saws A cutting contest( who can cut the best with the cheapest saw) I would be on my best behavior and not be argumentative. Craig a history of how you formed Hearth net from the beginings in the mid 90’s dealer and industry correspondences

yeah i agree that this could be a blast. I don't know how many others are into grilling and cooking, but I would be more than happy to organize and cook food, etc.

So in summary, count me in :)

The Woodstock of wood burning. All we would need is a band to supply entertainment.
Tail gate food and atmosphere. I would bring my electric splitter for all to demo,
Eric could do a Chainsaw clinic on sharpening and maintainance. So much info could be exchange.
That extenda flue guy could demonstrate his products and applications. May be extend an invitation to Mike Moore

Not hearth.com directly, but if you look at the masonry heater association, they do a gathering every year where they build a heater and drink beer. (Hmm, there's that fire and beer thing again.) My point being, they rally around an educational item. Maybe something like a install workshop. Maybe a way to engage one of the manufactures as a sponsor (woodstock soapstone comes to mind). Of course we might all be obligated to say how wonderful the stoves looked or something like that, so that gets tricky. Maybe a brainstorming session on a radical new type of stove that we all know we've all invented in our minds that achieves a 95% efficiency rating, consumes no electricity, heats up in 2 minutes, cools off in 5 hours, burns for 15 hours on a single log (well, maybe PE already invented this one), and meets the decorative approval of every human being on the planet.

How about a "guess what kinda wood" this is contest?

Chainsaw sharpening demo.

A splitter VS the maul demo. (no elm allowed)
A splitter vs the maul...with elm...I'll supply the elm!!!

Fire building technique demos.

Other ideas?

Count me in. Any idea how many active members on Hearthnet? It might be possible to have a big enough meet to interest vendors to come out and demo their wares, perhaps even sell them. I like the idea of having a theme - and maybe a few demos wrt install, wood cutting, splitting, etc.

Count me in.

Anywhere in the Northeast works for me.

I'll do what I can to help out.

We may need Craig's or Mo heat's help to keep this threat going. I got a feeling there will be quite a response

Northeast after Labor day works for me

I'm there! With bells on!

SWAP MEET!!!!

Vendor Demos

Classes

Combat! (oh wait, confused with Pennsic, sorry)

Chainsaw juggling! (Now don't tell me Eric can't juggle em! The man does everything else with them!)

Hold it in the fall.

2 plans

Small: Somebodies place with some space. Fire, beer, friends, hang out, listen, learn, maybe people bring some stoves to sell or whatever. Swap meet style.

Big: have some local shops sponsor it, bring on the vendors, swap meet section, Have a Hearth.com VIP section(grin), classes, demos, chimney sweeps, have a "Dunk the NG Dealer" booth, and a special fireplace to burn your oil bill!

Joshua

Dylan said:
Mike Wilson said:
I'll take the ferry over to New London. Can get into CT or MA from there.

-- Mike

That's the first time that I ever checked your data, Mike.

What's the Shoreham plant doin' these days??

They never made Shoreham operational. They built it, and its still there (looks eerie!), but they never fueled it. There's talk of converting it to a natural gas fired facility, but nobody wants to spend the money to do it. Hell, Shoreham is 40 miles from me, was never my concern. Its you folk over in CT with Millstone that scare me. I can look out the window and see that sucker.

The funny part of it all was when they were building Shoreham, everyone out here by me was worried... oh my God, a nuclear power plant so close to us. I was like, hey, look out the window people... Millstone is a hell of a lot closer than Shoreham will ever be.

-- Mike

HA! I thought they never used the damned thing. All I remember is that they built it, and had to disassemble the reactor...It all happened while I was away from the area for 10 years anyways. And WE had to pay for it. I never knew it generated a single KW. Hell, if they fueled it, use the damned thing. I do know that they also planned to build another one out here by Jamesport, NY. They bought a huge tract of land, erected a giant tower, and then abandoned it. They just sold the land back to some farmers, as part of the "forever undeveloped" push they've been spending our tax dollars on lately. Yep... we paid the utility to buy land, then they sold it, kept the money, and got a huge tax credit in the process for selling land for less than it was worth so it wouldn't be developed.

Well, you guys managed to hijack the "class reunion" thread. Maybe somebody in a position of authority can ash-can this one and we can start over from scratch.

Since this one's going in the 'can, and since you're talking about waste disposal, I just want to say:

Intellingent design?
What kind of an intelligent designer would locate a major recreation area right in the middle of a waste disposal site?

yuk, yuk.

This thread can be moved to the ashcan, or the wheat posts can be separated from the chaff posts. We'd keep the wheat...

Which seems the better option?

Eric Johnson said:
Well, you guys managed to hijack the "class reunion" thread. Maybe somebody in a position of authority can ash-can this one and we can start over from scratch.

Since this one's going in the 'can, and since you're talking about waste disposal, I just want to say:

Intellingent design?
What kind of an intelligent designer would locate a major recreation area right in the middle of a waste disposal site?

yuk, yuk.

I dunno, ask the "engineer" that designed my truck
Then ask the meathead to change the rear passenger spark plug (hope he burns his hand)

If we had an ignore option for the site maybe I would be more inclined to show for the cookout

EDIT:
Here is wishing members had to pay for chaff posts :)

Count me in,

Just tell me how much beer you guys want me to brew for it.

Mo can you position it at the top so it does not die in the vast seas and allow others to pipe in with ideas.
Start saving your sky miles. Can any use ethanol for drinking purposes (Shine) I like the wheat idea because many
do not visit the Ash Can. What about setting up a new post for the Nuke plant discussion and let them carry on and port the existing responses there. Mabe if we can pull it off, Dylan and Mike can have their own booth to discuss the ex Nukes. I would love to meet Harry, Warren. that Mountain Guy Maybe verynycegirl can make a few of those subs. Shane Seagan Rudy Sandy Annette
John tugs a Bgreen and so many others and sip Todd's home brew

Given the distance up to you North Eastern guys, I am thinking a Mid-Atlantic chapter needs to be formed. Maybe have simultaneous blow-outs with the web cams fired up the whole time. Shorter drive home with a hangover.

"Virtual Burn 2006 Coming To You Live Via Hearthnet"

elkimmeg said:
Mo can you position it at the top so it does not die in the vast seas and allow others to pipe in with ideas.
Start saving your sky miles. Can any use ethanol for drinking purposes (Shine) I like the wheat idea because many
do not visit the Ash Can. What about setting up a new post for the Nuke plant discussion and let them carry on and port the existing responses there. Mabe if we can pull it off, Dylan and Mike can have their own booth to discuss the ex Nukes. I would love to meet Harry, Warren. that Mountain Guy Maybe verynycegirl can make a few of those subs. Shane Seagan Rudy Sandy Annette
John tugs a Bgreen and so many others and sip Todd's home brew
:cheese:

Count me in for some brewin too. I gotta get back doing that. Use to do a whole lot of it when I lived near Binghamton...MMMMM IPA's Can Beer actually BE over hopped?

Oh, this is a hearth forum....I dried my hops in front of the woodstove. whew. Had to get this back to hearth related!!!!!!

Beer, to my way of thinking, is like firewood in that you can never have too much. Yes, you can (and I occasionally do) have too much at one time, but in a general sense....well, you know what I mean. IPA is my fave, BTW. So Todd, my advice to you is to start brewing. My general impression is that we've got some seasoned beer consumers in this group.

Dylan, I'm sure you'll win your share of prizes. Your longstanding membership in this board (without getting banned--go figure) is probably one.

IPA- India Pale Ale- A strong, hoppy ale originaly brewed for the British troops in India.

Todd said:
IPA- India Pale Ale- A strong, hoppy ale originaly brewed for the British troops in India.

It was actually created out of necessity
English Ales for the most part were lightly hopped and low in alcohol
Beer that was brought by ship to the troops in India often spoiled in the cask on the trip South

Brewers, knowing higher alcohol and hops were natural preservatives, made the decision to spice up the brew with more hops and increase the grains to achieve a higher alcohol content

IPAs were some of the strongest beers around during that time period

Drying hops on the hearth................... ametuer
You must toast your grains on the stovetop in a popcorn popper to be truely authentic to our forefathers ;)

Dylan said:
Mike Wilson said:
Hey Dylan, you get the impression we are being dissed?

Here comes the Forum Gestapo...

I'm looking forward to The Gathering and hoping there's a Most Irritating contest....I'm sure to take the crown....it's a no-brainer.

Hey - I'd caution against you have such high expectations for yourself - I don't want you to go home crying ;-)

Shoot! The thread got 'jacked again.

But this time it's my kind of diversion. (Nuclear power is a topic near and dear to my heart, but that's another story).

Thanks for the history, babs. IME, it's hard to go wrong with IPA. The Seadog in Bangor, ME has a nice one, as do most other brew-pubs these days.

If you ride the trains in Japan, the cheapest thing on the menu in the diner car is "curry-rice" ("cully-lice") which is odd, considering that curry is an Indian dish and the Indians and Japanese have virtually no colonial interaction of any significance.

However, when the Japanese started building ships, they got their hands on some British blueprints and made exact replicas of the Empire's impressive ships, right down to the mess-hall menu. Hence, "cully-lice" on Japanese provincial rail lines. Goes down nice with a big bottle of Sapporo. For all I know, they copied the beer recipe, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.