1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What About A Yearly Hearth.com Gathering

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by elkimmeg, Feb 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    What a history lesson! and though being Indian I had no idea. Now I just have to go and try some!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sundeep Arole

Sundeep Arole New Member

Loc:
    Framingham, MA
    Point taken.
  3. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Lets review this thread. I have learned about Nuke plants that were built but never put in opperations
    High alcohol containing in beer for the British India troops
    Man we got to pull off some sort ot get together. We all spend a lot of time here.
    Might as well identify to whom we corresponded with.
    It was after meeting Hot flame I got this Idea. Someone just e-mailed me and I guess this was discussed
    while I had the involuntarily leave of absence here
  4. Sandor

Sandor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Deltaville,VA
    This sounds like fun. Timing it with autumn color sounds even better.

The home brew beer makes the attraction all the better. Well, really its kinda mandatory!
  5. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    Cool! This sounds fun. It's sounding a bit more like Oktoberfest than a woodstove gathering, but fun just the same. Anywhere northeast works for me. I can see it already. Instead of folks showing wallet size pics of their kids, pics of their stoves instead! We should try to hit the peak foliage week for the folks that have to travel a bit. It'll make the drive more worth while. Usually 2nd or 3rd week October in southern New England. Just not during a Patriot's game!!
  6. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    Start nominating sites guys!

I vote for somewhere in Connecticut.

Joshua
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I always wonder how many people you can actually get to one physical place at one time, especially to meet a bunch of people that they might already know TOO MUCH about. Think about it, how many casual friends even know about the stuff we all expose about our opinions here!

I could definitely put together a "fun" blues band including me on guitar....

I'll tell you a funny story regarding something similar......in the old CB days a number os us "hackers" figured out how to buy a certain brand of radio and switch the send and receive channels, which took us to a private area below the normal CB band. So it was our own channel, and we could talk really far because there was no static - for instance, from 20 miles into NJ to 10 miles into Phila. We all built big beam and quad antennas with rotators and also had rigs in the car.

Because we were "illegal" we all had aliases, like I was "Handyman" and a friend was "agent 99", etc. etc. - Well, more and more folks got on and we all became friends in that chat room sort of way - and since we were all playing characters, we had certain impressions of who each person was....for instance, a woman who might sound sexy, a guy who might sound gruff or very commanding, etc. etc.

Then someone suggested a get-together...in person. We traveled about 25 miles to the hosts house and , lo and behold, met a bunch of folks that looked like they had just been thrown off the Jerry Springer show! That was the end of all the fun...now, when we heard the commanding voice on the power mike CD we knew it was the short old dude with the comb-over. Somehow, the fun was out of it......

Anyway, a funny story - you had to be there. Shows the power of the human imagination.

So what happens when one tells the spouse "I'm going 150 miles to meet a bunch of people who hang with me on the hearth forum"?
  8. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Same thing I told her when I went to Hot Flame's home to help him install his stove
    Ok Im 5'7" so there will be no sunrises . about 153 lbs Don't really know no scales here
    wife wanted it that way. Couple years older than you Craig. Builder Remodeler and part time inspector
    elkimmeg my wife ellen first daughter kim second daughter Margaret ( meg)

I knew I could get you to do a few rifts of blues. Hey if there is enough home brew maybe no
    one will remember or care just a good time had by all
  9. rudysmallfry

rudysmallfry Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Milford, CT
    For some reason, I'm picturing some remote woodsy deliverance type area. Depending on how many people we're talking about, maybe someone's got a nice piece of land to host the party, (I mean gathering to discuss burn and wood splitting techniques). I'm all for CT. That way PA, NY and NJ aren't left driving too far. I'm already liking the guy to girl ratio on this forum. It would be a trip to meet you guys in person.
  10. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Oh yeah, Oh yeah...I do that. I brew on top of the stove to. %-P
  11. hardwood715

hardwood715 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hyde Park, New York
    count me in northeast hyde park NY
  12. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    It's bound to be a bitter disappointment all around, that's for sure. But since we're not looking for romance (speaking for myself only, of course) and there's beer involved, I'd make an effort to at least show up.

If you're looking for an in-woods location, we can meet on the woodlot where I cut all my wood just outside of Old Forge, NY. Nice little tourist town in the Adirondacks. Nobody who shows up with a pickup or a trailer goes home empty.

How's that for an incentive?
  13. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    I can live with that. Old forge isn't a super long ride and it gives me an excuse to stop at my grandparents house in Downsville.

Obligatory picture of my grandparents house:

Attached Files:

14. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    boy i'd be alot less stressed out if i could wake up to that view everyday.

hey craig i used to do that meeting thing to. we called them a eyeball.
    and i do hear that about having a eyeball with a bunch of jerry springer rejects.
    and i used to do the same thing with the channels until i got yelled at from some guy saying that THIS A CIVIL AIR DEFENSE CHANNEL AND YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE USING IT.

i thought everthing was forgotten about those days.

home brew some sammy's yah or samual smith's or old peculiar oh yah i can taste it.
    with some nice smoked ribs (smoked with are own wood of course.)
  15. tutu_sue

tutu_sue New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    A gathering would be GREAT!!

I have to plug for having it in NJ. This place is my neck of the woods. Not in a high traffic area. Used to be a ski place, but now exclusively events. All you can eat and drink (non-alcoholic) for $40 per (less after Labor Day), so you can mingle all day long and not have to worry about anything. Been to a couple events here and had a great time. Food was good. Don't remember if you can BYOB if you don't like Coors draft.

Check it out: http://www.craigmeur.com/

Services
    Ice Cream
    Colombo Frozen Yogurt
    Clam Chowder
    Soda, Iced Tea, Lemonade, and Coors Draft Beer
    Barbecue Chicken
    Grilled Sweet Sausage (w/ peppers and onions)
    Baked Ziti (w/ mozzarella and ricotta cheese)
    Hamburgers
    Cheeseburgers
    Premium All Beef Hot Dogs
    Corn on the Cob
    Hero Sandwiches (make your own!)
    Boston Baked Beans
    Cold Cut Platter
    Mixed Cheeses
    Tossed Salad
    Potato Salad
    Macaroni Salad
    Cole Slaw
    Sliced Tomatoes and other Garnishes

Hot Roast Beef and Gravy - served from 4 to 5 p.m.
    Watermelon - served from 4:30 - 5:00 p.m.
    Meat Products by Boars Head Brand & Angus Beef

Activities and Facilities
    (available all day, most equipment provided)
    Bank Shot Basketball
    Par Pool
    2 Softball Fields
    6 Tennis Courts
    2 Swimming Pools (certified Life Guard always on Duty)
    6 Volleyball Courts
    Boccie Courts
    Full length Basketball Courts
    Horseshoe Pits
    Children's Game and Play Area
    25,000 Square Feet of Shelter
    Ping Pong Tables
    Badminton
    Miniature Golf
    Frisbee Golf
    Shuffleboard
    Nature Walk
    Dressing Rooms
    Showers
    Pavilions
    Ample Free Parking
    Pine Shaded Groves

Amusements
    (available from Noon to 5:00 pm)
    Curly Q Water Flume Ride
    Wet N Wild Bumper Boats
    Pony Rides
    Hoops Basketball Challenge
    Krazy Maze
    Circus & Castle Bounce
    Balloon Typhoon
  16. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Sue,

I used to ski there when I was just a little kid!!!!!

We used to like in Bloomingdale and I still have very good memories of tumbling haphazardly down those slopes at Craigmere!
  17. tutu_sue

tutu_sue New Member

Loc:
    Northern NJ
    Kewl! We live in Bloomingdale. Taxes are higher than hell, but we love our little hamlet. Only one traffic light. Gotta love it. What street did you live on?
  18. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    36 Sally Street :) Last house on the right at the dead end

I moved after 4th grade, so I never made it out of Samuel R Donald

What street do you live on?
  19. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I know most of yous guys are out on the East Coast, but it would be nice if we could gather a little further inland?
  20. kwburn

kwburn New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Another vote for CT!!!
  21. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    Now you're getting personal, Craig.
  22. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Yo hardwood!! I have to second the Hyde Park, NY. If you all want to meet in something like Long Pine, Nebraska, go for it, but You can't beat Hyde Park, NY. Beautiful Hudson River, home of FDR is a great attraction, there's white Oaks there that must be 5' across, and there's two people who want to have it here. What could be more compelling?
  23. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts

Hmmmm....like to meet you too, Elk....but I fear the assembly.....a bunch of ethanol-crazed super Neo-Liberal Activists with chainsaws and fire......methinks its a conspiracy to lure my Republican NeoCon bum over there as the sacrificial lamb! *shiver*
    :red:
  24. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    BUT anyways....what about High Meadows, in Granby, CT? Something for everyone.
  25. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Hey, what's neo-liberal? I assumed most liberals have sold out for money and become conservatives....so how are there new liberals?

I'm 52 and was in DC protesting against Vietnam when I was 16.....that's 36 years - call me late for dinner, but I figured out what was going on after I heard the first couple Hendrix Alblums!

"Oh say, can you see it's really such a mess
    Every inch of Earth is a fighting nest
    Giant pencil and lipstick tube shaped things,
    Continue to rain and cause scream and pain
    And the arctic stains from silver blue to bloody red
    as our feet find the sand, and the sea"

And, of course, Castles Made Of Sand!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.