What About A Yearly Hearth.com Gathering

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
babalu87 said:
Todd said:
IPA- India Pale Ale- A strong, hoppy ale originaly brewed for the British troops in India.

It was actually created out of necessity
English Ales for the most part were lightly hopped and low in alcohol
Beer that was brought by ship to the troops in India often spoiled in the cask on the trip South

Brewers, knowing higher alcohol and hops were natural preservatives, made the decision to spice up the brew with more hops and increase the grains to achieve a higher alcohol content

IPAs were some of the strongest beers around during that time period

Drying hops on the hearth................... ametuer
You must toast your grains on the stovetop in a popcorn popper to be truely authentic to our forefathers ;)

What a history lesson! and though being Indian I had no idea. Now I just have to go and try some!

Lets review this thread. I have learned about Nuke plants that were built but never put in opperations
High alcohol containing in beer for the British India troops
Man we got to pull off some sort ot get together. We all spend a lot of time here.
Might as well identify to whom we corresponded with.
It was after meeting Hot flame I got this Idea. Someone just e-mailed me and I guess this was discussed
while I had the involuntarily leave of absence here

This sounds like fun. Timing it with autumn color sounds even better.

The home brew beer makes the attraction all the better. Well, really its kinda mandatory!

Cool! This sounds fun. It's sounding a bit more like Oktoberfest than a woodstove gathering, but fun just the same. Anywhere northeast works for me. I can see it already. Instead of folks showing wallet size pics of their kids, pics of their stoves instead! We should try to hit the peak foliage week for the folks that have to travel a bit. It'll make the drive more worth while. Usually 2nd or 3rd week October in southern New England. Just not during a Patriot's game!!

Start nominating sites guys!

I vote for somewhere in Connecticut.

Joshua

Sandor said:
This sounds like fun. Timing it with autumn color sounds even better.

The home brew beer makes the attraction all the better. Well, really its kinda mandatory!

I always wonder how many people you can actually get to one physical place at one time, especially to meet a bunch of people that they might already know TOO MUCH about. Think about it, how many casual friends even know about the stuff we all expose about our opinions here!

I could definitely put together a "fun" blues band including me on guitar....

I'll tell you a funny story regarding something similar......in the old CB days a number os us "hackers" figured out how to buy a certain brand of radio and switch the send and receive channels, which took us to a private area below the normal CB band. So it was our own channel, and we could talk really far because there was no static - for instance, from 20 miles into NJ to 10 miles into Phila. We all built big beam and quad antennas with rotators and also had rigs in the car.

Because we were "illegal" we all had aliases, like I was "Handyman" and a friend was "agent 99", etc. etc. - Well, more and more folks got on and we all became friends in that chat room sort of way - and since we were all playing characters, we had certain impressions of who each person was....for instance, a woman who might sound sexy, a guy who might sound gruff or very commanding, etc. etc.

Then someone suggested a get-together...in person. We traveled about 25 miles to the hosts house and , lo and behold, met a bunch of folks that looked like they had just been thrown off the Jerry Springer show! That was the end of all the fun...now, when we heard the commanding voice on the power mike CD we knew it was the short old dude with the comb-over. Somehow, the fun was out of it......

Anyway, a funny story - you had to be there. Shows the power of the human imagination.

So what happens when one tells the spouse "I'm going 150 miles to meet a bunch of people who hang with me on the hearth forum"?

Same thing I told her when I went to Hot Flame's home to help him install his stove
Ok Im 5'7" so there will be no sunrises . about 153 lbs Don't really know no scales here
wife wanted it that way. Couple years older than you Craig. Builder Remodeler and part time inspector
elkimmeg my wife ellen first daughter kim second daughter Margaret ( meg)

I knew I could get you to do a few rifts of blues. Hey if there is enough home brew maybe no
one will remember or care just a good time had by all

For some reason, I'm picturing some remote woodsy deliverance type area. Depending on how many people we're talking about, maybe someone's got a nice piece of land to host the party, (I mean gathering to discuss burn and wood splitting techniques). I'm all for CT. That way PA, NY and NJ aren't left driving too far. I'm already liking the guy to girl ratio on this forum. It would be a trip to meet you guys in person.

babalu87 said:
Todd said:
IPA- India Pale Ale- A strong, hoppy ale originaly brewed for the British troops in India.

It was actually created out of necessity
English Ales for the most part were lightly hopped and low in alcohol
Beer that was brought by ship to the troops in India often spoiled in the cask on the trip South

Brewers, knowing higher alcohol and hops were natural preservatives, made the decision to spice up the brew with more hops and increase the grains to achieve a higher alcohol content

IPAs were some of the strongest beers around during that time period

Drying hops on the hearth................... ametuer
You must toast your grains on the stovetop in a popcorn popper to be truely authentic to our forefathers ;)

Oh yeah, Oh yeah...I do that. I brew on top of the stove to. %-P

It's bound to be a bitter disappointment all around, that's for sure. But since we're not looking for romance (speaking for myself only, of course) and there's beer involved, I'd make an effort to at least show up.

If you're looking for an in-woods location, we can meet on the woodlot where I cut all my wood just outside of Old Forge, NY. Nice little tourist town in the Adirondacks. Nobody who shows up with a pickup or a trailer goes home empty.

How's that for an incentive?

I can live with that. Old forge isn't a super long ride and it gives me an excuse to stop at my grandparents house in Downsville.

Obligatory picture of my grandparents house:

Attachments

• 100_0577.jpg
    100_0577.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 418
boy i'd be alot less stressed out if i could wake up to that view everyday.

hey craig i used to do that meeting thing to. we called them a eyeball.
and i do hear that about having a eyeball with a bunch of jerry springer rejects.
and i used to do the same thing with the channels until i got yelled at from some guy saying that THIS A CIVIL AIR DEFENSE CHANNEL AND YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO BE USING IT.

i thought everthing was forgotten about those days.

home brew some sammy's yah or samual smith's or old peculiar oh yah i can taste it.
with some nice smoked ribs (smoked with are own wood of course.)

A gathering would be GREAT!!

I have to plug for having it in NJ. This place is my neck of the woods. Not in a high traffic area. Used to be a ski place, but now exclusively events. All you can eat and drink (non-alcoholic) for $40 per (less after Labor Day), so you can mingle all day long and not have to worry about anything. Been to a couple events here and had a great time. Food was good. Don't remember if you can BYOB if you don't like Coors draft.

Check it out: http://www.craigmeur.com/

Services
Ice Cream
Colombo Frozen Yogurt
Clam Chowder
Soda, Iced Tea, Lemonade, and Coors Draft Beer
Barbecue Chicken
Grilled Sweet Sausage (w/ peppers and onions)
Baked Ziti (w/ mozzarella and ricotta cheese)
Hamburgers
Cheeseburgers
Premium All Beef Hot Dogs
Corn on the Cob
Hero Sandwiches (make your own!)
Boston Baked Beans
Cold Cut Platter
Mixed Cheeses
Tossed Salad
Potato Salad
Macaroni Salad
Cole Slaw
Sliced Tomatoes and other Garnishes

Hot Roast Beef and Gravy - served from 4 to 5 p.m.
Watermelon - served from 4:30 - 5:00 p.m.
Meat Products by Boars Head Brand & Angus Beef

Activities and Facilities
(available all day, most equipment provided)
Bank Shot Basketball
Par Pool
2 Softball Fields
6 Tennis Courts
2 Swimming Pools (certified Life Guard always on Duty)
6 Volleyball Courts
Boccie Courts
Full length Basketball Courts
Horseshoe Pits
Children's Game and Play Area
25,000 Square Feet of Shelter
Ping Pong Tables
Badminton
Miniature Golf
Frisbee Golf
Shuffleboard
Nature Walk
Dressing Rooms
Showers
Pavilions
Ample Free Parking
Pine Shaded Groves

Amusements
(available from Noon to 5:00 pm)
Curly Q Water Flume Ride
Wet N Wild Bumper Boats
Pony Rides
Hoops Basketball Challenge
Krazy Maze
Circus & Castle Bounce
Balloon Typhoon

Sue,

I used to ski there when I was just a little kid!!!!!

We used to like in Bloomingdale and I still have very good memories of tumbling haphazardly down those slopes at Craigmere!

Kewl! We live in Bloomingdale. Taxes are higher than hell, but we love our little hamlet. Only one traffic light. Gotta love it. What street did you live on?

36 Sally Street :) Last house on the right at the dead end

I moved after 4th grade, so I never made it out of Samuel R Donald

What street do you live on?

I know most of yous guys are out on the East Coast, but it would be nice if we could gather a little further inland?

Another vote for CT!!!

Webmaster said:
We traveled about 25 miles to the hosts house and , lo and behold, met a bunch of folks that looked like they had just been thrown off the Jerry Springer show!

Now you're getting personal, Craig.

hardwood715 said:
count me in northeast hyde park NY

Yo hardwood!! I have to second the Hyde Park, NY. If you all want to meet in something like Long Pine, Nebraska, go for it, but You can't beat Hyde Park, NY. Beautiful Hudson River, home of FDR is a great attraction, there's white Oaks there that must be 5' across, and there's two people who want to have it here. What could be more compelling?

elkimmeg said:
Mo can you position it at the top so it does not die in the vast seas and allow others to pipe in with ideas.
Start saving your sky miles. Can any use ethanol for drinking purposes (Shine) I like the wheat idea because many
do not visit the Ash Can. What about setting up a new post for the Nuke plant discussion and let them carry on and port the existing responses there. Mabe if we can pull it off, Dylan and Mike can have their own booth to discuss the ex Nukes. I would love to meet Harry, Warren. that Mountain Guy Maybe verynycegirl can make a few of those subs. Shane Seagan Rudy Sandy Annette
John tugs a Bgreen and so many others and sip Todd's home brew

Hmmmm....like to meet you too, Elk....but I fear the assembly.....a bunch of ethanol-crazed super Neo-Liberal Activists with chainsaws and fire......methinks its a conspiracy to lure my Republican NeoCon bum over there as the sacrificial lamb! *shiver*
:red:

HarryBack said:
Hmmmm....like to meet you too, Elk....but I fear the assembly.....a bunch of ethanol-crazed super Neo-Liberal Activists with chainsaws and fire......methinks its a conspiracy to lure my Republican NeoCon bum over there as the sacrificial lamb! *shiver*
:red:

Hey, what's neo-liberal? I assumed most liberals have sold out for money and become conservatives....so how are there new liberals?

I'm 52 and was in DC protesting against Vietnam when I was 16.....that's 36 years - call me late for dinner, but I figured out what was going on after I heard the first couple Hendrix Alblums!

"Oh say, can you see it's really such a mess
Every inch of Earth is a fighting nest
Giant pencil and lipstick tube shaped things,
Continue to rain and cause scream and pain
And the arctic stains from silver blue to bloody red
as our feet find the sand, and the sea"

And, of course, Castles Made Of Sand!

Status
Not open for further replies.