What about Federal subsidy to wood manufactured heating products?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

I know it has been said that every gallon of gasoline is subsidized 1$ by the federal government. This being true, then why not include renewable wood manufactured products?

The government want us to use less imported fuel, then why not help us with fuel here and available? Why not make it economically feasible for the populace to use?

1. Because they would want to tax the wood and then subsidize.

2. They won't even recognize wood burning for energy saving tax credits, why would they subsidize the fuel.

3. Those subsides don't come out of thin air. I get taxed and then it is doled out in subsidies. Do I want more taxation? I dun tink sooo Lucy.

Mobil dont own trees

The question was about manufactured wood products. They are already taxed and most likely at multiple steps of the process. Giving them a healthy tax break all the way from B&O taxes to sales taxes would be a good start. They aren't recognized, because we aren't pushing for them to be recognized as an energy alternative. Start asking your legistlaturers why not? Start shifting the billions in oil subsidies to alternative fuel industries because we still need to heat our homes.

With a lot more stoves coming online, the bulk in urban areas must burn manufactured wood products just to keep the pollution down. Average manufactured log burns with 75-80% less particulate matter than wood.

While I would love to see the goverment help develop alternative fuel sources, I'm not sure they're heart is in the right place. Money or votes, this is where the people can be powerful. Most of us (maybe all of us) don't have the money necessary to form a lobbying group. BUT we do have votes and can organize to influence politicians.

The more people on the "green" side the better. Education is the key, long term. I see the alternative fuel movement as a grass roots effort. Now is the time to get the word out, influence our young people, and be organized rather than allow apathy to take over. Or worse yet, allow the goverment to literally ban our lifestyle.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I'm volunteering myself to draft a letter to send to "the man". Folks, please speak up and give me some ideas on issues important to include and exclude. When the information is gathered I'll work behind the scenes with some other members here and create a draft.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.