What about those wood sellers and others who do not give what they claim?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Bogydave has a good thread going and he is asking about wood sellers not giving what they claim and not dry wood, etc. I started to answer in a post but instead decided to start this one.

It is really a shame that it is the way it is with wood sellers and it does seem to be the rule rather than the exception. It should not be this way. But beware! We, as good people should be on guard so that we do not become this way in our own dealings with people. It seems to be only too easy for folks to say and think that "everybody does it" and then all we get is people screwing people and nobody wanting to trust anyone else. No, better is to always try to set a good example.

For example, if I were to attempt to start a wood selling business I would definitely follow the philosophy I've always tried to follow throughout my business career. That is, give more than expected. With me, this started out with doing more work than expected when I worked for others. Sure, people scoffed, mocked me, laughed at me and told me how much of a fool I was.

I recall when I tried working in a manufacturing place. It was my first time of working with a large group of people (I was just a farm kid). I was shown how to do the job and very soon I was putting out more work than the rest of the guys. They, of course, told me to slow down as I was a fool. They asked if I realized that the laziest guy in the department was actually making more money than I was at that time (until I reached top pay). So why would I work any harder than he was? Why would I work any harder than any of them in the whole shop? Well, it is because I was taught to give more than expected. A man pays you for a days work; make sure he gets his money's worth.

Perhaps I was a fool because I did work harder but there also were some benefits. I soon made many friends and was respected in the shop by most, but not all, of the employees. I took it upon myself to learn other jobs in the department where I worked. I actually was given pretty free reign and could actually change jobs without asking the boss! So, I learned. It did not take long at all before I could do any job there. Long story cut short, when I finally left that place, I was the plant foreman. Yes, I had moved up a bit. This is quite typical of all places where I worked for someone else.

Naturally, I was called some names and mocked and even some nasty stories or rumors got started. Most of them never amounted to much and one just has to expect this sort of thing. You don't have to like it but have to accept it because there are always folks who do not agree with you and would love to see you fall on your face.

On the wood business. How would I do it? First, I might charge just a bit more than others but the buyers would actually be getting a better bargain. I would cut and season the wood properly and not sell any (unless expressly requested) wood that was not ready to burn. I would tell every customer what type of wood it was and the way this particular wood burns best. For ever cord of wood I sold, there would also be enough kindling (free) to start several fires. A cord of wood, or just a tad over a cord would be given when someone ordered a cord. Better they get more than less.

If I made delivery, I would need to know where it was to be placed. Would it need to be stacked? Could I drive on a lawn? Would I be expected to rake the lawn clean after a delivery. Many other things would need to be known beforehand. Naturally, an extra charge would be necessary for stacking or cleaning up or if wood had to be carried a distance, etc.

I do believe a fellow could build a business doing these things but it would take some time. This would be a project that would take several years before the business would turn into a paying proposition. It is this reason why wood sellers do some of the things they do. Cutting, splitting and stacking wood is not easy. It is hard physical work and the chances of injuries are much higher than in many other types of work. Therefore, very, very few could or would attempt to do business this way and I doubt that will change.

The biggest point I wish to make with this thread is to ask everyone to be very aware that they do not become like so many when they think everyone is out to screw everyone else. Life is too short to be this way just as life is too short to hate or let someone who has done you wrong ruin your whole frame of mind. Yes, we will get taken a few times in life but we'll also reap many benefits which will outweigh the bad things.

I really feel sorry for those folks who make it a point to beat others out of some cash or material goods.

I just had a very bad dealing with a fellow who lives very close to us. It all started when I tried to help a neighbor kid. Driving around the woods with a golf cart and it stopped and would not start. She and her friend came to our house to see if I could help. Of course I'll help. But I could not get it started. I called and when her father came he could not either. I found that the battery was pretty low so jump started it with my atv. Long story short, it screwed up my atv. I learned of a fellow only a couple miles away who is a certified mechanic for Yamaha (my atv) and was recommended to me. I took it to him. I got screwed....big time. Yes, I got a bit ticked and actually had to leave his place quickly before certain things were about to happen. Yup. I was mad.

So I got the atv back (unfixed) and have taken it somewhere else to be fixed. The thing has already cost me over $400 and still is not running. I have no idea how much more it will take. So, should I now become like so many and start to hate? Should I distrust others? Should I try to screw others because, after all, they are all out to screw me? Well, I still have to live with myself so I choose to not hate. No, I don't like it but I have to live with it now. I can't change the situation but I can change my attitude towards the situation. btw, I also have a neighbor who wants to go and bend this fellows nose! Maybe an attitude adjustment is in order, but it would not be worth a thing because no doubt the fellow would then try to sue and we know what sewers are.

Good luck to all in your dealings and Happy Thanksgiving to all. Don't let others ruin your party.

Nice Post. One thing I'll add is that I don't see any problem with selling unseasoned firewood, as long as you are honest about the condition of the wood. some people might wnat to buy green wood and season it themselves to save a buck or to make sure it is seasoned, or maybe even because they prefer to burn green wood. I think it is fine to sell them what they want, as long as both buyer and seller are clear what is being bought and sold.

I fully agree with that Wood Duck.

Well said.If you are willing to put in the time and effort a person's work will not go unoticed by everyone.Granted some will scoff and kick up a fuss like you said but in the end if you can sit back at the end of the day and feel like you accomplished what you set out to do it feels pretty damned good. BTW people scoffed at me when we were house hunting and I HAD to have a wood stove in it...Then oil shot up to about $5 a gallon. :smirk:

SO well put , Sav. I just finished responding to an e-mail from a fellow that just got burned by a ruthless 'firewood dealer' on CL. I directed him to the most dry wood I know of (besides mine ;-) ) ,but cant help being aggrevated for the guy. A few short seasons ago it was me,been there-done that-got burned. I agree that selling green wood is FINE, IF thats what both buyer AND seller agree upon! I make it my business to "do unto others ,as I would have them do unto me" ,as taught. But it seems that MORE often than not , people choose the firewood business to make a quick (albeit unscrupulous) buck. Naturally, I steered my new friend to Hearth.com for some good, old fashioned, LEARNIN! :)......anyway, good job, Dennis.

Just out of curiosity - If I'm a wood-seller, how is it that selling green wood is more profitable for me than selling seasoned wood? I know, I know, you have to get the stuff up and sitting for a year or more before you can start to sell it. But - once you have that "stash" of wood, each year you'll be cutting and splitting and stacking for the following year's sales. Is it that there is so much DEMAND for firewood that a guy just can't resist selling what he intends to season for next year?

Enlighten me oh wise ones.

-Speak

If you sold cars, you would need to have a large area to keep ALL THOSE CARS. But if you could just steal a car everyday and sell it, you would not need all that room. It's pretty much the same with firewood. It taks ALOT OF ROOM to store hundreds of cords of drying firewood - not to mention all the work. If you could just split a few cords- lie and say that there 'seasoned', charge a premium price, and then short someone - you are doing MUCH less work for ALOT more $$.......not to mention that the are ALOT of angry people that want to break your legs.

I am sure you are correct. I am also sure that of those 'uneducated,innocent' few dealers, that within 3 hrs of their FIRST sale ,they then KNOW that they are NOT selling seasoned wood.....and continue to do so. At that point ,they are no longer just uneducated, but then become culpable in a dishonest transaction. Listen, I'm all for 'Love thy neighbor', and 'live and let live'. But this is truly becoming an EPIDEMIC - with dis-honorable transactions being the rule-not the exception! It really chaps my arse! ......and I dont even buy anymore!!!

Okay,I've got 1. It's winded,so bear with me.I just started a side thing selling firewood.
On Kijiji there was a guy selling 10 cord of Buckskin Larch.I racked my brain how to make
this work. Good firewood commands a very hefty price where I live.So I borrow a trailer and
make 3 trips to get this wood. 3.3 cord at a time 4 hours each way + 1.5 hours loading.About
12 hours each day X 3 to get the 10 cord all in rounds.I purchased a splitter for $1700 and started.
I placed an ad and had a reply 2 days later.I wanted to make SURE that there was a cord.I spent
A LOT of time trying to fit 1/2 a cord onto each pallet.I finally did it got it shrink wrapped, loaded into
the truck with a forklift and show up to the guys place.He's a real nice guy, close to my age (I'm 39)
he checks out the wood and comments how nice and dry it was and clean.There was not a single piece
in that cord with a beetle hole or rot.100% Primo.He's happy, I'm happy.I helped stack the wood in 2
different locations and was on my way.What a great day I thought,I made my first sale.
3 hours later I get a phone call," Are you the guy who sold my son that wood" I reply yes and he
goes on to tell me that there is no way in hell that's a cord of wood.I calmly said that a cord is 4X4X8,
he YELLS at me that he knows what a G D cord of wood is and that ain't no cord.I told him that I was on my
way and for every cubic foot I was off I would replace it with 2.He tells me I'd better bring a lot of wood!
NOW I'M MAD!!! I load up the truck,threw in a few sheets of plywood,and off I went.I get there and this guy
about 65 years old comes over to my truck aggressively, spouting off about "You F'N firewood Guys"!!! I got
out of my truck and laid out the plywood.1 on the ground,1 on the back and a couple partial sheets for the
sides with some cinder blocks holding them in place.I said start stacking.So there's 3 of us,the guy who bought
the wood who doesn't know what to think,I'm PO'd and the old man making damn sure that the wood is as tight
as it can be.We end up with a full cord + about 2 good wheel barrows.There's well over a cord!The old guy
non-chalantly says" Humm..didn't look like a cord to me." no apology.I told him I should have told him double
or nothing on the cord and I didn't say it like I was joking either.I told him next time "watch who you call
a F'N Liar" and sped off.
Here's the shame.That guy paid for a full cord and that is what he got.Now he won't buy from me again because
he's probably embarassed by the situation.I don't know that I want to be called a liar again and might not go
back anyways.The only guy not affected is his D-HEAD father who ruined a good thing by assuming all wood guys
are crooks.

I'm still mad about it now because of the work I put in only to be accused of being a cheat.

I was a siding contractor for many years before returning to school. Every summer you would see a couple dozen trucks pop up with hand painted signs "$%^^% construction" No liscense, improper tools, training, safety equip etc etc. Than after summer I would fix alot of mistakes made by them.

Wood sellers around here are the same brand of people. They think anyone can do it. The problem in THEY CAN. There's no quality control from the township, no license, nothing.

They recently enforced some requirements to do contracting work within city limits, not outside the city though. I believe that's next.

If there was a way to regulate the wood sellers would that help? That means more government in our daily lives.....I don't need anymore of that as much as the next guy.

My answer, don't know how to get it done, is FIX THE BUYER, then the seller will have to change or be phased out.

My wife works at our local TV station running the website, I've often thought about asking if the station would be interested in doing a public service type spot and interview me on how burn safely. I would of course repeat all my learning here and maybe that would save a few avg folk getting burned, pun intended.

OTOTOKS GUY- Honesty is its own reward, and Just like 'karma is a groan' - karma is also your lifes savior. You will be rewarded MANY times over in your life for being a honorable man. Good job.
CKAROTKA- I concur. crooks suck, but people HAVE GOT TO STOP buying this @#%^$& wood from these guys.

Sorry you learned the hard way on jump starting. With the old cars all you could do is take out the alternator diodes, not a real big deal. Not so anymore with computor ignitions etc. Hope you get her goin soon, Randy

Frankly I think it would be pretty tough to make a decent go of a firewood business unless you have access to a lot of wood (and I mean a lot), and have some heavy equipment for loading and a wood processor like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNM-BROyrpA and big delivery trucks and least one employee to help run the equipment or deliver the wood.

My wood is pretty accessible and I cut and haul my own firewood, so I have a good idea of how much work is involved. But going by what firewood goes for around here, if I was to quit my regular job (I'm a contractor) I would have to cut and haul about 400 cords of firewood a year to make my average yearly income, and that's assuming I can get all the wood for free, which I probably couldn't. The free firewood permits I use for my personal firewood are for just that "personal firewood", if I started making a business out of it I would have to get some sort of special logging type permit which, at the very least, would run into much higher overhead and increase the number of cords I would have to process.

I know one guy locally who sells firewood and the only way he makes a go of it is because he doesn't cut, split or stack the wood at all. He has a deal where he gets cut-off post ends from a local mill. They use a loader to dump the wood into his trailer and he delivers and dumps the wood and charges about $100 a cord, I heard that he gets the wood free, but pays a small fee for the loader to fill his trailer. Most everyone around here who buys firewood gets it from him. That said I did run into a couple guys the other day trying to sell some wood they had in the back of their truck, the driver was friendly enough, but his passenger looked (and talked) like he was pretty stoned. Likely the guys were down and out and not very employable, and this was the best way they knew how to make "an honest" buck. They were asking $150 for their pick-up load of Douglas fir.

All things considered, I think I'll stick to getting firewood as a sort of fun recreational hobby I do about 5 times a year. If I had to start processing hundreds of cords a year to pay my mortgage and feed my family the "fun" would soon vanish and it would become just another PITA job. No thanks.

Random thoughts . . .

I haven't sold wood in a very, very long time . . . but when I did I subscribed to the philosophy that it was always better to sell more wood than less wood . . . some things are more important than money . . . and one of those things is my reputation in a small town . . . I would rather folks know me for being honest than to make a few extra bucks by shorting someone on a sale either intentionally or unintentionally. I always figured it wasn't all that hard or much of an expense if I made sure a cord of wood was actually a full cord . . . plus a bit more. I did this when cutting pulp wood . . . and I did this as a kid when I cut small alders for an elderly lady who lived off the grid by herself . . . well she did have some goats that she lived with as well.

My philosophy in life when it comes to business deals can be summed up in three beliefs. I use these beliefs anytime I am offering a service or selling an item to another person. I cannot control what folks will do or how they believe when they sell to me . . . but I can set an example and be true to myself when I sell to others.

1. Always give more than what is expected. It doesn't matter if you're selling wood, selling a used car or teaching a CPR class . . . be sure that when folks walk away from the business transaction that they get more than expected and that they feel as though they were treated more than fairly. I think to myself of all the times when my expectations were surpassed . . . and how good that felt . . . and how I remembered that person or that business when it came time to do business with them in the future.

2. Always give a fair deal. Money will buy many things, but it will not buy happiness, a good reputation or good friends. When someone buys a snowmobile or ATV from me I want them to feel as though both of us -- the buyer and seller -- got a fair deal. I do not need to squeeze every last dollar out of a deal . . . if I am happy with the sale and the buyer feels as though they got a good deal and are happy things are good. I remember how it feels to leave a car dealer and feel as though you were screwed . . . or how I have left a car dealer and felt as though as both the dealer and I ended up happy as the neither made a "killing" at the other's expense . . . but one of us left with a good deal and the other left with a bit of money in their pocket . . . and a whole lot of good will to be cashed in on a future purchase.

3. Always be honest. I don't care if being honest hurts a deal. I would rather be honest with a person and lose a sale than to have them come back and feel as though they were cheated because someone wasn't truthful with them. For example, right now I'm selling my sled and everyone that calls I go right down the list of everything that is wrong or I feel should be fixed. The funny thing is . . . when you are honest in this fashion I think folks tend to gravitate towards the sale . . . they realize that you are not trying to hide anything or be dishonest . . . they know the faults and can then make an educated decision on whether the price and positive attributes of the item outweigh the potential problems.

I think when folks and businesses follow these rules . . . these guidelines . . . they are often successful in the long run. In small towns there is a reason why the local chainsaw shop still thrives when big box stores have saws being sold for a lot less . . . there is a reason why the hardware store downtown can still compete against the new ginormous hardware store in town . . . there is a reason why the local Ma and Pa Restaurant still is going strong when there are all kinds of chain restaurants to eat at . . . most of it comes down to the fact that people want to be treated decently.

Some final thoughts . . .

Quite honestly in my business dealings I don't act on my principles just because it matters what others think of me . . . although to be fair that plays a part . . . rather, what I do and say in my business transactions is done because at the end of the deal, at the end of the work week . . . I have to live with myself and ask myself if I was decent and fair in dealing with another person.

Getting mad over bad deals and business practices . . . it's OK to get mad . . . but realize that most of the time things in life (even debates involving politics) do not have life and death consequences . . . too often we humans get worked up about the small things in life and fail to see the truly important issues around us. Being shorted a bit on wood is not one of those life and death issues . . . aggravating yes . . . but being short on wood will most likely not result in anyone dying.

Finally, WoodFanatic said it well . . . karma is a groan . . . or in my own words . . . When you act bad or do bad things, do not be surprised to find bad things tend to happen to you . . . and when you act good or do good things, do not be surprised when good things happen to you.

SpeakEasy said:
Just out of curiosity - If I'm a wood-seller, how is it that selling green wood is more profitable for me than selling seasoned wood? I know, I know, you have to get the stuff up and sitting for a year or more before you can start to sell it. But - once you have that "stash" of wood, each year you'll be cutting and splitting and stacking for the following year's sales. Is it that there is so much DEMAND for firewood that a guy just can't resist selling what he intends to season for next year?

Around here, the main sellers are offering cords in 8-foot logs, bucked to your length spec, and bucked to your length and split. The 8 footers are their 'raw' product after processing the trees and they pull from that inventory when someone wants bucked or split wood, cutting and/or splitting right before delivery.

If they were to buck or split logs prospectively, they've limited the number of ways they can sell their product, as well as reduced the likelihood that they can provide what the customer requests. If they buck, split, and season 20 inchers and they get a call for 16s, they're out of luck. Same works in reverse. So unless they're going to process a LOT of wood to have a split inventory in various lengths, plus process even more to replace their log stock in case they don't sell the split and seasoned stuff, it would actually hurt them to sell truly seasoned wood.

It's similar to what I do when I sell my writing. I send a prospective summary to a client with one or two paragraphs written in the proposal. That's the 'log.' If they agree that they want it and give me the requirements that have to be met, I pull the materials together and write the article or story. But I don't turn every idea into a story ahead of time because I would end up with a number of final products that didn't match the client's need and have wasted a lot of my time. Granted, I don't promise a 24-hour delivery, nor should those sellers promise seasoned firewood.

Good Posts, and I like Jakes thoughts on giving a little more.
Before I started scounging, I finally found an honest wood seller.
First 2 years here I got 2 cords c/s/d and after he left I stacked it all to make sure I wasn't left short as I was in prior years.
After stacking for 2 years, I always got a little more than 2 cords and I stacked it as tight as I possibly good.
Now that I found this gent, I'll never measure deliveries from him again as I know his truck and what it holds.
So, my thoughts are find someone you can trust and stick with them. (I can always find someone cheaper on CL for $10-20 cord, but 99 % of the time I know I'll be calling back to ask when are they going to deliver the other half of the wood :)

FF Jake - I'm firing up the next load in your honor, my friend. Well said - well spoken. ;-)

Singed Eyebrows said:
Sorry you learned the hard way on jump starting. With the old cars all you could do is take out the alternator diodes, not a real big deal. Not so anymore with computor ignitions etc. Hope you get her goin soon, Randy

Thanks Randy. I took it to a dealer and he called today. Hopefully it will be ready next Tuesday or Wednesday. Depends partly on when the part comes in as it is not in stock. Bad news is over $400 yet to fix it. This has been one very expensive lesson....

If your a buyer stack out a place for a cord of wood....Let the seller know where and how your going to store this cord of wood. Ask for season wood even burn a few pieces out of there pile or stack....

Good thread.
FixedGearFlyer has some really good info. re: "stocking" a variety of product for sale. Cutting all that wood on speculation of what folks want only works when you actually have experience in your area, and KNOWING what they normally want.
There are several wood sellers in the area, but I only trust one who c/s/d, and he has stacks all over his property (looks kind of like zap's :cheese: , but not as neat).
I think at some point, I'll not be processing my own, and by that time, he'll be out of the biz. However, I will continue to either scrounge from the woods or buy log loads so that I can control the whole process.
As to the whole "golden rule" thing, it's what we were taught, and I've tried to live by my whole life (sometimes falling short, but always striving for).
Sometimes it works, others, ......not so much, but to me, it's just the right thing to do.
I think Dennis touched on this, that, I can't control what others do or think, I can only control how I act and react. Lessons learned, move on, and try not to dwell. Life is much too short.
Enough rambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.