What Aew The Requirements, Clearances Ect For P Vent Roof & Soffit Penetration?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Chazy, NY 12921
I would rather do this just once so I am going to ask. I have had my pellet / corn stove venting via a side wall into a 5' vertical termination. Getting sick of soot on my deck I am going to go up the wall another 5' which will go through the plastic soffit and roof to terminate above a galvanized flashing and storm collar.
So just how big do I have to cut the roof hole and do I need any sort of spacing thimbal inside between the soffit and roof? The pipe will be supported and centered by the outlet of the flashing cone. I have seen a reference to having to cut a hole 6" wider than the dia of the pipe mentioned on the Duravent website. Os that necessary or is simply keeping the 3" outer clearance enough. I was going to go larger anyways but not planning on 9". Of course the installation manual for my Countryside stove just leaves this to ones interpretation.........

Cut the 9" hole then with a sheet of sheet metal cut out the center diameter of the pipe The sheet metal will hold and center the pipe from the required distance of near by combustiables but also cover the exposed hole in the sofit. then use the proper roof vent flange supplied by the manufacturer of your pellet vent pipe. One fly in the eye here, have you considered that same exhaust mess can get washed down to your deck below?

So it does have to be 9"then, so be it. Better to cut once than go back again. Everything else makes sense enough, just wanted to make sure. The roof flange is getting put up today, pipe or none.
I considered the deck mess and came up with this. It already is a mess and getting higher will blow it further away before it hits the deck anyways and its in the right direction. Secondly a lot will fall on the roof which will go into the gutter. Thats fine with me. All considered it has to be a lot better than what went before. Last of all I know how to build a scrubber at the back of the wall using a galvanized garbage can and some wire mesh. The rub it that it has a tenancy to rust out as the inventor found out. Still, I already have the small 18 gallon galvanized can and it can be up-armored using some of the plentiful heavy sheet I have laying around. In these $$$ days I even resorted to cutting up my old oil tank ( nasty job I might add) for steel. I can semi line it with that and do the deed or just swap out the can every year or so. It doesn't even look bad and according to the author it works quite well. Thanks for the help ELk!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.