What air opening for PE super insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I have been cruising the with the air control completely closed. The secondaries are very good (probably helped by my very dry wood). However, I get a box full of red coals after every load. I've been at 600-650 temps behind the door. I am curious if other PE owners are running the same way. Tonight I am running with the air cracked open to see what results I get.

How quickly are you turning down the air? Temp?

How dry is your very dry wood? Not being nasty, just askin'.

Thing can put out some heat, can't it?

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
How quickly are you turning down the air? Temp?

How dry is your very dry wood? Not being nasty, just askin'.

Thing can put out some heat, can't it?

I never really timed my adjustments. I go by the burn rate but roughly from cold start, air wide open for about half hour, put at half way for 5 minutes barely open for maybe 2-3 minutes, then closed.
My wood early in the year was 15-20% moisture. Now I'm running wood that doesn't register on my meter to 15%. That's resplit and checked in September when I moved it closer to the house. I have been burning a mixture of cherry, maple, oak, ash.

Yeah, the stove puts out good heat but not as much as a free standing stove. I'm lucky to hit 76 -78 in my 21x13 living room but I can hit 90 in my 14x16 sunroom w/catherdal ceiling where the free standing stove is. Not that I need it that hot but that option is nice when it hits single digits. 76-78 is plenty warm but I can't get that heat through the house like I can the other stove. Sorry about getting off track here this is an issue I'll keep woking on with air flow and insulation. Right now, I'm curious how everyone else is running their PE.
Thanks!

Once I am at the big coaling stage, I moved them to the front and center, then open up the air about half way to accelerate their burn down and improve the heat off the coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.