what am i doing wrong? probably something stupid...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
I just recently replaced my chain on my poulan pro saw and only used it about 3 hours or so and it's already dulled and not cutting well. What am I doing wrong? My chain bar seems like it's getting way too hot as well. Like I said it's probably something pretty dumb.

Three hours of cutting is a very long time. If I am cutting very hard or dry wood with full-chisel chain, it can get dull before I finish a full tank of gas (well under an hour).

Does your new chain match the markings stamped on your bar (pitch, gauge, number of drive links (DL))?

Does your saw have an adjustable oiler and is it fully opened?

Does your saw chain throw oil from the bar tip when engine is revved out of wood?

What are you cutting (species, dirty wood, dead on the ground, dead standing, dry, etc.)?

TreePointer said:
Three hours of cutting is a very long time. If I am cutting very hard or dry wood with full-chisel chain, it can get dull before I finish a full tank of gas (well under an hour).

OK, I didn't know that about the time, so maybe part of my problem is I just have too high of an expectation.

Does your new chain match the markings stamped on your bar (pitch, gauge, number of drive links (DL))?

The new chain specifically stated it fit my saw model. I have a poulan pro 221, maybe 8 or 9 years old.

Does your saw have an adjustable oiler and is it fully opened?

It has an auto-oiler, no way to change the amount. I have cleaned it and the oil opening is clear as far as I can tell.

Does your saw chain throw oil from the bar tip when engine is revved out of wood?

A little, not much. Could this be part of the problem?

What are you cutting (species, dirty wood, dead on the ground, dead standing, dry, etc.)?

I'm cutting locust trees that have been down since Irene. Most are pretty small, maybe 10 to 15 inches in diameter with a couple larger ones.

I didn't know that either, thanks. Guess it's time to get the file out and start sharpening.

kingston73 said:
I didn't know that either, thanks. Guess it's time to get the file out and start sharpening.

I never go more than every other fill up without a touch up. Good time to take a little break anyway.
I can't imagine going anywhere close to three hours.

Bl can reck chains in a hurry. Anything off center is even quicker. Like a wedge for felling. Milling is not to bad just because there not very wide trees.

Kenster said:
kingston73 said:

I never go more than every other fill up without a touch up. Good time to take a little break anyway.

+2, best advice yet.

north of 60 said:
Kenster said:
kingston73 said:

+2, best advice yet.

+3

Backwoods Savage said:
north of 60 said:
Kenster said:
kingston73 said:

+2, best advice yet.

+3

Just grab another saw. ;-)

kingston73 said:
I just recently replaced my chain on my poulan pro saw and only used it about 3 hours or so and it's already dulled and not cutting well. What am I doing wrong? My chain bar seems like it's getting way too hot as well. Like I said it's probably something pretty dumb.

You're not doing anything wrong. Chains dull with use. They dull a lot faster when cutting dirty wood. It's part of the game.

I'll just add that your chain may just be heating up because your using that dulled chain and pushing harder on the saw. Sharp chains stay cooler.
To check oiling: Run the saw wide open with the tip a few inches from a fresh cut face. You should see an oil line develop in a few seconds. If not check to make sure the oil hole in the bar is not cloged with sawdust.

Status
Not open for further replies.