What am I doing wrong with my wood pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bighappy

Sep 29, 2006
I searched and read through past posts about storage and tought everything was alright. We got some rain a few days before I wanted to start burning so I let the pile dry out and then put a tarp over it so it wouldnt get wet again. Well it seamed to work because the first 10 or 15 burns the wood lit up great. But now for the last 3 or 4 burns Ive been having problems with getting it to light up. Its the same type of wood out of the same pile. It does seem like the wood is damp but not any more so than any of the other Ive used. Do I need to ditch the tarp? Move the pile? Use lighter fluid?j/k

Is it on pallets or off the ground...Most times the pieces close to or on the ground are not as dry as the mid to upper ones. got a picture of the pile?

The pile is on the ground and is about 4 feet tall. The stuff Im using now is top to middle. I just got a digital camera and havent attempted posting pics anywhere yet.

Get some pallets and get your pile off the ground. Don't let the tarp come down over the pile on any side, just let it cover the top. The narrower your stacks and the more holes, the better for air flow, but they can be nice and tall. Ideally you want the prevailing winds blowing though the pile, and full sun as well.

This might sound silly, but does the tarp have a hole in it? Happened to me 2 years ago, put a rock on top to weigh it down and the effect of the wind caused a tiny hole to form under the rock. Worked like a funnel. If that's not the case, any chance that some different type of wood got mixed in? Some wood takes a lot longer than others to be ready.

Rick

I dont cover my wood. The only thing I have is a 50' piece of rolled roofing, which I have and whenever I take from whats under it, I move the rolled roofing over the next and repeat the process. This way it gives the 50' time to dry after being uncovered. The stuff works great, it has never blown off and it can straight downpour and the 50' will be bone dry. If you cover the wood with a tarp on the top and sides, It can and mostly will trap in the moisture thats coming from the wood.

I checked the tarp and didnt see any holes. It is stacked in a row. The tarp does cover the one side and the top and the fence (split privacy)covers part of the other side.

definitely get it off the ground either with pallets or long poles anything is better than in the dirt..Make sure air is on both sides and cover the tops with a couple inch overhang if possible. Could be some green stuff got mixed in with the seasoned...

Pallets and 6 mil plastic. Only over the top of the pile.

My storage area is irregular. I tried pallets on a couple of rows but it puts stress on them. I just put the other rows (3 cuts wide each) on plastic. My experience in the past is that the bottom layer gets frosty and impossible to get up, but not wasted because they'll dry out at some point (like summer, lol).

Warren said:
Pallets and 6 mil plastic. Only over the top of the pile.

Warren's got it right! if no pallets, something to get it off the ground...or you could try a holz hausen. I'm about to do my first this year...lots of wood in a small space.

velvetfoot said:
My storage area is irregular. I tried pallets on a couple of rows but it puts stress on them. I just put the other rows (3 cuts wide each) on plastic. My experience in the past is that the bottom layer gets frosty and impossible to get up, but not wasted because they'll dry out at some point (like summer, lol).

Hmm You need beefier pallets... I have stacks close to 7' high on pallets...no problems.

Pallets are great since they allow air flow underneath.

bighappy said:
I searched and read through past posts about storage and tought everything was alright. We got some rain a few days before I wanted to start burning so I let the pile dry out and then put a tarp over it so it wouldnt get wet again. Well it seamed to work because the first 10 or 15 burns the wood lit up great. But now for the last 3 or 4 burns Ive been having problems with getting it to light up. Its the same type of wood out of the same pile. It does seem like the wood is damp but not any more so than any of the other Ive used. Do I need to ditch the tarp? Move the pile? Use lighter fluid?j/k

Hi bighappy ,

#1 What is the wood ? ie: Elm, Oak, Pine ....

#2 How long ago was it cut down ?

#3 How long ago was the wood split?

#4 How long has the wood been stacked ?

#5 Is the pile in full sun ?

#6 Is the pile by the house ?

#7 Is the pile under any trees ?

#8 Where do you live ( state )

velvetfoot said:

I have the same problem - to level the pallets, I had to put some splits under one end because it's on a slight slope. If you can find some of the pallets used to ship stone, those are really heavy duty and should do the job - even when only supported on two ends they can hold 5-6' tall stacks of wood! When I used lighter duty pallets, I did find that they couldn't take the load beyond a couple feet of wood.

I'd agree with all the other posters suggesting covering top only and getting the piles off the ground.

-Colin

Get wood pallets made from oak. They can be had for free where heavy stuff is shipped/received. Spray some cheap Thompsons water seal on them and they will last for years. You can also put down old carpet scraps then put the pallets on the carpet. This will stop ground moisture from coming up and it will also stop weeds from growing through in the spring.

Roospike said:
bighappy said:

Hi bighappy ,

#1 What is the wood ? ie: Elm, Oak, Pine .... Boxelder

#2 How long ago was it cut down ? 1 1/2 years

#3 How long ago was the wood split? 1 1/2 years

#4 How long has the wood been stacked ? 1 1/2 years

#5 Is the pile in full sun ? yes

#6 Is the pile by the house ? no

#7 Is the pile under any trees ? no

#8 Where do you live ( state )
northern IL

I had the wood on pallets to begin with and then I listened to my dumbass "Mr infinate wisdom"father-in-law and stacked it on the ground because "Thats always the way me and my dad did it when I was a kid". I do things mostly to shut him up so he will stop nagging me and also because Im hoping one day something he suggests will be correct. Guess Im still waiting. Seeings as I tossed the pallets I had I guess Ill have to try to secure some from work and do some re-arranging. Oh, and un-cover the sides. Thanks for the help guys.

bighappy said:
I had the wood on pallets to begin with and then I listened to my dumbass "Mr infinate wisdom"father-in-law and stacked it on the ground because "Thats always the way me and my dad did it when I was a kid". I do things mostly to shut him up so he will stop nagging me and also because Im hoping one day something he suggests will be correct. Guess Im still waiting. Seeings as I tossed the pallets I had I guess Ill have to try to secure some from work and do some re-arranging. Oh, and un-cover the sides. Thanks for the help guys.

Here's another tip - never toss pallets - they make fantastic kindling. ;)
Yea putting the wood on the ground is no good, even putting it on a tarp or plastic sheet is no good. The air gap under your stack keeps the wood from sucking up moisture that will form everyday on all ground surfaces and help move air around your pile.

bighappy said:

Hi bighappy ,

#1 What is the wood ? ie: Elm, Oak, Pine .... Boxelder

#2 How long ago was it cut down ? 1 1/2 years

#3 How long ago was the wood split? 1 1/2 years

#4 How long has the wood been stacked ? 1 1/2 years

#5 Is the pile in full sun ? yes

#6 Is the pile by the house ? no

#7 Is the pile under any trees ? no

#8 Where do you live ( state )northern IL [/quote]

Well it looks like your set to go with that.

Good advise on the pallets and tarp the top and keep the sides open.

The one thing I've found on 6mil plastic on top is that it's hard to keep on the pile (blows away easily) and if it gets wet, you get puddles on the top of the plastic. My solution was to put wire roll (the green stuff) fencing on top of the pile, then put the plastic on top of the wire fencing. I hold the plastic on top of the fencing with rock I had the fencing laying around so was a good use of that. Really keeps the air flow over the pile a lot more free flowing than putting the plastic directly on the wood. I also notice a lot less condensation on the underside of the plastic when I've covered stacks of freshly cut and split wood.

I said it wrong, once the rolled roofing is placed over that area the wood dries. It keeps the rain and snow off that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.