What am I doing wrong

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digger104

Sep 6, 2008
Central Pa.
I start my Tasso boiler with wood, after about 5 hours I change to coal, burns great all day, I bank the fire around 10pm, then in the morning around 8:00 am is where the trouble begins, I can not keep the fire burning, I have tried for the last three days, I try different things, I open the draft and damper, I shake the grates a little till I see a few hot coals in the ash pit, then I add coal, Then I tried not shaking the grates, then adding coal, and then moving the fire around in the stove and then adding coal, Each time I started with a fair bed of coals. I even tried to put air in the draft with a shop vac. Every time the fire just dies out. I must be doing some thing wrong, because it burn so nice till I try building it up in the morning.

I have not burnt coal in twenty years but you might try opening the drafts for a short while before you add coal to get the draft going.

Status
Not open for further replies.