1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What are good questions to ask Chimney Sweep in checkup before an install?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by OldLumberKid, Dec 30, 2012.

1. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    I hope to be doing an insert install at some point, but possibly burning using an open fireplace before then.

What are some good questions to ask a reputable Chimney Sweep during his checkup ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    You will need to have the chimney clean before installing a liner for the insert. Ask the sweep about:
    The condition of the chimney, interior and exterior.
    The degree of creosote accumulation.
    Is the chimney code compliant?
    Is the chimney tile lined and if yes, what size tile?
    Is the chimney a straight shot down or are there offsets?
    How will Santa get down if there's an insert in place? j/k :p
    pen and OldLumberKid like this.
  3. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Some chimney sweeps have camera systems they can send down the flue. If there is one in the area near you that has this technology, I would highly recommend it. We found that the mortar between tiles in my chimney had deteriorated.m
    OldLumberKid and stoveguy2esw like this.
  4. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    a new installation should be preceded with a level 2 inspection by a certified sweep, this would include the checks mentioned above. for sake of safety which makes me look like a mother hen anyway, if you are new to the house and were not present when this fireplace was used regularly a level 2 inspection SHOULD be performed before even using the open fireplace IMHO, we don't know what the previous owner's burning habits were or even if the flue is built to code. fire is not a joke a fireplace may look like a massive impregnable thing, but they can sustain damage which you may not be able to see but can come back to bite you. if you are going to eventually install an insert you will need this done anyway, search you local pages for sweeps, ask for certifications and references, a true professional should have no issue providing this, have the inspection done, and mention a possible future install of an insert, might even be able to set the foundation of a deal with him to do your installation or at least get a feel for the front end cost for it.
  5. OldLumberKid

OldLumberKid Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sandyland
    Awesome begreen. That's a few more questions than I'd thought of — knew I'd come to the right place!

I've heard of that, and almost assumed this highly rated sweep would have it, but I think I'm going to make sure to ask in advance about that. I can see I have two clay-colored liners, but I'd like to know whether they are sound or not.

Thanks very much. That's [Level 2] is exactly what I want to ask for, but didn't know the words, and why I am enlisting the services of a recommended sweep, versus some of the fly-by-night operations that have cruised around here. (Especially the young bunch with the very fancy looking van, who did practically bugger all the last time it was checked.