What are good questions to ask Chimney Sweep in checkup before an install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldLumberKid

Feeling the Heat
I hope to be doing an insert install at some point, but possibly burning using an open fireplace before then.

What are some good questions to ask a reputable Chimney Sweep during his checkup ?

You will need to have the chimney clean before installing a liner for the insert. Ask the sweep about:
The condition of the chimney, interior and exterior.
The degree of creosote accumulation.
Is the chimney code compliant?
Is the chimney tile lined and if yes, what size tile?
Is the chimney a straight shot down or are there offsets?
How will Santa get down if there's an insert in place? j/k :p

Some chimney sweeps have camera systems they can send down the flue. If there is one in the area near you that has this technology, I would highly recommend it. We found that the mortar between tiles in my chimney had deteriorated.m

a new installation should be preceded with a level 2 inspection by a certified sweep, this would include the checks mentioned above. for sake of safety which makes me look like a mother hen anyway, if you are new to the house and were not present when this fireplace was used regularly a level 2 inspection SHOULD be performed before even using the open fireplace IMHO, we don't know what the previous owner's burning habits were or even if the flue is built to code. fire is not a joke a fireplace may look like a massive impregnable thing, but they can sustain damage which you may not be able to see but can come back to bite you. if you are going to eventually install an insert you will need this done anyway, search you local pages for sweeps, ask for certifications and references, a true professional should have no issue providing this, have the inspection done, and mention a possible future install of an insert, might even be able to set the foundation of a deal with him to do your installation or at least get a feel for the front end cost for it.

You will need to have the chimney clean before installing a liner for the insert. Ask the sweep about:
The condition of the chimney, interior and exterior.
The degree of creosote accumulation.
Is the chimney code compliant?
Is the chimney tile lined and if yes, what size tile?
Is the chimney a straight shot down or are there offsets?
How will Santa get down if there's an insert in place? j/k :p

Awesome begreen. That's a few more questions than I'd thought of — knew I'd come to the right place!

Some chimney sweeps have camera systems they can send down the flue. If there is one in the area near you that has this technology, I would highly recommend it. We found that the mortar between tiles in my chimney had deteriorated.m
I've heard of that, and almost assumed this highly rated sweep would have it, but I think I'm going to make sure to ask in advance about that. I can see I have two clay-colored liners, but I'd like to know whether they are sound or not.

a new installation should be preceded with a level 2 inspection by a certified sweep, this would include the checks mentioned above. for sake of safety which makes me look like a mother hen anyway, if you are new to the house and were not present when this fireplace was used regularly a level 2 inspection SHOULD be performed before even using the open fireplace IMHO, we don't know what the previous owner's burning habits were or even if the flue is built to code. fire is not a joke a fireplace may look like a massive impregnable thing, but they can sustain damage which you may not be able to see but can come back to bite you. if you are going to eventually install an insert you will need this done anyway
Thanks very much. That's [Level 2] is exactly what I want to ask for, but didn't know the words, and why I am enlisting the services of a recommended sweep, versus some of the fly-by-night operations that have cruised around here. (Especially the young bunch with the very fancy looking van, who did practically bugger all the last time it was checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.