What are my options - Wood Burning Insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_dude

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Southern WI
I am brand new to the forum, and I am quite impressed with what I have learned so far. I have done some searching, but I need to understand what my options are for my specific situation. Here it is:

My house is 6 months old, purchased as a spec. home. In the great room, is beautiful floor to ceiling faux field stone work - it is flat face stone and mortar. It is approximately 8 feet wide. There is a large raised hearth, which comes out approximately 16 - 18" (it is raised probably 18"). There is currently a Majestic BC36 fireplace installed. It was originally set up with gas logs, but I removed so I could burn wood. However, there is no blower, and the fireplace is all show and no heat. I am therefore trying to research my options, as I want to use wood to help heat my home. I think I want to go to a wood burning insert like the Regency I3100 or I2400, but I don't know if that is the best option? Also, with the mortar work done around the existing fireplace, is this going to be a huge expense, or is it really not that big of a deal to switch out inserts?

I am a complete novice to burning wood, but I have 10 completely wooded acres and have lots of wood already cut and split from the trees removed to make a small yard. I really want to utilize that wood to heat my home. With my current set up, I would be better off selling wood to pay for LP than burn it in my fireplace. Sorry for being so wordy...any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

What is the Chimney? Masonary?, CLass A (stainless) or Pre-fab air cooled?

Well if its a pre-fab, which Im pretty sure it is, you are left with less options. The first problem with prefabs is what can be put into them for woodburning inserts. Becuase of the size of them, you can typically only fit smaller inserts into them. Regency did just come out with the i1200 which is there small insert which they have designed to fit most prefab fireplaces. Its rated as a 1000 sq ft heater, but I dont know if your looking for more heat output. Secondly if its a prefab, the pipe is only rated for temperatures up to 1700 degrees. For a insert you have to be up to 2100 degrees, so you would have to line the chimney with a stainless steel liner. There are other brands out there that do make smaller inserts for prefabs. Hearthstonne makes the Morgan which is a 1200 sq ft heater. And Im sure there are others.

Status
Not open for further replies.