What are my options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Biles

Oct 29, 2013
Georgia
I recently purchased a home. There is a Superior BR36-2 fireplace in it. Through this forum and other online research, I've discovered that this fireplace is rated to be either a.) woodburning or b.) I can install vented gas logs. Neither of which I particularly want to do. I'd like to be able to use it as a heat source.

From what I understand, installing a blower with vented gas logs would be silly. What else can I do to use this box as a source of heat? After getting an electric bill for $579 this month by keeping the home heated with my electric heat pump, I've got to do something!!

Talk to your local hearth shop. Ask them if there's a Direct Vent gas burning fireplace insert that will fit into that ZC unit. If you can't find an insert to fit, another option is to tear it completely out & reinstall a DV gas burning FIREPLACE in the same location. A third option, is to install a gas burning STOVE on the hearth in front of the ZC box & vent it up thru the existing vent.

i have done a ton of direct vent installations on your type of unit.head to your local hearth shop and ask to see some of there D.V. inserts .Its the best bang for the buck in your situation.

Depends on which way you go. Insert or free-standing stove, probably a minimum of $3-4K. Tear out/replacement, double that...

Status
Not open for further replies.