What are NH residents paying for green firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AK13

Feeling the Heat
Oct 15, 2010
Seacoast, NH
I keep seeing threads from folks in NY and MA who are paying $130-160 for green firewood delivered. I haven't been able to find anyone to bring me wood for less than $200/cord, green delivered.The lowest price I can find on CL for NH is $180/cord, but it isn't close to me.

I'd be willing to buy up to 10 cords if I could find someone who would give me a bulk discount and get the cost down to $150/cord or less. If anyone has a lead in the Dover/Rochester area then please let me know.

I was going to buy a grapple load for $950, but this is a lousy year for me to take on that project because I have a ton of exterior painting that I really should be working on rather than cutting and splitting. Plus, it would be a good price if I got 9 cords or more, but it sounds like grapple loads vary and if I only got 8 cord out of it it wouldn't be a very good deal.

That's what I thought. I was planning to be paying $120 log length. I'm just surprised that other areas are seeing prices as low as $130, cut, split, bagged (!) and delivered.

And for the record I'm not saying that anyone is overcharging. I think prices are relatively cheap considering the work to fell, limb, truck and deliver firewood. Just want to make sure that I'm getting as good a deal as is out there. And I wish I could get a bulk discount with a large delivery.

That's what I thought. I was planning to be paying $120 log length. I'm just surprised that other areas are seeing prices as low as $130, cut, split, bagged (!) and delivered.

And for the record I'm not saying that anyone is overcharging. I think prices are relatively cheap considering the work to fell, limb, truck and deliver firewood. Just want to make sure that I'm getting as good a deal as is out there. And I wish I could get a bulk discount with a large delivery.
Every one around here is $210.00 to $250.00

I think we're cheaper because there's a lot of competition and a lot of guys have processors so they make up for it in quantity. Thing is these guys are screwing the smaller guys because I've had a couple complain to me about competing with those guys. Wood did go up a bit this year since everyone burned more so there's more demand. Last year I could make a call and get cords for $130, I did buy some at that price but I noticed they went up to $160 this year which is pretty much where everyone is. If you buy a minimum of 4 cords one of the guys with a processor sells it for $140.
I think the tornado and hurricane 2-3 years ago helped too because there was free wood everywhere for awhile. You can even get it a little cheaper if you want to pick it up, $50 a truck load, I've done that a couple times too when I had some free time. This year I think I'll have 6 cords dumped in my wood area and just have to spend time stacking.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like $200/cord is in fact a good price around here.

The best deal I've had since I started burning was $140/cord, cut split and stacked. But I had to go pick it up. They didn't have processor either. But it was at a tree farm and I think it was part of their forest management program.

Last edited:
$220 to 230 is the range up in Berlin area for cut split and delivered. I find it $10 less in the Conway area. There is a good market for low grade wood in the state from biomass plants and NEWP which keeps the price up.

Is that for hardwood, or softwood? I suddenly don't feel so bad for paying $98/cord for split & delivered Pine/Juniper. Lots of people here selling split for 115-150.

200-230 is average for green cut,split,delivered in southern maine. Mostly oak and maple with some beech and white birch thrown in.

$220 to 230 is the range up in Berlin area for cut split and delivered. I find it $10 less in the Conway area. There is a good market for low grade wood in the state from biomass plants and NEWP which keeps the price up.

just between Schiller Station's (Portsmouth) wood boiler and Pine Power in Tamworth... that's a million tons(!) of chips a year....

Is it possible there is something that is cheaper to buy in CT? I can find it for 170-180 all day and occasionally as low as 150

It appears that perhaps NH's biomass fuel/power industry is driving our prices higher than surrounding states.

that's only 2 of the generators.... I believe there are 7....

Status
Not open for further replies.