What are some affordable ideas for floor protection?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestVirginian

Nov 27, 2005
Hi everyone--

I'm looking for affordable options for floor protection. I'm installing a Jotul 500 into my fireplace, but it doesn't quite fit on the hearth, so I'll need some floor protection. Manual calls for something 56'x50.5'. I need something that isn't tall, because the stove flue will barely fit into the existing fireplace. Other configuration considerations are that the fireplace has about 19 inches of tiled hearth coming out, that is flush with a wood floor.

Cost is also an issue. Looking for something that won't break the bank. In terms of style, probably something simple--not fancy.

Any ideas? What do you use?

Thanks so much for any ideas. Ian

Before you do anything you be sure to consult your manual for R-value requirements! Congrats on the Jotul 500!
I am facing the same challange that you are. I am installing a Jotul Castine. I think what am going to do is purchase 1 or 2 sheets(depending on R-value requirements for the Castine) of micore and place a sheet of cement board over the micore. Then my wife and I will try to find some tile we like. We are also thinking about pouring cement.....? My goal is to spend less than $150.00 and have a hearth that meets code.
Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.