What are the different Stainless liner qualities? Are these liners on Ebay any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hfjeff

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
Waupun, WI
One of the Regency dealers I talked with had 2 different quality liners. They were both stainless, however one was more "homeowner friendly" as he put it, since most people "have a hard time handling the quality liner". Yeah, OK whatever. Basically he had a cheap liner and a better liner, and was trying to talk me out of installing it myself. Are there stainless ratings I should be looking for? Are these liners on Ebay any good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-X-20-STAINLES...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Most of the dealers in my area want $500-$600 just for the liner.

Also can I run a 5.5" liner to a Regency i2400? My damper is only 5" x 21" so this is where I may have trouble. Do they make an ovalized adapter of some sort to get through?

Lots of questions. Hoping you guys can help.

If the stove says a 6-inch is the minimum size, I wouldn't go any smaller or you'd risk drafting issues.

Additionally from what I understand if you live in an area that requires an inspection it would violate the UL listing on the stove to be hooked to a smaller liner and depending on the install it may be unsafe.

They do make ovalized liners and if you got one with the same cross sectional area of a round liner you would be fine.

You can come off the stove with a 6" round to oval and get a fullt oval 6" liner. We have done this on a few installs and have not had problems.

"My flue is only 5” x 21” "

Say what? That is the size of the opening in the damper frame. What are the dimensions of the inside of the flue tiles up the chimney?

BrotherBart said:
"My flue is only 5” x 21” "

Say what?

Sorry, the flue is 10 1/2 x 6 1/2. The damper is 5 x 21. So basically just a very short distance the liner would have to be ovalized. How do most people handle this? Ovalize the round liner for a short distance, or is there a round-to-oval-to-round adapter?

Regency is one of the few companies that have tested and certified 5.5" liners for their products.
there are 3 standards in the stainless steel material liner make up
304 ss is the low end only approved with insulation to carry Ul 1777 listing
316/316ti is the next grade up a better grade stainless steel more durable add ti to the mix and far superior to 304

you have not indicated the current clay liner condition or bricks . if missing motar or powerizing motar cracked clay liners is current, then all liners requirew Ul 1777 which means 1/2' insulation

This chimney has to meet modern NFPA 211 standards to use an unlined non UL 1777 listed liner.

The third liner is 321 much stronger thicked more durable the the others previously mentioned.

another indication of quality is the actual liner thickness .o5 or .o6 and .o7.

Usually you endup with what you pay for buy cheap and get cheap buy better quality and not wish you had not cheaped out

lost in all this is trying to justify a dollar value when playing with fire in your home

Status
Not open for further replies.