What are the Flush Face woodstove Insert Options?? Leaning towards Jotul c-350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eliter

Oct 27, 2007
Oregon, Willamette Valley
I am trying to find more flush face woodstove inserts to choose between, locally I have only found the lopi declaration and Jotul C350 and C550, the C550 won't fit into my fireplace so it is out. The Lopi is a LOT more expensive than the jotul and is plate steel rather than cast iron so I am leaning towards the Jotul. What other options are there out there for small-medium woodstove inserts??

A little about my house it is a 1917 craftsman with insulation added to the ceiling but not to most walls yet. the sixe details are below:

I have my fireplace in a room about 14'x18' with 9" ceilings contiguous to a room that is 13'x17' with a open 7' passage with built-in cabinets on both sides (open above the cabinets), so the rooms it is in are ~500 sq ft with lots of big single pane windows and hardly any insulation (only ceiling insulation). The main fireplace room is connected to two bedrooms with a 5' french door on one (12x10" bedroom) and a 32" door on the other (15'x11' bedroom). This is the main area I want to have heated by the woodstove as this is the main living area, the kitchen is contiguous to the 13x17 room with a 36" door opening, the kitchen is ~20' x 12' but the big old O-keefe merrit gas stove pilot light and thermal mass keeps the kitchen rather ok.

So I am wanting to heat approximately 800 sq feet of poorly insulated old house with tall ceilings (all rooms have ceiling fans.)

Anyway I am looking at 100-1500 sq foot heaters as the whole house is ~2400sq ft and if it is too much the cold air return for the furnace is in the same room as the fireplace and I could rig the fan to run on that if I have too much heat (doubtful)

My fireplace has an 18" D x 64" wide hearth, the opening is 30" W x 28" H, the depth is 22.5" in the deepest part (an 18.5" wide flat section at the back) and tapers inwards on the sides, it is 30" W for 5" depth and then tapers from 30" to 18.5" in 17.5" of depth. THe back tapers inwards starting at 13" H and at 27" high it is only 13" deep.

So I appreciate all input on what some options are, we don't want to flashy of trim and like the craftsman look of the Jotul but are open to other options.

Thanks in advance for all the advice!!

The Travis Units are nice Avalon, Lopi and FPX
all the same box just the faces are differnt style
THey are Large and need a wide fireplace to fit.
$2900 plus price range including a blower is a little steep but some people are willing to pay it.
Not in my market. I have on in stock for almost a year but have not sold one yet.
the few people that could afford it do not have a large enough fireplace to fit it.
do we put in a Rainer instead.

boostnut said:
How about the Jotul C450?? You mentioned the 350 and 550, does your local dealer have the 450 to offer as well? It will easily handle 800-1000 sq feet. I'm heating a 1500 sq foot ranch with mine and would recommend it to just about anyone. Good luck.

http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Wood/Wood-inserts/Jotul-C-450-Kennebec/

I like the C450 also but the boss doesn't like the looks, anyway it isn't as flush mount as the C350 and isn't a lot bigger.. I guess I already know the Jotul stoves and know I like them but I want to ensure that I do my due research and know my options...

Mike Wilson said:
eliter said:
The Lopi is a LOT more expensive than the jotul and is plate steel rather than cast iron so I am leaning towards the Jotul.

Unless I am grossly mistaken, the Jotul C350 is a plate steel stove with a cast front.

-- Mike

Roger that. The only cast iron insert fireboxes that I know of are Hearthstone Morgans and Clydesdales.

Status
Not open for further replies.