What are the pro's using to start the fire ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lighting Up

Feeling the Heat
Jan 30, 2010
Roc City NY
After being at the wood store I've been seeing these new fire starters one was a golf size ball you light... got me thinking if anyone is using them or is paper the best and easiest for the cost. I've always just used paper with no problems...

Lighting Up,
I make newspaper knots and lots of them....splits and many of those....never had a problem..woof!

Ian

a blue bic lighter
j/k sorta

supercedars- I have 27 left from the 30pk for the upcoming shoulder season.

lol DD...had a buddy one time throw in a empty pack of cigs in the camp fire...then said where did I put my bic lighter...yep... boom. Don't were gloves with that bic it's had to light.

Super Cedars. I buy them by the hundred and break them into quarters.

I make a news paper roll about 3" wide then place the paper roll behind the air intake .
Place all the black coals left from the last fire behind the paper roll and stack splits in the stove .
One match to lite the paper and heat the flue . no kindling at all . John

LLigetfa said:
Super Cedars. I buy them by the hundred and break them into quarters.

^ +1 I hate messing with newspaper.

http://www.supercedar.com/

(Send Thomas an email at the above website, mention Hearth.com, and he'll whisk you a couple of free samples to try out. He's the owner, and is a member here.)

I get the "starter logg" from Walmart, the box says 24 pcs but I cut them into 1" cubes
I get about 300 pcs per box. I use one or two starters and sometimes some crumpled news paper paper. Add some pieces of pallet wood, light it all with a propane torch, works every time.

My MIL's next door neighbor does lots of woodworking and has a small planer. He keeps my supplied with nice dry shavings that I mix with melted candle wax in an old 12" skillet. After it cools completly I set it on the stove for a minute until the 'cake' is free from the pan. Then I turn it over on the basement floor and score it with a chisel and break it into 1-2" cubes. One or two of these and a few small splits and I'm making heat in no time.
My wife goes to A LOT of garage sales and brings home lots of old candles from the 'free' box. Just make sure you pick the wicks out of the melted wax or the make the whole thing fall apart when you try to cut the cubes.

The last time I needed to light the fire from scratch a few months ago, I used 1 match, 3 sheets of newspaper, and 3 splits of kindling.

WES999 said:
I get the "starter logg" from Walmart, the box says 24 pcs but I cut them into 1" cubes
I get about 300 pcs per box. I use one or two starters and sometimes some crumpled news paper paper. Add some pieces of pallet wood, light it all with a propane torch, works every time.

Use the same "loggs" and do pretty much the same, right down to using the torch. $10 for the box, should last the whole season, no paper needed.

I used to use a chunk of C4 until the raid and the Feds didn't believe my story. They said Napalm wasn't allowed either so I started using Super Cedars after I got out of the joint.

I'm just trying to figure out how to become one of the "pros" the OP is talking about. I have visions of endless supplies of perfect firewood provided by my sponsors. At all of my public appearances, I'd be wearing the Jotul logo, as required by my multi-million $ contract. Autographing the heat-resistant gloves of my fans. Perhaps like Tiger Woods, I'd fall from grace by "enjoying the temptations around me".

Oh, sorry. Was I daydreaming there?

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

grommal said:
I'm just trying to figure out how to become one of the "pros" the OP is talking about. I have visions of endless supplies of perfect firewood provided by my sponsors. At all of my public appearances, I'd be wearing the Jotul logo, as required by my multi-million $ contract. Autographing the heat-resistant gloves of my fans. Perhaps like Tiger Woods, I'd fall from grace by "enjoying the temptations around me".

LMAO!

I'm not a pro (yet), but I'll give my secret away anyway.

I use my X-ray vision.

I'm another SuperCedar customer. I break each one into quarters and use one quarter for each start.

A box of 100 will get me through 2+ seasons of burning.

-SF

jeff_t said:
My MIL's next door neighbor does lots of woodworking and has a small planer. He keeps my supplied with nice dry shavings that I mix with melted candle wax in an old 12" skillet. After it cools completly I set it on the stove for a minute until the 'cake' is free from the pan. Then I turn it over on the basement floor and score it with a chisel and break it into 1-2" cubes. One or two of these and a few small splits and I'm making heat in no time.
My wife goes to A LOT of garage sales and brings home lots of old candles from the 'free' box. Just make sure you pick the wicks out of the melted wax or the make the whole thing fall apart when you try to cut the cubes.

I also use candle wax now. I fill a cardboard egg carton with wood powder/bark/crap from the bottom of my woodbox. Then I pour melted
candle wax into the spots where the eggs would go. Let it cool. Break off a chunk for fire starter as needed.

I don't know what the pros use, but I use Fat Wood (natural pine sticks). I don't know how well it works in comparison to Super Cedars because I never tried them, but Fat Wood works well. I heard that news print containing colors is bad to burn and newspaper is more work IMO.

I splurge and use two 1/4 pieces of SUPERCEDaR firestarter

"I have free fat llighter and buy SuperCedArs"

-Endorsement Available at Reasonable Rates, just PM me :lol:

I'm a freak. I use a match, newspaper and kindling.

ChillyGator said:
I splurge and use two 1/4 pieces of SUPERCEDER firestarter

"I have free fat llighter and buy SuperCeders"

I think Thomas would want to endose someone that can spell the name of his product correctly. If he endorsed me, I'd use 3 quarter pieces of Super Cedar fire starters.

LLigetfa said:
ChillyGator said:

I think Thomas would want to endose someone that can spell the name of his product correctly. If he endorsed me, I'd use 3 quarter pieces of Super Cedar fire starters.

i bez badd speeller but goud sealsman

ChillyGator said:

I didn't have any small splits available tonight so I used two halves of a Super Cedar and four large splits. Talk about a start-up. Wow!

I am bucking for marketing manager.

BrotherBart said:
ChillyGator said:

I didn't have any small splits available tonight so I used two halves of a Super Cedar and four large splits. Talk about a start-up. Wow!

I am bucking for marketing manager.

I did the same thing except I used one and a half Super Cedars... I got lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.