What are the Temps for 8" Black pipe coming out of the wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlatour

Nov 8, 2007
Burke, NY
I have a Superjack Made by Yukon and it is a 125,000btu wood furnace. I hooked this unit up and I have 13-3' stainless metal insulated pipe. I have less than 4' of black 8" pipe with 2-elbows that are not at 90 degrees. I have them at a slant to allow more draft? because of the hight of chimney. Well my temp on the 8" black pipe is not very hot and I can place my hand on the pipe while the wood furnace is roaring hot. This stove has a secondary heat exchange which cools down heat to the pipes. This is the link to the stove so you can see what it is? http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/SUPERJACK/tabid/59/Default.aspx I have to clean the chimney every month because of the cresote build up. I also have a damper control in the pipe? Can I remove this damper control so the pipe gets hotter. Maybe I should open the damper inside and adjust it so the door is not always closed. Need some help. Thanks Warren

Welcome to Hearth.com and the Boiler Room, wlatour.

If you keep the damper open, it's just about like not having one. I like having a damper with a conventional furnace or boiler because you can close it in the event of a chimney fire, and on cold nights, you can avoid getting a chimney fire by turning the damper down to cut the draft.

Hotter chimney temps are obviously better for controlling creosote formation, but a hot chimney is also sending a lot of your heat up the stack. So it's a trade-off. Sounds like Yukon made the choice for you with the secondary heat exchanger. I'd call them or your dealer to see what they recommend for keeping creosote under control. They obviously know a lot more about how to operate the furnace than somebody who's never used one. Or, maybe somebody else who has one will check in with some advice. Usually, building a small, hot fire once a day works pretty well. You burn off any creosote that's accumulated since the last one.

Offhand, I'd say that monthly chimney cleanings are not a bad thing. When I had my Marathon boiler with the stainless steel liner that I could clean from the basement, I did it once a week--whether it needed it or not. Usually it didn't, but occasionally, it did. I always slept easier at night knowing that no matter what, there was never going to be enough creosote growing in my chimney to cause a problem. It took about 15 minutes to do and once I figured it out, I was able to get the job done without making a mess. Actually, I'd do it after my regular Sunday afternoon XC ski outing, and then hit the showers, relax and enjoy the nice warm house. And sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.