What are the worst two pellets you used in the last year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. PENNINGTONS (BJ'S WHOLSALE CLUB)
2. GREEN TEAM (LOWES)

Just have one: Appling County.

Even though they were the worst, I'd still burn them in a pinch.
My stove burns even crappy pellets very well.

Xena said:

Xena your right about the prescott it will handle the worst of pellets.

Xena said:

And what were they?

I guess what designates a pellet to be bad is subjective.

For me, the worst pellet I burned was ACP.

My reason for this is the amount of ash produced in relation to the amount of pellets burned. Way to high for liking.

1.Warm Front from NEWP
2.Warm Front from NEWP

1. Pennington Nature's Heat
2. Energex
See my reply to the BEST poll

1 ACP
2. Mainewoods

Like Xena, My stove will burn just about anything. My worst are rated on heat output or lack of it.

Switchgrass pellets burned cleaner than the ACP and produced more heat as well! The Mainewoods produce marginal heat at best!

jay

Energex-lots of ash and low heat. Fireside Ultras-would be better off lighting a candle for heat.

stillersnut said:
.... Fireside Ultras-would be better off lighting a candle for heat.

Now that's funny! :lol:

Worst for me was some Fireside Ultras, and Freedom Fuel

Do a search for "Pennington" to see where a couple of us had ROCKS in our bags of Penningtons....... along with lots and lots and lots of fine.

1. Generic "Pellets for Wood Stoves - Product of Canada"

I bought some bags of this stuff just after I got the stove and didn't know any better. Burned with a lot of ash but I didn't realize how much ash until I happened to find some better pellets. I learned later that they were supposed to be from a mill that was going out of business. (Probably they would have been OK for a really big industrial size stove.)

1 Homewood
2 Ozark Hardwood Pellets
Homewood pellets are a softwood pellet made of pine. Lots of fines in every bag. I think they came from Canada.
Ozark pellets seems like they made a lot more ash.

well being fairly new to the game (2nd season and only burning 6 diff brands. eureka, boreal, lingnetics,fireside ultra, penningtons, and generic w p from canada) I'd have to pick
1. fireside ultra
2.pennington

I want to start a new thread referring to the good verses the bad, I have seen various responses of people the liked pellets I didn't and vice versa. Is it the type of stove or is it the feed rate/air ratio that makes a differance. I will explain more in mew thread as I don't want to change the subject here.

1. Fireside Ultra
2. Fireside Ultra

The only other pellets I've burned were Dry Creek and Lignetics and have been happy with those brands. I'm trying Pres-to-Logs and Greene Team this season. So far The Pres-to-Log have been good (burned a bag over a week of cool nights). It gave good heat and low ash (no clinkers in pan). I should be able to get a better gauge when the heating season starts (Late October/Early November)

Lakewood premium and the same again. They come from a mill in northern Ontario, white bag with an eagle on them.
Little heat, lots of cleaning and broken bags in both skids I had. Tried a few other brands later in the year and never knew how bad they were till I switched.

Penningtons - Sticks, rocks, lots of fines and serious puff balls from water damage. Did get a refund from the manufacturer though!

Status
Not open for further replies.