What are the worst two pellets you used in the last year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not burnt a bad pellet since 2005. In the past I have burnt mostly Somersets and White Lightning(Both are great pellets). In 2005, my first full year of burning I bought a ton from Lowes thinking all pellets the same. Boy was that a mistake. Pellets smelled like cat pee and had a weird orange glow when burning. Returned them which was a pain but since then I buy a few bags first to try out.

I have purchased some bags in the past that gave a little more ash but nothing significant to complain about. Being on this site I can really narrow down my choices now and in the future.

Considering i have only used 2 different brands,
Heat Resource was the worst.
Penningtons were much better and this year i'll use Tiddy Timbers but its too soon to tell about the quality of the burn...they appear to be good quality with little dust and they do not smell like cat piss.

Appling County Pellets (ACP) where by far the worst.

1.Bayou
2. Maine

NEWP
Natures Heat

NEWP I had from the previous year. Lots of ash and low heat using Enlgander. I have concluded my stove needs a good quality pellet given the fact that I live in the colder part of the north east and try and heat most of my house with the stove.

LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. I STARTED BURNING THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY BURN GREAT AND THE I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF ASH FROM ANY OTHER PELLET. I BOUGHT THE PELLETS FOR $220/TON AND THEY WERE A LOT CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER PELLET. tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GET A GOOD PELLET STOVE THAT WILL BURN ANYTHING AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH THE YEARLY PELLET BUY. i THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SCIENCE OF ALL OF THE PELLET STOVE VARIABLES. YOU HAVE A STOVE, BUY THE PELLETS, FEED THE STOVE, GET HEAT AND ASH AND SMOKE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I HAVE READ SO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT ACP PELLETS BUT I SAID THAT THEY ARE CHEAPER AND STILL A WOOD PELLET SO I THINK IT IS WORTH IT TO GIVE THEM A SHOT. SO I DID AND THEY ARE A PELLET JUST LIKE ALL OF THE REST. I ALSO BOUGHT PENNINGTON PELLETS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE SAID THEY WERE SOOOO BAD BUT I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD. I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. GOOD LUCK

please302 said:
LOOK I HAVE A HARMAN P-68 AND i JUST BOUGHT 4 TONS OF ACP PELLETS. I STARTED BURNING THEM A FEW DAYS AGO AND THEY BURN GREAT AND THE I CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE AMOUNT OF ASH FROM ANY OTHER PELLET. I BOUGHT THE PELLETS FOR $220/TON AND THEY WERE A LOT CHEAPER THEN ANY OTHER PELLET. tHE MORAL OF THE STORY IS TO GET A GOOD PELLET STOVE THAT WILL BURN ANYTHING AND REAP THE REWARDS WITH THE YEARLY PELLET BUY. i THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO MAKE A SCIENCE OF ALL OF THE PELLET STOVE VARIABLES. YOU HAVE A STOVE, BUY THE PELLETS, FEED THE STOVE, GET HEAT AND ASH AND SMOKE AND LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. I HAVE READ SO MANY NEGATIVE THINGS ABOUT ACP PELLETS BUT I SAID THAT THEY ARE CHEAPER AND STILL A WOOD PELLET SO I THINK IT IS WORTH IT TO GIVE THEM A SHOT. SO I DID AND THEY ARE A PELLET JUST LIKE ALL OF THE REST. I ALSO BOUGHT PENNINGTON PELLETS LAST YEAR AND EVERYONE SAID THEY WERE SOOOO BAD BUT I THOUGHT THAT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD. I BELIEVE MANY PEOPLE JUST WANT SOMETHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. GOOD LUCK

It seems by your "Screaming" (capital letters) your point across that you do not want to hear anybodys viewpoint, except your own. Your trying to say, you by all your pellets cheap, you own the best stove, they all burn great in "your" stove and everybody else here is either a liar or an idiot complaining.
That being the case, you should try talking to yourself in a mirror and get an idea what it's like trying to have a conversation with a person like you. Pretty one-sided, isn't it.

please302 said:
I'm on my third time reading this same post by you,isn't once enough?

mnkywrnch said:
please302 said:
I'm on my third time reading this same post by you,isn't once enough?

I think he posted this in every pellet thread. He has 28 post and I'll bet there all this same post.

No mater how hard he tries, I am not believing that ACP pellets are good at all. Still a waste of money! I wouldn't burn them if they gave them to me! JUNK!

jay

please302 said:

Your post has as much reason and logic to it as your use of all caps.

ACP pellets are crap- lots of ash and less heat than comparable priced pellets, that is simple fact. Most people with modern stoves can burn just about anything- my multi-fuel will burn cherry pits or corn but that does not mean I am going to get the same amount of heat, less clinkers and less ash by burning it. A 50lbs bag of corn puts out less total BTU than a 40lbs bag of pellets with about 50 times the ash- it is not worth burning unless that is my only option.

ACP puts out a lot of ash and has significantly less BTUs than pellets priced in the same range. My shoulder season ECO-Flames for example put out about 800-1k more BTUs and cost a whopping $15 dollars more per ton oh and the ash level is about 1/2 of the ACPs. Moral of the story is to get the most BTUs and least ash for the cheapest price. as others have said and I agree: I would not burn them unless someone gave them to me as they are crap and not worth the extra cleanings.

-M

Axis said:
seems 2 me that outdoor air temp,humidity, & wind direction would affect the burn especially when an OAK is involved.

Air temp and humidity really don't factor in because the fire instantly heats the air to maybe 600 degrees? Kills the humidity, too. And you'd have to have a helluva lot of wind going up a 1 1/2" pipe to affect the operation of a stove.

My OAK is part of the vent pipe... talkes in the air from around the vent... never noticed any change in operation.

1) PA Pellets-- low heat, lots of ash
2) Fireside Ultras

Thought I'd waddle in on this. Won't comment on the screamer, because I don't read 'em. Second I didn't exactly use these, but I had the unfortunate experience of cleaning 80 lbs of crud from a stove and dumping another thirty bags into the horse stalls. White Flame, shouldn't use the name pellet on the bags. Did this for a friend who's family was freezing in a small town. Took them 1/2 ton of good stuff and spent a day cleaning. I did find about a pound of pellets, but the rest was worse than beetle frass. On my way home I stopped by their plant. No one spoke English or knew what was what. Seemed they were using a feed pellet mill, a wood chipper and stacks of off cuts from the builders. Does that give the story?????

BTU said:
Does that give the story?????

Actually NO...without the name of the pellet/mill I have no idea who you are talking about......
Guess my stream hid the name. Maybe full caps will help. WHITE FLAME. Sorry to offend some of you. If you don't hear it often, you may have missed it.

BTW, sorry I twisted your knickers.

I bought 3 bags of appling county pellets yesterday and on my second bag in stove and they seem to be burning pretty good Harman P68 bought 3 ton of maeder brothers this summer and I have not been happy nor have my two other buddies who bought them also lots of ash and real coarse ash and seem real dusty use to burn empires but had a bad year with those so wanted to try something else so far the applings are working good for me

Oh that's easy: 1) Maeder Brothers Quality Wood Pellets Premium made from hardwood sawdust
2) Maeder Brothers Quality Wood Pellets Premium made from hardwood sawdust

but think they put wrong label on them cause smells and looks like rabbit pellet food; its even kinda greenish in color.

:ahhh:

Pennington Nature’s Heat only one's i tryed still burn off the ten ton of counrtys pride

Status
Not open for further replies.