What are these?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
I've been seeing a lot of the white grubs but this is the first time for the bugs, beetles. Can anyone ID these?

Attachments

• P1040385a.jpg
    P1040385a.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 778
Waiting for Bear Grylls to pop in and call them a snack. :sick:

:lol: Yeah your right!! Did you see the one where he ate that huge grub that exploded!!! I think i would starve to death.

I've been seeing a lot of the white grubs in other wood as well. All this wood is oak. There not down in there deep like they were in the pine i split a few month ago. In some of the pine they were almost all the way to the center of a 18" round.

This is the first time i have seen the beetle. Is this what the grub turns into? Or were they just hangin in the same tree?

DAKSY said:
Chief Ryan said:
I've been seeing a lot of the white grubs but this is the first time for the bugs, beetles. Can anyone ID these?

From the left...
Bait
More Bait
Rebate? :)
From the left:
Progeny
Breeding stock
Venture capital

They might be elm leaf beetles, they're olive green to black in color. We actually have them all the way out in NW Montana. I'm a bit west of Glacier National Park and had these guys getting into my green houses this past spring and summer. I hadn't noticed them in previous years. They can do a number on trees.

elmleafbeetle.jpg

Thats a Black Turpintine Beetle and Larve next to it. They are nasty wood munchers LOL. Also good for Fishing !

Would depend on how deep they are in the wood. Usaually there just inside and under the bark region.So i doubt it if the wood has been bucked. Gets a liitle cold in NY. HA

I'm on a scientific research mission. Send all the wood you have with specimens in tact. I'm trying to see if the infestation will evolve into a fire resistant strain. Haven't seen much development yet but the research is time consuming and I would appreciate all the help others want to send my way. Thanks in advance guys....

DAKSY said:
Chief Ryan said:

From the left...
Bait
More Bait
Rebate? :)

Now that was friggin funny :)

I was splitting some Honey Locust for the garage stove today and I found one of these worms about an inch below the bark. I've seen them before too, but not often. I also awakened a lot of black ants from a peaceful slumber.
It was such a nice day today, I should've thrown the worm on a hook and walked up to the pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.