What are you burning......It’s not a trap....really...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GVA

Minister of Fire
Just a quick post to find out what you burn and ...........how much per year.......
I'm reliying on past experience since this year sucks so far.........

Our house now / 1800 sf ,

Stove: EPA wood stove- Pacific Energy Summit / 100% wood heat

Wood: Oak, Elm, Hedge, Walnut, Hackberry, Maulberry, (some: maple,)

Wood used: 3.75 , 4 , little over 2 this year

Rented farm house when we moved to this state ( 2 years ) 2300 sf + 1200sf basement,

Stove: 1932 basement wood furnace / 100% wood heat (bad insulation in house)

Wood: Oak (white/red)

Wood used: 7 , 9 cords

House before we moved to this state 1450 sf ,

Stove: Pre-EPA Wood stove / 70% wood heat

Wood: Oak, Elm, (some hedge)

Wood used: Averaged 4 cords a year for 10 years

Theres around 15 years info for ya , where is your information GVA ?

House 1300sf
Epa Quad 4300 step top 75% wood heat wood stove in the basement
Wood 98% red and white oak the rest Hickory,Cherry,Ash
Wood used 2+ cords so far

i burn about 4 cords a year of primarily white oak,locust,ash and walnut.
wood heat provides around 75% of the heat for my home.

3200 sq/ft 3 zone house, main zone (1700sq/ft) heated by the stove. I burn a total of 3 cord per year, mostly locust, oak and cherry, 3/4 per month in Dec/Jan/Feb (I'm usually away from home 1 week per month, so no burning then), the rest split up between the end of November and the beginning of March. Otherwise heat is provided by an oil fired boiler with hot water circulation zones to three separate air handlers. Pre-stove I burned 500 gallons of oil per month, now its 250.

-- Mike

I'm burning cherry, maple, oak, poplar and a little locust. I've burned roughly a cord so far with the mild weather.
Main house is just under 1600 sf with 850 sf addition off the back(lower level). Stove easily heats the main portion of the house, and I get good heat in the addition with a box fan on the floor blowing into the stove room.
Before I started using the stove it took 500+ gallons of oil to heat the place...plus electric baseboard in the addition. Last year I used 180 gallons of oil and electric bill was down as well.
More info than you asked for but what the hell...I don't post much.

Sorry about that I wanted to get some rest.
About 1800 Sq Ft
Pellet heat
Average 4-5 tons a year
burned 1 1/4 ton so far this season, most was in september when it was cold...... :lol:
House is at a toasty 78*

Before this it was NG FHA house temps were 60-70*
at an average of 250-300 therms per month. :red:

Just installed at X-mas so no full year results yet.
Was burning the Feugo Flame before the Summit.
Fuego Flame not steadily about 1 cord in a month of 8-10 hr burning days sporadically.
Since Summit insert (plain jane black) install on xmas....2 medium splits and still going at 600* :) Thats 2 plutonium splits from the local nuke plant :)

I dunno usage honestly, didn't keep track. Guessing about 1/2 -3/4 cord. Merely guessing. 24/7 except 1 day.

There's a lack of participation here, from the forum......

Well does any one know the BTU content of certain woods, let's just for the heck of it say oak..... Red, white don't matter just potential BTU per pound?
How long would one pound of that burn?
How many pounds in a cord?
just trying to crunch some numbers here.....

We heat about 2400 square foot 150+ year old home, 95% wood, 5% Anthracite Coal
Burned Locust, Walnut, Maple, Hedge, Hickory, Ash and some Cherry
Last year we burned about 4 to 5 cords
We used 35% Propane since Nov 14th 2005 (500 Gallon Tank)
W/O Wood it would be about a tank every 2 to 2 1/2 months
This year I have burned about 2 cords, Furnace hasn't ran once
House down averages 76 up about 74 to 75

4+ tons of pennsylvania high vol bituminous; it varies from season to season, depending on the outside temp and how much time i spend out of town (use the gas furnace when i'm away). total cost including transportation around $ 300.00/season. vs. $400-$600/month for gas heat.

Before this year I had a prefab with doors and blowers, and burned 5-6 cords/year along with quite a bit of natural gas. Now that I have an EPA stove the furnace is off. I've burned less than a cord so far this year, but then I haven't even had a fire for several days because of the weird warm weather. 2000 sq ft home, insulated but not terribly well. I keep the stove room from 72-76, upstairs from 68-72; I can't take much warmer that that. Burning red/white oak, hickory, mulberry, cherry, red/silver maple, walnut, ash, pear, elm, honey locust.

That was all in MD, in MI I probably burn 1/3-1/2 cord in a prefab over the two winter weeks we are there, sugar maple, beech, yellow birch, hemlock.

2000 sq. ft. Burning mostly soft maple :)-S not my fave, but free wood). We've gone through most of the cherry and madrona I had stashed for cold weather. So far we've burned up about 1.5 cords.

About 1400 sq. feet.

Have only burnt 2 pellets thus far, but they were manufactured from Hogwildz's plutonium splits :)

First year with the stove, and have gone thru 1.75 tons.

The house is two floors and around 2400 sq. ft. and the basement office and inventory storage is a 1,000. The house is bigger than the foundation, don't ask. We burn five cords of oak a year as regular as clockwork late September through late April or early May because we don't have other heating. One stove on the first floor and one in the office downstairs. In a real cold year seven cords. Six of red and white oak and one of pine. Another cord and a half or two of pine are burned in the F100 in the warehouse supplimented with a kero blaster.

Ran out last year. In April I burned an inventory of oak pedestal table bases and table legs left over from an inventory purchase the year before. Really nice stuff. I had always said that around March wood burners start eyeing the furniture. Last year I burned some finally. Tax deductable because it burned in the office stove.

BeGreen said:
2000 sq. ft. Burning mostly soft maple :)-S not my fave, but free wood). We've gone through most of the cherry and madrona I had stashed for cold weather. So far we've burned up about 1.5 cords.

BEGREEN, I am just curious, you mentioned your Maple is free, so do you buy your Madrona and Cherry??. I was lucky enough to score some free Cherry ( maybe 1/4 cord or so) would kill for some free Madrona, hook a brotha up

GVA said:
BrotherBart said:
Tax deductable because it burned in the office stove.
HeHeHe.....That there is funny............ :)

My neighbor works out of their house. Her office is downstairs in the family room where the wood stove is. They don't cut any wood anymore. They buy it all and deduct it because it heats her office. So what if the heat goes upstairs after it leaves the office and just happens to heat the rest of the house.

Elderthewelder said:
BeGreen said:

BEGREEN, I am just curious, you mentioned your Maple is free, so do you buy your Madrona and Cherry??. I was lucky enough to score some free Cherry ( maybe 1/4 cord or so) would kill for some free Madrona, hook a brotha up

No, all from our property or the neighbor's. They have enough maple to burn for several years. I am scrounging right now for future burns. Have my eye on the best hardwoods including a fallen locust that needs cutting up.

Mesquite for now... will be looking for some oak soon.

For the person asking about BTUs/pound etc.: Some time ago (a year+) I was curious about such things and did a google on something like "wood stove burn BTU" and found a few great pages with lots of info like that. I am not on my home computer so can't tell you which one was best or what they were. I know one was from Mother Earth News. Lots of tables with BTUs per ton or something like that, anyway, do a little googling and you will find it I am sure. I am not at home right now so not burning anything. Wondering what cherry laurel burns like, my sister has offered us the wood and we will take some home with us. Mostly we have burned mulberry, willow, and box elder this winter, with some apple, white birch, and maple thrown in. We take whatever is free, hence the odd mix. Next year's wood is better stuff, more mulberry and maple with black locust and elm thrown in.

I use what's on my property and the neighbors. Usually oak, maple, poplar(funky yellow color), and cherry if I can find it. Mostly it's just the blow downs, and I do try to harvest some as wife is a forest major and a big help on this. Usually dry for good 1 year before burning it. Mostly hard wood here in PA.

Bondo©

Some Like It Hot said:
For the person asking about BTUs/pound etc.: Some time ago (a year+) I was curious about such things and did a google on something like "wood stove burn BTU" and found a few great pages with lots of info like that. I am not on my home computer so can't tell you which one was best or what they were. I know one was from Mother Earth News. Lots of tables with BTUs per ton or something like that, anyway, do a little googling and you will find it I am sure. I am not at home right now so not burning anything. Wondering what cherry laurel burns like, my sister has offered us the wood and we will take some home with us. Mostly we have burned mulberry, willow, and box elder this winter, with some apple, white birch, and maple thrown in. We take whatever is free, hence the odd mix. Next year's wood is better stuff, more mulberry and maple with black locust and elm thrown in.
Thanks found a couple of sites heres one.
http://id.essortment.com/firewoodbtucor_rech.htm
the comparison between hardwood and softwood BTU's is this accurate? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.