What are your favorite recipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63377/

Got the idea from Gary, though I was thinking something similar, which is why I was trolling the sugestion box.

I like Norwegian pancakes. They are similar to crepes.

Melt a stick of unsalted butter on low heat. (very low heat)

Break a few eggs into a bowl. Add equal volume of flower, and mix completely.

Add melted butter, and mix again. Add some sugar to taste. (1/4 cup or so)

zest of a lemon and or 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Dilute with milk. For richer pancakes use evaperated milk.

Mixture should be thin enough to cover entire crepe pan, when poured in center and the pan quickly tilted about.

Pan should be smoking hot. Use pan that butter was melted in. No further lubing required.

I use a dipper and pour in about a third of a cup. When top of cake is dry, flip. Second side doen't take long.

Serve with cranberry sauce (lingonberry if you can get it), apple sauce, or any kind of jam, jelly or fruit preserve, by spreading condiment on surface, then rolling.

I usualy make these pancakes for Christmas breakfast.

I'd say the simple things. Chicken that tastes like chicken. A tomato that tastes like a tomato. But then there are the special things like canned preserves and wild game. Peaches that turn to mush an hour after being picked, but taste like a peach from the Garden of Eden.

Thin crust pizza made with syrian bread, tomato paste, asiago cheese. This pared with an atomic red zinfandel is one of my favorite foods.

Rice, season with a generous amount of dried basil,parsley leaf,garlic powder & onion powder. I buy all organic ingrediants. I use half long grain brown rice & half arborio. Throw the whole mess in the Zojirushi rice cooker(do not add seasonings after cooking) & it turns out great every time, Randy

This time of the year is comfort food. French-Canadian pork pie(tourtie), Pea soup, turkey or chicken soup made with fresh stock from a bird carcass. Anything on the weber grill roasted, mostly herb marinated pork loin sandwiches, and Tipsy Chicken from the Weber cookbook (ran out of bourbon though). I've been using more root vegetables and squash and lost a few pounds while enjoying it. Wife makes a killer squash soup too. Damn, now I'm hungry. I made a vegetable rack for squash, potatoes, onions and apple in the basement where it is cool. Oh yeah, sliced potatoes, onions and butter with pepper and salt wrapped in foil and grilled is fine also. Simple but fine. Can be put in the stove in the coals off to the side. Double wrap it though.

Gary_602z said:
Stews,Soup and Chili this time of year! Always love my veggies also!

Gary

Recipes?

Dune said:
Gary_602z said:
Stews,Soup and Chili this time of year! Always love my veggies also!

Gary

Recipes?

Pulled Pork

Ingredients

* 1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
* 1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian sea salt (or regular sea salt if not available)
* 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring

Directions

1. Pierce pork all over with a knive or carving fork. Rub salt then liquid smoke over meat. Place roast in a slow cooker.
2. Cover, and cook on Low for 16 to 20 hours, turning once during cooking time.
3. Reserve drippings and cool(fridge or freezer) to let fat congeal on top.
4. Remove meat from slow cooker, and shred removing bone and fat.
5. Discard congealed grease and add drippings as desired if moister meat is desired.
6. Serve on desired rolls or buns.
This may be cooked on a higher heat for 5-6 hours or until it is falling of the bone. Use a brush or or sandwich bags on hands to spread liquid smoke.

Gary

Clapshot

* 1 1/3 pounds potato, peeled and quartered
* 2/3 pound turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
* 1 pound parsnips peeled and chunked
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 cup milk
* 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* salt and ground black pepper to taste

Boil veggies until tender, drain and mash, add bacon and other ingredients.

You know what to do next!! Great alone or with a roast, if I make this with a roast I omit the Bacon, carrots maybe added to this also!

Gary

Nice.

New England Clam Chowder,

Cape Cod version; Shuck some quahogs, save juice. Both tasks very easy if quahogs frozen first. Very important, quahog pronouned ko hog.

Saute diced salt pork (prefered) or bacon (1/4#)

Cut oinion fine and cook in fat till translucent.

Add chopped quohog, clam juice, diced potato, salt and pepper, simmer till potato soft. Serve with milk, cream or condensed milk and crackers. Carrots do not go well with this, too sweet, but a little celery could be good.

New England Boiled Dinner Corned Beef, or Smoked Shoulder (or even ham, some kind of sodium nitrate cured meat)

Boil meat most of day (simmer). Cook with onions and carrots and potatos. (lots)

Slice up and boil a turnip. Preferably yellow (don't tell anyone from Eastham).

After scooping everything out of the big pot, cook 1/2 a cabbage in the same water.

Serve with good spicey mustard and butter for the turnip and cabbage.

Dune said:
New England Boiled Dinner Corned Beef, or Smoked Shoulder (or even ham, some kind of sodium nitrate cured meat)

Boil meat most of day (simmer). Cook with onions and carrots and potatos. (lots)

Slice up and boil a turnip. Preferably yellow (don't tell anyone from Eastham).

After scooping everything out of the big pot, cook 1/2 a cabbage in the same water.

Serve with good spicey mustard and butter for the turnip and cabbage.

Dang I can smell it already! That's one thing about cooking with cabbage I always get to smell it twice! :cheese:

Gary

Let's Bake!

Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another cup just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.

Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.

Cherry Mistmas !

Gary_602z said:
Let's Bake!

Jose Cuervo Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup of brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another cup just in case.

Turn off the mixerer thingy.

Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.

Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry it loose with a drewscriver.

Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Who geeves a sheet. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.

Add one table.

Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find.

Greash the oven.

Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over.

Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.

Cherry Mistmas !

+1, a classic

Curried pork or any meat

In large skillet, cook curry power (to taste) in olive oil. I use about a third of a small spice jar, but some curries ave potent.
Once curry powder is browned , saute onions, chopped.
Add diced potato, water, other spices if desired, simmer
Add diced meat, cook till potatos are done.

Serve over white rice with pickled beets as a side. Other cold vegatbles can substitute if you don't like beets.

Potatoes make this a new england (bland) version. Curry will taste much hotter cooked without potatoes

I am ashamed that although I consider myself a chef I have never used curry. Love anything spicy or hot though. I don't get out much because I have to cook all the time! :) Love beets!

Gary

Keep everything coming, I am always willing to try anything new!

This is a good recipe for all of that butternut squash from the fall which is quietly rotting away in a box in your basement. Its basically a squash and onion dish baked in a dough. Yield: Serves 6.

Butternut and Caramelized Onion Galette

For the pastry:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into pieces
1/4 cup sour cream (I used yogurt)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup ice water

For the filling:
1 small butternut squash (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons of butter (if you only have non-stick pans, the smaller amount will do)
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced in half-moons
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
3/4 cup fontina cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces, grated or cut into small bits)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves

1. Make pastry: In a bowl, combine the flour and salt. Place the butter in another bowl. Place both bowls in the freezer for 1 hour. remove the bowls from the freezer and make a well in the center of the flour. Add the butter to the well and, using a pastry blender, cut it until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Make another well in the center. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream (or yogurt), lemon juice, and water and add half of this mixture to the well. With a fork, mix in the liquid until large lumps form. Repeat with the remaining liquid and flour-butter mixture. Pat the lumps into a ball: do not overwork the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

2. Prepare squash: Preheat oven to 375 deg f. Peel squash, then halve and scoop out seeds. Cut into 1/2" pieces. Toss pieces with olive oil and a half-teaspoon of the salt and roast on foil lined (for neatness sake) sheet for 30 minutes or until pieces are tender, turning it midway if your oven heats unevenly. Set aside to cool slightly.

3. Caramelize onions: While squash is roasting, melt butter in a heavy skillet and cook onion over low heat with the remaining half-teaspoon of salt and pinch of sugar, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir in cayenne.

4. Raise the oven temperature to 400 deg f. Mix squash, caramelized onions, cheese, and herbs together in a bowl.

5. Assemble galette: On a floured work surface, roll the dough out into a 12" round. transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Spread squash, onions, cheese, and herb mixture over the dough, leaving a 1 1/2" border. Fold the border over the squash, onion, and cheese mixture, pleating the edge to make it fit. The center will be open.

6. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let stand for 5 minutes, then slide the galette onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

You can also turn this into a savory dessert by using apples instead of squash, and omitting the cayenne and instead seasoning with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and adding ground hazelnuts or almonds.

I made it last week, and it was pretty good though I misread the ingredients and put double the amount of squash in it. My friends made the dessert option with the apples. That was really good too, especially if you don't like sweet desserts.

Homebrewz,

I made the galette today. I used pre-made pie crust and cooked the squash in a skillet on low ahead of the onions. Just a short cut. I used cheddar cheese as I could not find boursin in the store. This is a great receipe, ate 3 pieces with marinated pork loin. This is a keeper! Will put a full cup of cheddar next time.

I often make a butternut and apple crumble with a little honey in the crumble topping.

Butternut squashes are closely related to melons with their sweet honey flavour, and the honey in the topping brings something special to the natural sweet taste of a butternut squash.

My way is to make my usual crumble topping, with a few extra walnuts and a little honey. Part cook some squash and mix with chopped apples before adding the topping.

Easy peasy and very tasty.

There are never many spare squashes in our store by January, this is one of our family staple desserts through November and December ;-)

Hot meat sauce for hotdogs or anything else

4 Lbs ground beef
1 Cup ground raw onion
2 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp ground dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
5 tbsp salt
2 oz chili powder
3 quarts tomato sauce
Fry ground beef and ground onions slowly, mashing constantly
Add remaining ingredients and simmer about 3 hours.

One of my favorites Is New England Indian Pudding! (not liked by many, but its great! Espically if you like molasses) SOoo good!

INDIAN PUDDING

1 quart milk (4 cups)
3 Tbsp. yellow cornmeal
3 Tbsp. minute tapioca
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs beaten
1 Tbsp. butter

Scald milk in a large pot.
Mix remaining ingredients in another bowl.
Pour and stir some scalded milk into the egg mixture - just enough to warm it.
When the egg mixture is warm, add & stir it into the large pot of scalded milk
Cook in a double boiler until thick. (or a reg. pot & stir with a spatula CONSTANTLY)
Pour into buttered baking dish - do not cover.
Set in a pan of water about 1 in. deep.
Bake 1 1/2 hrs at 350.
Serve warm with van. ice cream

I just got back from Germany and ate a lot suerkraut and pork with mushroom gravy. Great stuff. So last night I made this:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,178,145172-227199,00.html

Kick ass. The kids loved it too. I used thin sliced pork tenderloin (not chops) and new potoatoes. Russets are a bad idea since they take too long to cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.