What are your favorite recipes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a great chili recipe. I can't wait to try it.

A comment in another thread reminded me of this, not really a recipe, yet my alltime favorite; Fried oyster poorboy, as served (at one time) by The Impudent Oyster of Chatham Mass.

French roll, split, garlic butter, lightly toasted. Tarter sauce, deep fried fresh oysters, topped with fresh thin sliced roast beef! Unbeleivable!

If you ever get to Cape Cod, the Impudent Oyster is still one of the best restaurants, and of course, get in touch with me.

My favorite recipe is wood fired pizza!

The dough recipe from " THE ART OF WOOD FIRED COOKING" by Andrea Mugnainni

3 HOUR PIZZA DOUGH

1 1/2 cups warm water divided 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
4 cups 00 flour 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil

Place 1/4 cup of the warm water in a bowl and sprinkle with the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place flour , salt, yeast mixture and the remaining warm water in a bowl fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low speed for 2 minutes or until dough takes on a shaggy appearance. Add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time if dough is wet. Drizzle with the oil and mix for 2 minutes. Dough will form a smooth ball. Turn off mixer and cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 20 minutes. Resume mixing on medium speed for 3 minutes. Place dough in a slightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size. For about 2 1/2 hours. Divide dough into 4 10 oz. balls and let rest for a few minutes before pressing into pizza.
Top with San Marzan Tomatoes fresh mozzarella and your favorite toppings. We like hot sausage,sweet peppers and mushrooms. When pie comes out of oven top with fresh basil.

Attachments

• L1020992.jpg
    L1020992.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 240
If brick oven cooking is your thing, check out traditionaloven.com. Great website if you want to make an outdoor oven.

Adios Pantalones said:
BTW- making chile is an all day affair for me.

Fork yeah! Great recipe. Found me a corn stick pan at the Salvation Army for $2.50 and got working on some black bean chili as soon as I got home.

Adios Pantalones said:
Chop up the habaneros well (WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!!)

I worked for a burrito shop in high school. Somehow got stuck with the job of chopping serranos every morning. Peppers and mucous membranes don't mix.

KarlK said:
My favorite recipe is wood fired pizza!

The dough recipe from " THE ART OF WOOD FIRED COOKING" by Andrea Mugnainni

3 HOUR PIZZA DOUGH

1 1/2 cups warm water divided 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
4 cups 00 flour 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon olive oil

Place 1/4 cup of the warm water in a bowl and sprinkle with the yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes. Place flour , salt, yeast mixture and the remaining warm water in a bowl fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low speed for 2 minutes or until dough takes on a shaggy appearance. Add more flour 1 tablespoon at a time if dough is wet. Drizzle with the oil and mix for 2 minutes. Dough will form a smooth ball. Turn off mixer and cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 20 minutes. Resume mixing on medium speed for 3 minutes. Place dough in a slightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size. For about 2 1/2 hours. Divide dough into 4 10 oz. balls and let rest for a few minutes before pressing into pizza.
Top with San Marzan Tomatoes fresh mozzarella and your favorite toppings. We like hot sausage,sweet peppers and mushrooms. When pie comes out of oven top with fresh basil.

Mmmmmmmmmm Just the picture made me hungry. I bet it smells amazing to.

I make a batch of these every so often so that there are always some in the freezer to use with store bought sauce ( which I usually doctor a bit - always add a bit of fennels seed, maybe some extra basil)

Really Good meatballs (my aunt's recipe)

3 lbs hamburg - i don't go too lean no more than % 85.
1 1/2 c Italian seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 c grated Parmesan - can use the cheaper pre-grated stuff or get fancy
2 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/3 c milk
1/3 c water
2 tsp basil
1-2 clove garlic minced

mush it all together, make balls and place on cookie sheet lightly greased w/ olive oil, a little olive oil on the tops too (I like to dab them with a paper towel dipped in the oil)
Brown in oven at 350C don't know exactly how long since I check the for browning and turn them once to get the other side, maybe 1/2 hr altogether but it depend on how big you make them....
It makes alot - I let whatever we're not using right away cool then pack them in ziplocks for individual meals, 6 per bag for us, but if the bag is frozen lying flat they shouldn't stick together anyway.
They are best simmered in the sauce for at least half an hour.
Any leftover after spaghetti dinner makes a great sandwich on crusty bread w/ melted provolone on top.

Edit -Yikes, put lbs for the breadcrumbs by accident, fixed it - man that would have been some dry meatballs!!

Can't wait to try the meatballs. Thanks.

For all you meat eaters, my venison recipe:
In a crock pot set on high for aprox. 8 hours:
Venison roast
enough water to cover the roast
3 med onions - quartered
2 carrots - diced
3/4 potatoes - quartered
4/5 cloves garlic - minced
2 shallots - quartered
1 cup barley
1/2 cup red wine
sea salt, pepper, bay leaf, cumin and whatever other spices you like

For those who like salmon: Salmon cakes
1or2 lbs fresh or frozen salmon filets - diced (depends on how many yas are feeding)
(I use frozen filets-easier to cut - just cook a bit longer)
1/2 cup mayo
onion - diced & sauteed
shake or two of: sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, marjoram
2 cups bread crumbs -enough to coat
Olive oil in fry pan then drop by spoonfuls into hot oil. Flip when nicely browned. (I also use canned tuna instead of salmon at times).

Here's one... Pork and beans

1 Pkg pinto beans. Cover with and inch of water and bring to a boil and remove from heat. Soak one hour. Put back on stove, add cut up onion, brown sugar if you like them sweet. I add Tony Cachere's creole seasoning as needed for a little zip(not much for me). Cut up a small smoked shoulder (Leidy's) into strips or pull it apart and add. Sprinkle in dry mustard as needed. Salt and pepper to taste. I have a pot on the wood stove now. Needs about an hour to cook to make beans tender. The smells is fantastic. I'm going to scrounge up some bread to go with it. Add or don't add whatever works for you. Simple receipe.

First time cooking on top of this stove. Nice slow boiling going on. The old VC Aspen had the cooktop, I do miss that feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.