What are your thoughts on this stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregorio

Apr 11, 2008
Northern Illinois
I have been lurking around here for a while and I am considering buying a wood stove.
What are your thoughts on this stove for sale on ebay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jotul-Cast-Iron...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is described that the ornamental interior backing is cracked. Could this be some kind of significant heat shield or firebrick that could effect the stove's operation or be a safety concern?

The description says it is side loading and front loading. The picture shows top loading. I know that Jotul doesn't make the firelight top loading anymore. Was this a bad set up? Does anybody know why Jotul doesn't make there stoves top loading anymore?

Also, does this stove appear to have an enamel finish? It looks to have a brown shiny finish on parts, but other parts look rusty. Do you think this stove will clean up nice, and how would I go about that?

Who would I call to install a used stove? About how much money should I expect to pay for the pipes, chimney, hearth pad, installation and anything else I am forgetting?

I have an 1800 square foot 2 story home. The room I hope to put a wood stove in is large with a vaulted ceiling. It opens up to the 2nd floor and I think it would heat the whole house nicely. Is this too much stove for me? Part of me is thinking that I should by a brand new stove and have it professionally installed. Another part of me is thinking of buying a used stove to save on $ while figuring out if wood heating is for me. After reading on hearth.com -- it really does seem like a lifestyle. Does this stove look good for a new wood burner, or would new be the way to go?

I will be asking the seller of the stove questions, but I wanted to run it by the experts here first. Thanks

be fine,,,, buy it, top notch stove, call stove dealer to instal or do yourself or try and find someone on here to help may save u some $. not sure about crack but someone on here will. all jotuls have all replacable parts so if u get it cheep u could easily fix it. instal price id think around $2000 but im no expert and prices vary around the country. stove would heat house great can never be to big just have smaller fire.

Looks like an original firelight f600, complete with foot pedal for the top loader. Something is odd about the finish though with the combination of enameled an black cast iron parts.

Yes, the stove can be cleaned up, wirebrushed, and the unenameled castiron parts can be painted to look like new. If the bones of the stove are in good shape, then it might be worth picking up. But the question is: are you willing to spend the time to learn about the stove and possibly rebuild it (not that big a deal, but it might take a weekend)? If yes and the bidding stays low, and you are within pickup distance, this could be a nice find. It would be good to ask the seller for the history of the stove and why the black castiron parts on the enameled stove for your own peace of mind. Also ask for some interior shots of the firebox that are noticeably missing on the auction.

As far as installation, just a guess, but maybe about $1000-1500?

Status
Not open for further replies.