1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What are YOUR usual temps? taking a poll

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jimmieguns, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Freakingstang

Freakingstang Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Berlin Center, Ohio
    Why are there so many non blower users?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We have no need of one with the radiant heat except on rare occasions if we get way below zero temperatures. Then the far rooms might get a bit cool. If so, we put a small fan in the hallway and blow the cool air toward the stove room and that warms the far rooms nicely.
  3. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    Before the wood stove, we always had a forced air furnace. I'm a light sleeper and often awoke when the furnace kicked on. I love the quiet of
    my home without any blowers. The only sound I hear in the still of the winter night is if the hot water heater happens to kick on. My home has
    good air circulation so a blower isn't necessary.

550-650.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thats funny, my wife, kids, and I all like to have some drowning noise....
    Kids all have those waterfall/rainforest/summer night sound clocks in their rooms, while wifey and I run a box fan in the BR all night long....even in the winter.....I GOTTA have something to lull me to sleep.....
    tfdchief likes this.
  5. Bub381

Bub381 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid-coast Maine
    10-4 scott
  6. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    500-650, no blower.
  7. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    Same here.. Can't hear the stove blower, although we hear actual waterfall sounds. The aquarium in the dining room has a overflow that pipes the water down to the basement where most of the equipment is at. Then it gets pumped back up.. Low tone/volume gurgly/splashy sound 24/7.
  8. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Do you think a fan blowing from the stove is better than a fan blowing into the room to circulate air thruout the house?
  9. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Yep, and when that happens in a structure on fire (just like a wood stove only no chimney until we make one) it is called a backdraft. It can be deadly......heat, fuel, but no oxygen. If it gets the oxygen some how.....boom::-)
    pen likes this.
  10. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    You know...I always thought these stoves were designed not to have this woof issue. Thats why they don't shut off the air completely.
  11. dja950

dja950 New Member

350-550, no blower.
  12. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Don't need it here, natural convection carries the heat around the house very nicely. I don't like the idea of having the noise either - I like a quiet home, even the fridge running is annoying. Yeah, this from the guy with 4 small kids, go figure. However there is all sorts of noise and some is more annoying than others... Once kids are asleep it is amazing how peaceful this place can be and I'd rather not listen to a fan drone on...
  13. DTrain

DTrain Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Stow, MA
    350 to 450. First year burning, still learning, not the most seasoned wood, no ss liner, and my thermometer I think is not the most accurate. Is that enough excuses for not burning hotter?

But we are warm in the house and everyone is happy!
  14. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    Keep the brush handy an run it down that chimney at least once per month with those conditions!

pen
  15. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    400 - 600 depending on what I need.
  16. DTrain

DTrain Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Stow, MA
    Am having the sweep come at the end of the month. I am able to burn clear out of the chimney fairly quickly. A good sign?
  17. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    They just don't understand - or at least appreciate the physics of thermal energy transfer! :)

As far as 'normal temps' - I use an old pyrometer from a crematory oven to monitor my stove top... if that gives some ballpark idea. Cruise at 600ish for general use, 850+ when I need lots of heat, if you want to talk actual numbers.
  18. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    ;)
    Corey likes this.
  19. dja950

dja950 New Member

Is it possible different brands of stove are going to show different temps? My stove manual says to run at 250-550 for most efficient burn. yet some on here are reporting 700 degree stove top temps? Mine averages high 400's, low 500s in the hottest part of the burn cycle but will drop to low to mid 400s for the middle part of the burn and eventually stall at 300 or so at the end with coals. My house stays near 70, and i get pretty long burn times so i figured that was normal. But i'm seeing people report 700 degrees, Id think that be over firing if i did that in mine. Im getting good secondaries
  20. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Yep. I don't think there is any question about that. You have to figure out and know your stove not someone else's stove. Just my humble opinion.;)
  21. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    It says that in your manual? Where does it tell you to measure from? I'm guessing it says a location that is either not the hottest part of the stove, or you have a soapstone stove? What's the make / model?

pen
    tfdchief likes this.
  22. dja950

dja950 New Member

4. For Maximum Efficiency:
    When the stove is hot, load it fully to the top of the door opening, and burn at medium low settings.
    When the fuel is mostly consumed, leaving a bed of red coals, repeat the process. Maximum heat for
    minimum fuel occurs when the stove top temperature is between 250 °F (120 °C) and 550 °F (290 °C).
    The most likely causes of dirty glass are: not enough fuel to get the stove thoroughly hot, burning green
    or wet wood, closing the draft until there is insufficient air for complete combustion, or a weak chimney
    draw. Indeed, the cleanness of the glass is a good indicator of the stove operating efficiently.

Enviro kodiak 1700 freestanding, not a soapstone
  23. pen

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    That's interesting for sure! I know if I try and keep a cruise burn of much less than 500 going, I have smoke coming out of the chimney.
  24. loudog

loudog Member

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    500-600, blower on lowest setting. Hearthstone Clydesdale insert. Hickory, a little wet at 20-25%.
  25. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Colorado- near the Divide
    550::F stove top with the blowers on low, for the first month. Cools down after that and I'll have to re-load.:)

I jest of course. (or do I...?);)