What Bad Economy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, your assessment of me and my motives is laughably far off the mark. I am not sure about that having a discussion about the reality of the situation is worthwhile.

So, I'm out.

peace

Reactions: woodgeek
Well, your assessment of me and my motives is laughably far off the mark. I am not sure about that having a discussion about the reality of the situation is worthwhile.

So, I'm out.

peace

I don't know that I actually made an assessment of you or our motives beyond implying that you think everything is going to be all right, a sentiment which I couldn't disagree with more.

As to which of us is right, only time will tell.

I'm not looking solely at economic indicators but I'd start with 17.5 trillion and growing at an exponential rate of nation debt. That's a good starting point I think.

[waits for Grisu to show up with a treatise on why that debt is an illusion......]

I
intelligence of the average American being equal to that of a bowl of stale oatmeal thing.

Seriously?? I haven't ever felt the need to say it on this board but right now "If you dont like it here you can leave" comes to mind. Lots of other countries to move to. M

The difference between Main Street and Wall Street:

Wall+Street+booms+Main+Street+sours.jpg

http://gulfcoastcommentary.blogspot.com/2013/09/our-broken-social-contract.html

They get some correct problems and causes but ignore the elephant in the room. That elephant is that government intervention in the economy and regulatory capture that has made this all possible.

Additionally, there is no social contract, that whole idea is a myth. Contracts require both parties to consent without the threat of force.

Seriously?? I haven't ever felt the need to say it on this board but right now "If you dont like it here you can leave" comes to mind. Lots of other countries to move to. M

It's very difficult for Americans to emigrate to most other countries that are actually worth emigrating to.

Really? Going to trot out the "love it or leave it" fallacy?

Back on topic, when I went to camp (Camp Sloane in Lakeville, CT) my mom was like 'Phew, that's one less that I have to chase after'. There was no French milled soap or attached bathrooms there. I wasn't that fond of camp, it bored me after a few days. So I signed up for every overnight hike and campout they had. That was when I fell in love with the Berkshires. I ended up moving there when I reached 18.

Reactions: Dix
They get some correct problems and causes but ignore the elephant in the room. That elephant is that government intervention in the economy and regulatory capture that has made this all possible.

Additionally, there is no social contract, that whole idea is a myth. Contracts require both parties to consent without the threat of force.

Let's not forget that government intervention is not rooted in altruism. It stems from an all consuming desire by those in government to maintain and increase the government's power and control over the general populace while simultaneously increasing their individual power and wealth.

This is not the ash can, let's keep political opinion out of the discussion. Save it for one of the bazillion other political opinion forums out there.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
When the boss feels like getting dirty. Don't hold your breath waiting.

Our little town is looking for a 1 million dollar overide - which means over and above the cap increase.
It will add about another $600 to our yearly tax bill.

Worse yet, they don't even try to explain either why they need it - or even what they are going to do with all of it! The only reason they need it is theft and bad management.

The formula for getting these things through is time tested. Tell all the school moms and teachers you are going to cut their budgets and layoff teachers big time. Instantly, they rise up and start clamoring for that tax increase.....

I don't know, though. This is New England. I guarantee if we all actually voted it would go down. BUT, they get to word the ballot question (tricky) and set the special dates for the election - meaning a date when they can get the YES vote out. They will not, of course, spend a dime to inform voters of what is happening.
:mad:

But you love government Craig. Why should you complain, you use all those good and services they provide right?

This is not the ash can, let's keep political opinion out of the discussion. Save it for one of the bazillion other political opinion forums out there.

Kind of hard to do when someone posts a political opinion as part of the discussion.

Kind of hard to do when someone posts a political opinion as part of the discussion.

Since no one was quoted I think that he was referring to everyone.

I enjoy this site so I'll respect the moderator's wishes but sometimes it's difficult to avoid the politics when financial and social issues are brought up, especially when I know I'm right.;)

Reactions: briansol
I brought this thread into the world and I am taking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.