What boots would, or did you buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakII

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2011
Eastern Ontario
Looking at buying rubber chainsaw boots (with liners and studs). What brand would, or did you buy? I've been looking at Husqvarna, Viking and Oregon. Anyone have any preferences or experience with these boots?

KodiakII said:
Looking at buying rubber chainsaw boots (with liners and studs). What brand would, or did you buy? I've been looking at Husqvarna, Viking and Oregon. Anyone have any preferences or experience with these boots?

Actually I just use a set of timberline steel-toe boots myself.

I have a set of stacked heel logger boots but I don't wear then all that often because they are heavy.

I would try anything on you are looking to wear and find something with a steel toe that is comfortable.

KodiakII said:

I think anyone of those will work fine. The thing to look at is if they use real rubber for the boot. Real rubber compounds tend to last a lot longer vs cheap made in China synthetic rubber. My father has Nokian chainsaw boots that are 20+ years and still going strong. All rubber chainsaw boots are pretty heavy, but nice to have in wet/wet snow conditions. Try to get felt liners.

I do all the cutting during the cold months and several years ago I bought a pair of Redwing boots that are much like a logger's boot but they have 1600 grams of thinsulate and are waterproof. They have an excellent tread on the bottom too so traction (very important) is really good. I always hesitate to wear rubber boots when running a saw.

After burning through two sets of goofy slip-on spikes from Kahtoola in four months, I ordered Viking Black Tusks from IRL Supplies in Canada. The caulks are a must since my land is extremely hilly and I like to cut no matter how muddy/icy/snowy it gets. They seem to run large but I'm still breaking them in and they probably have the extra room for liners. The boots seem well-made, lots of triple stitching. Mine didn't come with insoles.

I made my own. My winter boots have a couple dozen hex head screws fired into the soles.

NATE379 said:
I made my own. My winter boots have a couple dozen hex head screws fired into the soles.

That's exactly what I did with an extra pair of Carolina Loggers a few yrs back.Great for walking on ice covered jobsites,sidewalks & parking lots also.Though store managers werent to happy with me walking across their tile,stone or carpeted floors. :lol: I switched to Carhartt Loggers in 2008,after 20 yrs with Carolina's.Last 2 pair of Carolina didnt fit me as good compared to previous ones,and they wore out quicker.The Carhartt boots fit me better & are more durable.Been wearing steel-toed boots for various employers & my own use for 31 yrs,these are the best I've owned.Whether its 10 degrees or 90+ outside,they are comfortable even after a 10+ hr day.

I wear the Matterhorn Search and Rescue boot. Metal metatarsal shield, steel toe and Kevlar and Thinsulate lined. They cost somewhere around a car payment but I am fond of my feet and they last forever.

I love my Helly Hansen saw boots. Have had them over 10 years now. Great solid sole for walking. They are also my primary rubber boot for hunting and wheeling.

I have some Matterhorn chainsaw boots. Seem better built than the steel toe boots that I got in the military. Those lasted 40 years and I still have them. But they have been resoled, restitched and repaired so many times that it is hard to say they are the same boot. The Matterhorns look like they will have to be put in the will. Don't think those will ever wear out so the price was worth it.

At my age, you know some fellas that cut off parts of their bodies. They live with it, but the ones with the feet or toes missing struggle the most. A guy missing his left arm generally answers to lefty around here, but nobody jokes about those missing feet or toes.

Surprised you like the .mil boots. I have to wear them at work (Air Force) but my $40 Walmart specials I use at home are 10x more comfortable. I wear them almost anywhere, even go run the dog with them.

The .mil steel toe issued in 1969 was high-top, thick leather with an electrically resistive sole. They fit me perfectly. I love those boots. Even thought they have been rebuilt several times, they are getting worn. They need another sole/heel job, but cobbler said they couldn't be resoled again. He has retired without replacement, so some day I guess I will turn to the internet for one more service I used to get locally.

Got my first pair of Chippewa logger Boots. I was tired of having to purchase new boots every few years so I went for something more rugged. I bang around the woods from time to time, not daily. These boots are very comfortable and best of all, my toes are safe now.

Status
Not open for further replies.