What brand Harmon or Quadrfire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I'm going to replace my classic bay with either a Harmon or another Quadrafire. Which stove is better built and easier to clean. I'm heating a 2200 sq ft house. what do you think?
thanks for the help.

That's pretty subjective Steve.

which specific models are you considering... why not any others (dealer choice?)?

Having owned a quad 1200 and a Harman P61A, I would never ever bet both of my thumbs and right eye ever buy a quad again. the quad 1200 is a toy compared to the p61a.

richg said:
Having owned a quad 1200 and a Harman P61A, I would never ever bet both of my thumbs and right eye ever buy a quad again. the quad 1200 is a toy compared to the p61a.

i had an envirofire for about 3 weeks took it back to get a p61
now i have an accentra in my new house
in my old house had the p61 and bought the exception woodstove and man was that thing a beauty just thinking about it is like thinking about the first time
i ......................... broke a light bulb

I was thinking about the Quad Mt. Vernon and the Harmon P68.

I had a Quad Mt Vernon, the old style so maybe the newer one may be better but I sold the one I had. I never thought I got the heat out of it that I should have. That may be due to the way they are built with a cast liner protecting the aluminum heat exchanger tubes from direct flames which would melt or warp them. I now have an AES Countryside Magnum corn burner that has thick wall steel tube heat exchangers that are open to direct flames. This type of set up seems to exchange more heat for the amount of fuel burned. I also have a Country Stoves pellet stove in another part of the house that uses the thick wall steel heat exchanger that puts out more heat than the Quad ever thought of putting out. I would say go with the Harmon or find another brand that uses a thick wall steel heat exchanger of all of the people that I know that have various brands of stoves this style seems to put out more overall heat.

I have a new Mt Vernon AE stove i'm about 90% happy with it. It puts out pleanty of heat and the maintenence is a breeze with the self cleaning firepot. I just have to shopvac it a few times a week and it takes < 2 minutes. I like the programmable thermostat which makes it just like a heat pump. The only drawback i have is the noise its louder than i'd like when its on high. Quad is fixing many of the problems with this new years unit, many people are getting new control boards to fix issues with corn burning, noise, starting etc. From what i can tell quad is a top notch company and will bend over backwards to help people with this new model. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend one to anyone.

I agree that Quad is very well built stove and a good company I just didn't get the heat out of it that I get out of the other stoves. I do agree that they are noisy quite a bit noiser that anything else I have been around although I can't say if the new ones are quieter.

Status
Not open for further replies.