What brand is better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04xb12s

Sep 26, 2013
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for a good insert for our fireplace. I currently have two options on craigslist and can't find much on either, especially the craft stove. What do you guys think? I'm thinking the buck stove is the more established brand of the two, but who am I?

Attachments

• fredstove.jpg
    fredstove.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 209
  • manstove.jpg
    manstove.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 222
A couple quick questions.....

1. Is your budget very very low? I ask because these stoves are likely not very efficient (low MPG, so to speak) so you will use more wood, create more creosote, etc.

2. Since some (maybe most) fireplaces need their chimney relined to the top, an 8" flue such as the one these take...plus the adapters needs, etc. could surprise you due to cost.

I'd like to stay under $1000 all said and done. They are both listed for $500 on craigslist. The chimney is clay lined brick, house was built in the mid 70"s. Wood was our primary source of heat when I was growing up so I'm not totally new to it, but as far has hardware goes I have no clue.

Something that I would advise reading before buying or installing one of the old inserts into an unlined chimney flue. I did it for many years and wish I hadn't.

http://www.yourashismine.com/id27.html

Welcome to hearth.com. Lots of experience and good information here on safe and clean wood burning.

It's very difficult to fit these old inserts into most fireplaces and still have room for a liner. Those inserts should be more like $200-350 range. AKA scrap value, no offense intended.
I sold my 6 year old Lopi Freedom for $650, it takes a 6" liner and will fit almost any fireplace. If it was me,I would keep watching Craigslist for a newer stove, often they are giving the liner away with the purchase.

Hey 04xb12s, welcome to the forum. I think you can do way better for $500. Sounds like you're on the right track with moving towards wood heat, but for a few bucks more you can get a WAY better, cleaner, more efficient unit that will last you a lifetime. Maybe that's not the answer you're looking for, but my two cents is you can do really really well with an EPA certified unit for just a few bucks more. How many square feet are you looking to heat and where are you located?

Agree you can do a lot better than those even at $500. A used epa certified insert is certainly doable, and you might even find some inexpensive new models.

Besides being more efficient and heating much better, another benefit is that pretty much every modern unit has a nice big fire viewing window :)

I have the same Buck insert that's in your pic. It came with our house and I've been burning in it for seven years now. It's built like a tank and almost runs us out of our 100 sq ft ranch, but as has been said, it's not an efficient stove. With a lot of attention at the beginning of a fully loaded fire, I can get 5 hours, tops and that's choking it down and using very dry hardwood. The fan is pretty noisy in this stove and rattles a lot, when it gets hot. If you do get the Buck, replace the fan before you install it. If it hasn't been replaced already, it will probably need to be, soon.

I'm just now beginning the process of renovating my living room and will probably replace the insert with a free standing stove. I think I'd feel kind of guilty if I sold the old Buck for more than $350.

Reactions: CenterTree
Status
Not open for further replies.