What brand of Class-A SS Chimney Pipe is this? (with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chim_Chimney

Jan 16, 2017
Ohio
Hi everyone. I'm having troubling identifying what brand of Class A double-wall SS chimney pipe I have, and I need to tell my stove manufacturer what brand of anchor plate to send me.

What I have is 12' of some barely-used "Craigslist special" stuff. that I'm planning to use in a straight-up outdoor installation. I just bought a Shelter SF3042 outdoor forced air wood burning furnace, and I figured this stuff would be great. Sadly, since the furnace was bought through Menards, they by default included an anchor plate for their SuperVent chimney with no option to change that before delivery.

The sticker on my leftover stovepipe is sadly unreadable; it was stored outdoors for a time. I've been scouring the 'net for well over an hour, to little avail. The closest I can find that resembles what I have is Champion brand Class A chimney, but I can't locate a direct manufacturer website for the Champion, either. The only place I found that brand was at http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Class-A-Double-Wall?state=Champion|13748 I just called Woodland Direct, and they said that Olympia distributes the Champion line of Class A chimney pipe; however nothing but the Ventis line of SS chimney is shown on the Olympia website, and its pipe-to-pipe lockup looks a little different. In the past I'd been able to use this same batch of pipe with an ICC Excel through-wall thimble and exterior wall support, but from what I've been reading that kind of junction isn't really brand-specific.

Any ideas what brand this chimney pipe is? Pictures below:

chimney 1 (1).jpg chimney 1 (2).jpg chimney 1 (3).jpg chimney 1 (4).jpg

This photo is just to prove that I'm not a robot:
chimney 1 (5).jpg

What is the outside diameter of the pipe. Olympia's Class A pipe is 1/2" larger than most, so a 6" will be 8.5" and 8" is 10.5" diameter

The beads at both ends appear to be different than Oly's although they look similar. What city are you in?

it is definitely not olympia pipe. I don't recognize it though

What is the outside diameter of the pipe. Olympia's Class A pipe is 1/2" larger than most, so a 6" will be 8.5" and 8" is 10.5" diameter
Hi, Double-D.

The female end (on which the inner pipe sticks out farther) measures as follows:
Outer Pipe O.D.:8-3/16"
Inner Pipe O .D.: 6" or 6-1/32"

The male end (normally installed up for proper rain-shedding), where the inner and outer pipes are flush:
Outer Pipe O.D.: 8-1/16"
Inner Pipe O.D.: 6-5/16" necked down to ~6" over a length of run of approx. 3/4"-1".

Last edited by a moderator:
As bholler said, definitely not Olympia, not the correct size and a little different in look.

Sure looks like Excel to me.

Egad, I think you might be right! I was looking at their stuff earlier, and must have been looking at the wrong photo. That would explain why I used an Excel-brand through-wall thimble 4 years ago.

It would help idiots like me if the photos weren't all 225x225 resolution on the manufacturer websites, though.

It looks like mine. Which I think is Dura Vent.

Think webbie nailed it. Looks like Excel.

I think so too. It doesn't have a twist lock connection most other chimney brands.

I think so too. It doesn't have a twist lock connection most other chimney brands.
Yeah the only two that don't that I know of are ventis and excell and I know that isn't ventis. I just don't use excell enough to recognize it

Hurray! Thank you all very much. This question was starting to burn my britches. Now I just need to get that anchor plate on order... Should I post a picture of the new (hillbilly) install when it's done?

Hurray! Thank you all very much. This question was really starting to burn my britches. Now I just need to get an anchor plate on order...

Should I post a picture of the new hillbilly installation when it's done? (Shelter outdoor unit.)

Hurray! Thank you all very much. This question was really starting to burn my britches. Now I just need to get an anchor plate on order...

Should I post a picture of the new hillbilly installation when it's done? (Shelter outdoor unit.)
Yes, you should. Look forward to seeing it and good luck!