What brands are really the same or rebagged with a different name?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
The Same game! What other brands do you know of that are the same. Or rebagged another brand?

Here is what I have so far. Can anyone add to it.

Edited list so far

Dragon Mountain are made by Pinnicle(was also newp's green supreme's softwood at one time)

Michigans are the same as North Country

Cubex are the same as Northern and Comfort

Quality One is the same as M&M which are rebagged MWP.

Uncle Jeds Fir are the Same as Bear Mountain

Hamer also makes Winter Warm, Southern States and Hardwood Heat pellets Rumoured to also make the Agway brand pellets

Energex makes the Premier pellet both hard and softwood., Nature's Own, Fireside Ultra's, TSC brand hardwoods and Stove Chow.

Fiber By Product's makes ProPellet, Pot of Gold and Magic Sparks

Newp makes Clean Fires for woodpellets.com(Not sure anymore-see below). They also bag Warm front.

Hassle @ Hughes makes Greenway and also saw a video with them bagging Cleanfire hardwoods blend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duVj6D0pUBw&feature=related

Clear Choice is a Woodpellets.com pellet marketed for the stove shops. Basically the same as the CleanFires hard and pacific softwoods!

Clear Choice softwoods and Cleanfire pacific's might be Eagle Valley softwoods?

Logic-e and P.W.I. are bagged by PWI Industries

Potomac also bags the Independence brand

Nation’s Choice are rebagged Inferno's by International Forest Products

Tidy Timbers are rebagged Heat Resource out of Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Just looking for extra info to add.
Jay

Clean Fires from pellet sales.com are NEWP (they make soft & hard versions, I believe).

Pot-O-Gold are same as ProPellets and Magic Spark (Fiber-By Products)

I heard the Tractor Supply brand hardwood pellets are in fact made by energex

Tough question. ABC company could have two different grades of pellets based on the fiber used or the manufacturing location. The company could use different bags for each grade or could use the same bag for different grades. They could also market the same (or different) product in various geographical regions. Probably they could also have a big box vs. small outlet variety.

I think it's like fruits and vegetables. You can probably count on country of origin label and most likely the state of origin. That doesn't tell you if the "Florida Citrus" label means it's a good, average or poor bag of oranges.

As for prices, you're comparing apples and oranges. (A little humor there......... :) )

NEWP Green Supreme aka Dragon Mountain
Energex aka Fireside Ultra

Any company that farms out the products they sell is not married to the actual producer. The may use many different suppliers depending on location, volume, or what year you're talking about. What may be great one year may be junk another, or the same may happen in New England and New York.

BTU said:
tinkabranc said:
NEWP Green Supreme aka Dragon Mountain
Energex aka Fireside Ultra

This may be too much information, but I would like to clear this up.. NEWP's Green Supreme product was made for two years by Pinnacle Pellet out of BC Canada and in their 3rd and last year the pellet was made by another company from BC, which I am told also supplies the pellets currently for the Uncle Jed's product. So it's understandable some people think that Dragon Mtn and Uncle Jed's are the same ..they are not. I believe that Uncle Jed's may also bag a Douglas Fir product and I think that comes from Bear Mtn in OR.

I also believe that NEWP does not currently custom bag any product out of Canada and hasn't since Dec 2008. From comments made on this forum, Uncle Jed's either the Canadian softwood or the Douglas Fir product is a very well received, well liked product. Green Supreme certainly had an excellent reputation, as does Dragon Mtn.. Hope this clears up who is doing what.

I beleive the NEWP Green Supreme STARTED as Pinnacle, but towards the end, werent they actually a sister company of Pinnacle, Houston Pellet....

Brain cramp here....are you saying the GS in 08 were made somewhere else?

Out of curiosity, I checked my GS pellet stock for dates. My oldest bags have date
stamps of 5/2007, newest ones have 9/2008. The bags have been consistant all along
and are exactly the same as the Dragons I have.

BTU said:
tinkabranc said:

Out of curiosity, I checked my GS pellet stock for dates. My oldest bags have date
stamps of 5/2007, newest ones have 9/2008. The bags have been consistant all along

Yes that is what I am saying and have been told by reliable sources. Just cause the bag is the same, doesn't mean it can't be made at another mill. You have to understand that pellets are being made in an area of the country that produces an extremely good fiber and pretty much all the products coming out of BC are excellent. For most people it would be very hard to tell the difference say between Spruce Pointe and Dragon Mtn or Okanagan's from Eagle Valley..etc etc..That is why it was easy for them to go from one supplier to another and literally nobody was the wiser. I believe that the last NEWP GS were bagged in Palmer MA in December 2008..Remember NEWP was doing the custom bagging in Palmer and bringing the product in by bulk, not bagged at the mill as Dragon's are today...so having the same bag for the three year stretch would make sense...I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that...but with two products so close, not many people could or would notice any difference.
Last night I finished up a bag of Eagle Valley then put in a bag of Okanagan. The Okies were almost 20 degrees hotter. WOW!!! I will def be buying 2 tons of Okanagan next year.

Just found out that P.W.I. Industries Inc bagges both P.W.I. and Logik-ê pellets. Bags even look similar to each other!

I knew jtakeman would have the info I needed if I looked, Hardwood Heat are bagged by Hamers? I see that on your list. I was at our local TSC and the bags say Hardwood Heat produced for TSC. Or somethin preety close. $218 a ton. Its been a while guys and gals, hope I'm still allowed in!

Schoondog

schoondog said:
I knew jtakeman would have the info I needed if I looked, Hardwood Heat are bagged by Hamers? I see that on your list. I was at our local TSC and the bags say Hardwood Heat produced for TSC. Or somethin preety close. $218 a ton. Its been a while guys and gals, hope I'm still allowed in!

Schoondog

Allowed? Well I don't know-jk! Good to hear from you again schoondog. Go check out imacmans Bamboo thread, Something you and DJ might want to play with!

I keep hearing Hardwood Heats at TSC, But all my local carries is Instant Heats at $229.50/ton. Might have to take a Sunday drive to get a few bags to test!

schoondog said:

Schoondog

Hey schoon, how ya been man? Haven't seen you at the auction in a while.

Is it possible that Hamers makes the Hardwood Heat brand for whoever will offer them the "highest bid" price, so to speak?
Maybe TSC gave them more $$ this year than HD.

Any ideas BTU?

Nice to hear from you folks again!! The TSC in Highland has the Hardwood heat. I saw the sale signs out there there a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to stop in to question the deal. One of the guys there said they were a little "behind" on orders but they had pellets coming in a few times a week. May get a ton of Hardwoods since they are made by Hamers.

Schoondog

This is an excerpt from an email I received from my local Agway;
"as well as our "house brand", which is a hardwood pellet made for Agway by New England Wood Pellet right out of Jaffery."

This may not be true for all Agway's, but I'll take Tom's word for mine (since he owns the place).

Still leaves the question of why his brand burns hotter the the packaged NEWP's....

olddawgsrule said:
This is an excerpt from an email I received from my local Agway;
"as well as our "house brand", which is a hardwood pellet made for Agway by New England Wood Pellet right out of Jaffery."

This may not be true for all Agway's, but I'll take Tom's word for mine (since he owns the place).

Still leaves the question of why his brand burns hotter the the packaged NEWP's....

Batch variance, fiber quality for said batch. Size and density all have an effect on the heat of said pellet. I suppose Agway can put anybody's pellet in there bags. The cost of shipping would certainly be cheaper to have a local pellet mill bag them and not have to spend extra cash on trucking further distances.

Another reason could be are they really NEWP's? Because we do have "insider" info of Hamers bagging Agway's. Some further digging will be required!

oilhater said:
BTU said:
tinkabranc said:

Yes that is what I am saying and have been told by reliable sources. Just cause the bag is the same, doesn't mean it can't be made at another mill. You have to understand that pellets are being made in an area of the country that produces an extremely good fiber and pretty much all the products coming out of BC are excellent. For most people it would be very hard to tell the difference say between Spruce Pointe and Dragon Mtn or Okanagan's from Eagle Valley..etc etc..That is why it was easy for them to go from one supplier to another and literally nobody was the wiser. I believe that the last NEWP GS were bagged in Palmer MA in December 2008..Remember NEWP was doing the custom bagging in Palmer and bringing the product in by bulk, not bagged at the mill as Dragon's are today...so having the same bag for the three year stretch would make sense...I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that...but with two products so close, not many people could or would notice any difference.
Last night I finished up a bag of Eagle Valley then put in a bag of Okanagan. The Okies were almost 20 degrees hotter. WOW!!! I will def be buying 2 tons of Okanagan next year.

The Eagle Valley are very dusty too.

North American sold at Lowes = Currans

Warm Front = NEWP

Viridis Energy, Inc.

Viridis Energy Inc., an alternative energy company, engages in the distribution and
marketing of softwood pellets to the residential and industrial markets in the United States and Canada.
It distributes wood pellets biomass for the renewable power generation
under the Okanagan Pellets, Clean Burn, Surefire, and Dragon Mountain brand names.

From Yahoo Finance while researching stocks.

[/quote] Last night I finished up a bag of Eagle Valley then put in a bag of Okanagan. The Okies were almost 20 degrees hotter. WOW!!! I will def be buying 2 tons of Okanagan next year.[/quote]

I had good luck with Green Supreme 3 years ago and so my dealer sold me Okanagan 2 years ago saying it was the same thing from the same place in a different bag. Sucked totally. Bags and palletizing were cheap, too. I just found Vermont Softwoods and I ain't goin' back, talk about HOT & CLEAN!! And yes the bags and pallet covers are the best I've seen. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.