1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What brands are really the same or rebagged with a different name?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jtakeman, Jan 22, 2010.

1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    The Same game! What other brands do you know of that are the same. Or rebagged another brand?

Here is what I have so far. Can anyone add to it.

Edited list so far

Dragon Mountain are made by Pinnicle(was also newp's green supreme's softwood at one time)

Michigans are the same as North Country

Cubex are the same as Northern and Comfort

Quality One is the same as M&M which are rebagged MWP.

Uncle Jeds Fir are the Same as Bear Mountain

Hamer also makes Winter Warm, Southern States and Hardwood Heat pellets Rumoured to also make the Agway brand pellets

Energex makes the Premier pellet both hard and softwood., Nature's Own, Fireside Ultra's, TSC brand hardwoods and Stove Chow.

Fiber By Product's makes ProPellet, Pot of Gold and Magic Sparks

Newp makes Clean Fires for woodpellets.com(Not sure anymore-see below). They also bag Warm front.

Hassle @ Hughes makes Greenway and also saw a video with them bagging Cleanfire hardwoods blend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duVj6D0pUBw&feature=related

Clear Choice is a Woodpellets.com pellet marketed for the stove shops. Basically the same as the CleanFires hard and pacific softwoods!

Clear Choice softwoods and Cleanfire pacific's might be Eagle Valley softwoods?

Logic-e and P.W.I. are bagged by PWI Industries

Potomac also bags the Independence brand

Nation’s Choice are rebagged Inferno's by International Forest Products

Tidy Timbers are rebagged Heat Resource out of Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Just looking for extra info to add.
    Jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Clean Fires from pellet sales.com are NEWP (they make soft & hard versions, I believe).

Pot-O-Gold are same as ProPellets and Magic Spark (Fiber-By Products)
  3. dhungy

dhungy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fingerlakes
    I heard the Tractor Supply brand hardwood pellets are in fact made by energex
  4. Stentor

Stentor Member

Loc:
    North of Boston, Mass
    Tough question. ABC company could have two different grades of pellets based on the fiber used or the manufacturing location. The company could use different bags for each grade or could use the same bag for different grades. They could also market the same (or different) product in various geographical regions. Probably they could also have a big box vs. small outlet variety.

I think it's like fruits and vegetables. You can probably count on country of origin label and most likely the state of origin. That doesn't tell you if the "Florida Citrus" label means it's a good, average or poor bag of oranges.

As for prices, you're comparing apples and oranges. (A little humor there......... :) )
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    You say, there be grapes about?
  6. Stentor

Stentor Member

Loc:
    North of Boston, Mass
    In this forum, grapes no, gripes yes.
  7. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    NEWP Green Supreme aka Dragon Mountain
    Energex aka Fireside Ultra
  8. Stentor

Stentor Member

Loc:
    North of Boston, Mass
    Of course, some people do whine. :)
  9. Stentor

Stentor Member

Loc:
    North of Boston, Mass
    Ooops, there's an adult in the room. With information.
  10. Souzafone

Souzafone Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Freetown, Massachusetts
    Any company that farms out the products they sell is not married to the actual producer. The may use many different suppliers depending on location, volume, or what year you're talking about. What may be great one year may be junk another, or the same may happen in New England and New York.
  11. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

I beleive the NEWP Green Supreme STARTED as Pinnacle, but towards the end, werent they actually a sister company of Pinnacle, Houston Pellet....
  12. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    Brain cramp here....are you saying the GS in 08 were made somewhere else?

Out of curiosity, I checked my GS pellet stock for dates. My oldest bags have date
    stamps of 5/2007, newest ones have 9/2008. The bags have been consistant all along
    and are exactly the same as the Dragons I have.
  13. Oilhater

Oilhater Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Last night I finished up a bag of Eagle Valley then put in a bag of Okanagan. The Okies were almost 20 degrees hotter. WOW!!! I will def be buying 2 tons of Okanagan next year.
  14. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Just found out that P.W.I. Industries Inc bagges both P.W.I. and Logik-ê pellets. Bags even look similar to each other!
  15. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    I knew jtakeman would have the info I needed if I looked, Hardwood Heat are bagged by Hamers? I see that on your list. I was at our local TSC and the bags say Hardwood Heat produced for TSC. Or somethin preety close. $218 a ton. Its been a while guys and gals, hope I'm still allowed in!

Schoondog
  16. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Allowed? Well I don't know-jk! Good to hear from you again schoondog. Go check out imacmans Bamboo thread, Something you and DJ might want to play with!

I keep hearing Hardwood Heats at TSC, But all my local carries is Instant Heats at $229.50/ton. Might have to take a Sunday drive to get a few bags to test!
  17. imacman

imacman Guest

Hey schoon, how ya been man? Haven't seen you at the auction in a while.

Is it possible that Hamers makes the Hardwood Heat brand for whoever will offer them the "highest bid" price, so to speak?
    Maybe TSC gave them more $$ this year than HD.

Any ideas BTU?
  18. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    Nice to hear from you folks again!! The TSC in Highland has the Hardwood heat. I saw the sale signs out there there a few weeks ago, but wasn't able to stop in to question the deal. One of the guys there said they were a little "behind" on orders but they had pellets coming in a few times a week. May get a ton of Hardwoods since they are made by Hamers.

Schoondog
  19. olddawgsrule

olddawgsrule Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    This is an excerpt from an email I received from my local Agway;
    "as well as our "house brand", which is a hardwood pellet made for Agway by New England Wood Pellet right out of Jaffery."

This may not be true for all Agway's, but I'll take Tom's word for mine (since he owns the place).

Still leaves the question of why his brand burns hotter the the packaged NEWP's....
  20. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Batch variance, fiber quality for said batch. Size and density all have an effect on the heat of said pellet. I suppose Agway can put anybody's pellet in there bags. The cost of shipping would certainly be cheaper to have a local pellet mill bag them and not have to spend extra cash on trucking further distances.

Another reason could be are they really NEWP's? Because we do have "insider" info of Hamers bagging Agway's. Some further digging will be required!
  21. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    The Eagle Valley are very dusty too.
  22. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    North American sold at Lowes = Currans
  23. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    Warm Front = NEWP
  24. olddawgsrule

olddawgsrule Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    Viridis Energy, Inc.

Viridis Energy Inc., an alternative energy company, engages in the distribution and
    marketing of softwood pellets to the residential and industrial markets in the United States and Canada.
    It distributes wood pellets biomass for the renewable power generation
    under the Okanagan Pellets, Clean Burn, Surefire, and Dragon Mountain brand names.

From Yahoo Finance while researching stocks.
  25. tgordo49

tgordo49 New Member

Loc:
    Boston Metro-West
    [/quote] Last night I finished up a bag of Eagle Valley then put in a bag of Okanagan. The Okies were almost 20 degrees hotter. WOW!!! I will def be buying 2 tons of Okanagan next year.[/quote]

I had good luck with Green Supreme 3 years ago and so my dealer sold me Okanagan 2 years ago saying it was the same thing from the same place in a different bag. Sucked totally. Bags and palletizing were cheap, too. I just found Vermont Softwoods and I ain't goin' back, talk about HOT & CLEAN!! And yes the bags and pallet covers are the best I've seen. :)