What brands of pellets have you burned this year ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Keepers (and the bulk of the growing stash for next year):
Okanagan
Vermont
Maine Woods

The 'I would like them if I could get the reliably or inexpensively':
Rocky Mountain
Spruce Point
Cubex

The 'eehhh, I'll pass, thanks':
NEWP
Lignetics

The 'eff no never again':
Inferno
AWF
Maine Choice

Still have to try:
Curran Soft
Curran Blend
Stove Chow

2 tons of pro-pellets and 4 bags of somersets this year. I want to get a pot gasket and blower gasket and clean both really well before the season is up and see how much it changes things. The pot has a lot of buildup that is a pain to get off even with using a small prybar for a scraper and the combustion blower has never been cleaned to my knowledge before I purchased the stove off of CL.

I will probably finish the year out with rocky mountains.

I seem to get a lot more buildup with the pro-pellets than I did with the rocky's last year in the burn pot.

In order favorite burning first

1. Spruce Pointe
2. Barefoots
3. Dragons
4. Green Team (best bang for the buck)
5. Stove Chow
6. Clean Energy
7. Fireside Ultra (would like to try a few more bags, batch issue?)
8. NEWP (leftover from last year, Craigslist buy, Yuck)
9. Infero (one bag)

In favorite order:

1. Hamer's Hot Ones
2. Barefoot
3. Okanagan
4. Lignetics (green bag)

Tree Cycle...........total crap!~ No heat, dirty. Still have 33 bags left. Will give them away!!

TriState .........works well, my stove likes them. But I was told they had a 2nd fire and are not back up running yet.

AWFs - very good in my stove; pellets nice and short
Somersets - good; not as good as previous years
Presto Logs - hot, but more ash than AWFs and long pellets. Much better than the green label lignetics I tried last year.

Are Rockies still made? I have a few bags buried in the back from two years ago and haven't seen them since. Good pellet.

1 bag of eurekas (auger jammed right up)
rocky canyon(a couple bags decent pellet)

lignetics( bought 1 ton $245 delivered)
bear mountain(2 bags probable best pellet 285 a ton)
oakies( bought 23 bags HD $3.54 a bag)
blazers(bought 30 bags from HD $3.54 a bag)

Hav not tried blazers yet, I will try tonight.

So far
Tristate
AWP
Hardwood Heat
Green Team

Looking to try a few more.

I started with about 20 bags of Marth softwoods...

I've also used about 10 bags of Lumberjack softwoods...

My first full ton were Western Elite Doug Fir...

Now I'm burning Southern Indiana Hardwoods...

I have two stoves and I usually buy 3 tons at the beginning of the year and another ton as prices fluctuate during the year.

This year I bought 2 tons of North Idaho Energy Pellets and one ton of Westwood Premium Wood Pellets (AKA Okanagan Pellets).

I have bought "trial amounts" (3 to 5 bags at a time) for evaluation of the following:

Armstrong SPF (Very Good)
Armstrong Premium Douglas Fir (Very Good)
Rocky Canyon Ultra Premium Red Fir (Very Good, but inconsistent on the amount of fines in bag)
Atlas Ultra Premium Red Fir (Good....out of business unfortunately)
Blazers (Very Good)

starlight,AWF,green team,greenway,kentucky kernel. Would not buy starlight again many long pellets 2 1/4" ,low heat and above average ash.

Lets see,
Hardwood heats 1/2 ton - good pellet
Somersets 1/2 ton - good almost great pellet
Stove chow working on a ton - pretty good pellet this year
2 bags of Great Northern soft wood - ok pellet
2 bags of Okies - great pellet
5-6 bags of Presto logs - shoulder season pellet
5-6 bags of AWF - shoulder season pellet
5-6 bags of Penningtons - shoulder season pellet
15 bags of Hamers - great pellet

Wish I could find another ton of Somersets at $178 a ton. I almost got to burn a few ags of the SIH pellet but by the time I got to Lowes they were gone.

Schoondog

So far this year I have burned Currans soft woods I like still have about a ton left and working on 10 bags of stove show now they seem ok pretty hot just cleaned stove yesterday and have burnt all chow so looking to see how much ash I have seem good and hot so far,might hit up lowes or depot and get somemore..........

Somersets
Hard Wood heat
AWF
just picked up 20 bags of Treecycle for a $1/bag
house is nice an warm

justinc25 said:
Just curious. Jay is exempt from this question
If he wants to be, since the pellet review thread
exists, and the list is quite long for him..........

If I didn't reply I would feel left out! Always have to add my 2 cents to a pellet thread. :)

Test pellets aside. My pellets burned so far. My only dislike are the O Malleys(no heat and way to much ash!)

2 bags of Cubex
2 bags of Hamers
27 bags of Turmans(trading the remaining 27 bags to a fellow that has issues with Hamers)
38 bags of Stove chow
2 bags Clean Energy
6 Bags of Pres to Logs
14 bags of O Malleys

Best bang for the buck. Nominee's

Stove Chow, Clean Energy, SIH.

pnjwilson said:

Oakies sold at HD?????????????????? $3.54, thats lower than his overated wholesale
I guess BTU is getting desperate to UNLOAD!

Pellet-King said:
pnjwilson said:

Oakies sold at HD?????????????????? $3.54, thats lower than his overated wholesale

Let's see? pnjwilson is from Montana. He's getting Blazers for the same price as the Okies.

Blazers here are well over $300/ton So I'd say much bigger markup! You really got it out for BTU don't ya? Well he's been booted from the forums. So don't expect a reply from him!

My 2 on this! The box stores are basically giving the pellets away this season. Most are loosing money to compete with the other bigbox's in the area. There prices shouldn't even be compaired to the pellet house's. Just remember the seasonal deal from the box stores. Once its time to roll out the lawn and garden crap. The pellets go away with plenty of heating season remaining. See if they will order you a ton of fuel to finish up the season! I think you'd freeze first. I can get pellets all season long from the pellet house's as there always in season there!

I like to tease the fellow.....hehe, didnt realize he was booted...why?
Week ago my local HD, Enfield, had only 5-6 tons left and were sold to a cust, might go there today and take a peek, I only have maybe 2.5 tons sitting in garage, with 3 bag's of oakies, 1 bag of 3 yr old dry creek and 25 bag's 2yr old bags of Instantheat-less and ton of Nature's Ash
Garden area was full of boxes of summer stuff, lawn mowers and patio heaters, which i feel are the biggest watse of money!!, heat up a patio?, i had a $4000 stamped concrete patio installed last spring, would i heat the open air around it....not!!

j-takeman said:
Pellet-King said:
pnjwilson said:

Let's see? pnjwilson is from Montana. He's getting Blazers for the same price as the Okies.

Blazers here are well over $300/ton So I'd say much bigger markup! You really got it out for BTU don't ya? Well he's been booted from the forums. So don't expect a reply from him!

My 2 on this! The box stores are basically giving the pellets away this season. Most are loosing money to compete with the other bigbox's in the area. There prices shouldn't even be compaired to the pellet house's. Just remember the seasonal deal from the box stores. Once its time to roll out the lawn and garden crap. The pellets go away with plenty of heating season remaining. See if they will order you a ton of fuel to finish up the season! I think you'd freeze first. I can get pellets all season long from the pellet house's as there always in season there!

Jay I was just talking to a buddy about this. BB are cheap. Will that hinder a perspective business person from opening a pellet house ? I wish that there was a house closer to me. I sorta hate to buy from the BB, but thats what I've got. I would love to buy from a place like BT Enterprise, but man, pay a little extra for a quality pellet, spend a day traveling, fuel for the truck, trailering,etc. Or just stop on the way home and grab a ton of Hardwood heats, Somersets, Chow, etc. deal with uneducated pellet people, pick out my ton that hasn't been moved a thousand times with the lower bags ripped open, and go home. Will oil going back up encourage someone to open a house locally with the hope that more folks will buy pellets from them? Hope so. I will pay a little more for good service and consistant people.

Schoondog

schoondog said:
Jay I was just talking to a buddy about this. BB are cheap. Will that hinder a perspective business person from opening a pellet house ? I wish that there was a house closer to me. I sorta hate to buy from the BB, but thats what I've got. I would love to buy from a place like BT Enterprise, but man, pay a little extra for a quality pellet, spend a day traveling, fuel for the truck, trailering,etc. Or just stop on the way home and grab a ton of Hardwood heats, Somersets, Chow, etc. deal with uneducated pellet people, pick out my ton that hasn't been moved a thousand times with the lower bags ripped open, and go home. Will oil going back up encourage someone to open a house locally with the hope that more folks will buy pellets from them? Hope so. I will pay a little more for good service and consistant people.

Schoondog

I think the box stores are tough on any business. But its the game we play. But some mom+pop's manage to compete somehow. If they go at it right and not try to over price? Sure they could compete. But there sales window will be once the box stores quiet selling them at below cost. As I think about it, We start burning in Late Sept. early Oct. Burn right up till end of May. How long do the boxes carry pellets? Not all that long. Most don't even have them when I start burning. They will get them in around mid Oct. or so. I think they pack it in around end of Jan. early Feb. So again, There is a window for sales. Another is the box stores don't start the season very low. Lowe's and HD both started out at $299/ton this season locally. I could buy some dandy pellets from the houses for that!

I have 3+ local pellet house's now. All less than 30 miles from me. So I consider myself very lucky.

penningtons (never again)
american wood fiber (seemed OK)
Southern States (AKA Hamer Hot Ones)

I am going to stay with Southern States they do a good job but I do get the hard ash in the burn pot each night (after 24 hours on high).

Best to worst.

1) Somerset ( my stove like these best Great heat and low ash $300/ton)
2) Lignetics(good heat but $340/ton)
3) Stove Chow(best bang for buck!!!!)
4) AWF (the same as stove chow but more ash and money. $40/more a ton)
5) Nations Choice( $200/ton clean but not much heat)

Status
Not open for further replies.