What bug does this Help ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewdee

Feb 9, 2011
Central NJ
I just noticed the dust. The tree was dead standing(maple) for about one year we just took it down two weeks ago c/s/s the next day.

Attachments

• DSCN2211-1.jpg
    DSCN2211-1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 340
I can't really see much in the picture besides sawdust - maybe I am not looking at the right spot. I get sawdust on my dead firewood from, I think, powderpost beetles. No big deal, except it is messy.

Knocked some of that off the Spruce that's been in the shed since spring as I was staging it on the porch. If there are any bugs in the wood when it comes in the house, they're gonna' get toasted.
Don't know what mine were, but I could hear the darn things crunching in the stack. Like someone eating a bowl of cornflakes next to a mic.

I was looking at the upper split, right where the two splits touch each other in the middle.

Matt

I would guess it's a beatle. Especially if you can hear it. Every year (at is time) I find tons of bug damage when I'm moving wood to the shed.

We get lots of powder post beetles and the telltale sign is those little piles of very fine sawdust. The dead elm seems to have them the worst. Nothing to be concerned about except to be sure you knock the dust off before carrying the wood into the house. I just simply knock a split against the woodpile to get the dust off. My wife actually brushes the wood and I laugh at her.

Status
Not open for further replies.