What can hearth.com members do to help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I thought I would start a thread to help share ideas of what Hearth.com members could do to help people affected by this terrible storm known as Sandy. I am waiting to here from a member friend of mine, Infinitymike, who is on Long Island. Still nothing yet. :( I am sure you have all felt helpless, like there is nothing you can do. Everyone has had someone at one time or another, a friend or loved one in the hospital or a long ways away going through something like this storm. So if you can share ideas of how to help, share them. I just saw the red Hurrican Relief letters on yahoo.com and clicked on it.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/hurricane-sandy--how-to-help.html

I am not going to donate until I do a little research first. Then, that will be one way I can help out. If everyone on Hearth.com made a donation we could have a very helpful impact. What do you folks say? Let's here your ideas.

And thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The American Red Cross are there as second responders. They provide food and shelter which is most important right now.

If someone has time and not money, it might be helpful, once things are more settled, to show up with a chainsaw and help people deal with downed trees. Not necessarily hauling away or cutting up to firewood size, but just making it easier for the next step to occur. Another idea: show up and sharpen chains all day long for people who ran out and bought a chainsaw.

Push your employer to make a donation with a matching grant.

Don't be too quick to pop a check in the mail to the first emotional appeal that makes it to you. Do a little research to determine whether or not the particular non-profit relief agency you are considering is an effective and efficient organization. This information is not difficult to ferret out. One of many resources:

http://www.guidestar.org/rxg/give-to-charity/hurricane-sandy-recovery.aspx

Speaking of Yankees...I think I just read that the NY Yankee org gave half a mil to the Red Cross. Not to be outdone, the NFL & players' union are giving $1M.

One of the things I like about the Southern Baptist operation. They coordinate out of Red Cross headquarters. And them and the Red Cross and FEMA have been working together for a real long time.

I'm sure they're one of the finest...or you wouldn't be posting about them here.

(You & I were typing at the same time earlier a couple posts up.)

Status
Not open for further replies.