What can I install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colescott1

Hearth Supporter
Aug 9, 2010
MD
Hello Hearth.com! Been reading a lot, but can't seem to find my situation. Had a house built 3 years ago... builder put a Craftsman 42L (think Heatilator) fireplace in. Chimney is a framed chase, with the 8" stainless pipe going up through. Wife has liked the "open" fireplace, but watching my money go up in smoke drives me nuts, so I've convinced her to install an insert.

What I've been told so far blows me away.... I had just envisioned having the entire heatilator ripped out, leaving plenty of room for them to install the insert of my choice, but have been told that I need to stick to the small inserts that actually still utilize the heatilator (they just remove the doors and screen, and slide it in. WHAT A WASTE!

I have a 2600 sq ft house...2 levels, open floor plan. I was locked in on the Regency I2400/I3100, or the Pacific Energy Summit. Naturally I'd love to be able to heat everything from the insert, but realize that likely won't happen as good as it sounds.

I guess I never read thoroughly enough, but that almost all inserts are made strictly for a masonry fireplace. (I thought the firebox on them would be no different then the firebox on the heatilator...rip one out, put one in, and redo the trim.

Anybody go through this / have suggestions? I HATE my heatilator, but don't want to put in the smallest of small inserts into it.

Yeah, basically all you can do with zero clearance type fireplaces is remove the doors and damper and look for an insert that fits. Another option is to rip the whole thing out, build a new hearth, class A chimney and install a freestanding stove.

It's hard to say what inserts will work. Can you provide full dimensions for the firebox on the unit? That way we can discuss what will fit. Or perhaps just extend the hearth, run a liner up the flue and connect it to a rear-exit stove like a Jotul F600 Fireview?

I did not think any one was still installing those crapilator deally bobs, not worth the powder to blow them to hell.

Seems generous enough. The PE summit should just fit. The Regency I3100 is a tad too tall, but a Lopi Freedom or Avalon Olympic should work also.

PE Summit Requirements:
Fireplace Specifications
Your fireplace is required to have the following minimum
sizes:
WIDTH (at front) 34-1/2" (876 mm)
WIDTH (at rear) 26-1/2" (673 mm)
HEIGHT 23-1/8" (587 mm)
DEPTH 18" (778 mm)

I2400 should fit as well, however apparently they are NOT made to go into a prefab fireplace. I was trying to understand why... I mean, if I can burn a fire in a prefab, shouldn't I be able to burn a fire in an insert, in a prefab? :)

colescott1 said:
I2400 should fit as well, however apparently they are NOT made to go into a prefab fireplace. I was trying to understand why... I mean, if I can burn a fire in a prefab, shouldn't I be able to burn a fire in an insert, in a prefab? :)

follow the makers recomendation, if they tested safe for zc install, they'd be listed as such

some inserts have very hot bottoms, and zc fireplaces usually have very minimal hearth protection

colescott1 said:

No. The amount of heat generated by a fire in an open fire place is no where near the level of heat an insert or wood stove is going to develop. But, as stated above, just because it "fits" doesn't mean it's approved for use in a prefab.

Ya, prefabs are a bit of a pain. Both the fireplace and the insert must be approved for such an installation so finding a compatible setup isn't easy. Personally I also would just rip the whole thing out and install a freestanding stove.

I'll go against the grain here. I would rip the whole thing out and install a high-efficiency zero-clearance fireplace. A zero-clearance fireplace should be able to go into any space with combustible materials right next to it.

We're just about ready to order our Kozyheat Z42CD to install in our living room. THe z42 is a very classy looking, 73% efficient, low-emissions zero-clearance fireplace. You may have to redo your hearth and reframe the opening for the new fireplace, but that shouldn't be a problem as long you're sure it will fit in whatever space you have.

colescott1 said:
I have a 2600 sq ft house...2 levels, open floor plan...Naturally I'd love to be able to heat everything from the insert, but realize that likely won't happen as good as it sounds.

Given the right set up, I wouldn't say that is out of the question, or even that unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.