What causes the paint to wrinkle when painting a smooth steel stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

What causes the paint to wrinkle when painting a smooth steel stove?

See pic

Attachments

• OaintWrinkleSC (1).jpg
    OaintWrinkleSC (1).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 499
Usually happens when you spray a solvent based lacquer over an enamel painted item.

Impurities on the stove prior to painting, overfiring (hard to do on a pellet stove), Applying coats that are too thick or not allowing flash time between coats.

Probably faulty or inadequate surface prep prior to painting. Also their may be a conflict with the formula of the two paints. Not really enough info given to make that determination.

Shane said:
Impurities on the stove prior to painting, overfiring (hard to do on a pellet stove), Applying coats that are too thick or not allowing flash time between coats.

I did wire brush the area and used a 1200 Degree F Stove Paint. Most of the stove painted up fine just a few pots had wrinkle.

Would Mineral Spirits or White Vinegar or 320 grit sandpaper help in the preparation?

Attachments

• MineralSpirits.jpg
    MineralSpirits.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 395
Wire brush and sand any loose or flaking paint
Clean with acetone using at least two different clean rags (keep cleaning until the rags don't have any oily residue
Allow to dry
Spray light coats and allow to tack up before next coat

Aaron

I had that happen when I touched up an area of Simpson DVL pipe with StoveBrite. StoveBrite is an acetone based paint that was incompatible with the lacquer(?) based paint used on the pipe. I was told by Simpson to use Krylon High Temp paint and sure enough it worked fine.

Shane said:

I have had it happen because I got to anxious. To much to soon. I didnt let it dry enough between coats. :gulp:

This was on a vehicle, but same principal applies.

104 percent of the time when it wrinkles in a pattern like that it is lacquer over enamel.

BB - Who in this convoluted life he has led spent some time mixing paint matches for body shops. A long, long time ago.

BeGreen said:
I had that happen when I touched up an area of Simpson DVL pipe with StoveBrite. StoveBrite is an acetone based paint that was incompatible with the lacquer(?) based paint used on the pipe. I was told by Simpson to use Krylon High Temp paint and sure enough it worked fine.

Weird, stove bright made "dura-black" it was an exact match. I never had trouble with it, maybe they changed paint since I last knew, I guess that was four years ago now. And Lopi used to paint the Astorias with Stovebrite metallic black, they even sent a touch up can with the stoves.

BrotherBart said:
104 percent of the time when it wrinkles in a pattern like that it is lacquer over enamel.

BB - Who in this convoluted life he has led spent some time mixing paint matches for body shops. A long, long time ago.

Someday someone will write a book about you.... and I will buy it. :)

Shane said:
BrotherBart said:

Someday someone will write a book about you.... and I will buy it. :)

I was always just a little conflicted about what I wanted to do for a living. Haven't mentioned the hot tar roofing part yet...

How somebody could do so much goofy stuff and still end up pretty well off in his life amazes me. If I had focused maybe I would be rich. Oh well, too late now.

Aaron Pasteris said:
Wire brush and sand any loose or flaking paint
Clean with acetone using at least two different clean rags (keep cleaning until the rags don't have any oily residue
Allow to dry
Spray light coats and allow to tack up before next coat

Aaron

Hello Aaron

I am doing Enamel on Enamel but there may be some contamination like oil from fingers and dirt.
Went to Lowes and got some 400 grit sandpaper and acetone. Will give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• AcetoneSC.jpg
    AcetoneSC.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 300
  • SandPaper400Gsc.jpg
    SandPaper400Gsc.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 306
Be very careful with that acetone.

Indeed. Be sure you are in a totally well ventilated space. A vapor mask would be a good idea too.

It also can occur if silicone was ever sprayed on underlying metal. Once silicone gets in a surface, there arent many ways ot getting it out, its impervious to most solvents.

Hello

I tried the Acetone but no luck when applied before the paint. The paint still got wrinkled.

So I finally tried using the high temp (1200 Deg F) Rustoleum BBQ Black as a base coat.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_85594-90-24...l__0__s?Ntt=bbq+black+spray+paint&facetInfo;=

Then used the high temp (1200 Deg F) Stove Bright in Satin Black and it worked!!
Got some stove bright at the local Stove Shop for $10.95

The Rustoleum goes on lighter and adheres to the metal a little better. Primer would probably work too.

I have been bugged out on this issue but this seems like the solution!!

Attachments

• RustoleumBBQFlatBlack.jpg
    RustoleumBBQFlatBlack.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 339
  • StoveBrightSatinBlackSprayPaint.jpg
    StoveBrightSatinBlackSprayPaint.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 221
BrotherBart said:
Usually happens when you spray a solvent based lacquer over an enamel painted item.

Your paint lift was because of what BB said above...Your rust-oleum worked because it was enamel. BB the principle of old painting are still being used today...your right on.
md

Status
Not open for further replies.