what chain saw to get..................... first time buyer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FLINT said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:
smokinjay said:

I agree (although he may not find a 361....been replaced by the 362). I'd keep a 20" bar on the saw. By overbucking or cutting most the way through a log and finishing it up from the other side, you can easily handle 24" wood.

around hear I have not seen one yet (362)

really??? all the dealers around here haven't had the 361 for months - I know because I've been planing on buying a 361 for a couple years, so I look at them every time i'm in to get oil or whatever - but it seems like since early this year the 362s are all they have had.

I have an old 028 from about 1980, that just won't die. I've replaced a few parts on it, but nothing yet that I can justify ditching the saw over.

After my experience with this saw, I am thoroughly convinced, that if you pay for a good saw up front, you will be happy you did for years to come.

Also, for the OP - make sure you buy your saw from a good dealer, as they will be invaluable in the future as you have the saw serviced or if you ever need parts or help, etc. I like to do as much of my own repairs as possible, and my dealer/service guy will literally show me exactly what to do. if I get in over my head, I'll turn it over to him. Good luck!

Really I spend my share at the store as of 2 weeks ago they stil had 361. After buying my 880 and having issues with it they know my voice on the phone as well.

abby4000 said:
Thanks for all the replys all

I have been researching and have come up with a choice between the 280,260 or 362. So hard to choose I want something that will do it all. Decisions, decisions......
I will be making my mind up within next few weeks and will post some pics of the new girl.

THank you all very much for your feed back, it is very much appreciated.

Go buy the 362 and be done.....the other saws will have you second guessing yourself when you get in to the larger wood

Status
Not open for further replies.