What chimney liner to buy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey all,
I need to get a stainless liner to install my insert. Priced out having it done but all 3 wanted $3,000 to install the stove I already have. Plan B is to do it myself. I have looked online but stainless thickness varies greatly. I have seen .05, .06, .17, smooth wall, etc... It is running through an exterior masonry chimney, 25' tall, 13x13 flue tiles. Trying to get an 8" down to stove. Any suggestions on thickness, style, brand, or where to buy cheap?
Thanks!

we use heavy flex for all wood stove that will be used as primary heat source. Lots of people use light wall and are happy with it but we think that the heavy wall is worth the extra money. I would not recommend the smooth wall that is a double layer we have seen lots of issues with it. As far as brand as long as it is ul listed and from a reputable company i dont think brand matters really.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I got what I needed at chimney liner depot. Good service and was happy with the product and price. I think it was chunky liner depot. They price matches as well :)

It cost me $1500 to have a 25 foot insulated light wall 6" ovalized liner installed (parts and labor).
It's good you have the 13x13 tile - it will make life easier.

I would have preferred to go with the heavy wall, but I had a small clay liner and a narrow damper opening. Heavy wall would have been much more expensive, and it's only to supplement my main stove.

Yep the oval are way more. And I did not insulate so I saved

The Ovalizing only added about $30 for the light wall - and the $30 was for the liner maker to machine it oval, rather than having the installer bang it with a brick for free.

I struggled with maybe not insulating, but with an exterior chimney and the 1" clearance code, it seemed worth it. Insulation did not add that much to the cost.

The oval liners were hi dress more!!!

Can I connect a new 6" stove to a 8" liner? Any cons on going larger than the specified flue size? Thanks

Won't draft as well

Status
Not open for further replies.