What did my new windows do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utilitrack

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2008
Central ME
We installed new windows last summer-trying to take advantage of tax credit. We have noticed the following:
1) That the house is much warmer with the stove only running on low/medium, medium on the coldest days- obviously this is welcomed but 2) I am noticing ice dams on the back of our house- cape with full dormer, dormer is where the dams are.

I assume that this is a by-product of the house being tighter due to the windows, does this make sense or is it a coincidence?

IMO, it's a coincidence....everybody seems to be having ice dam problems this winter....me included. I spoke to Home Depot on the phone yesterday, and they said their #1 seller right now is roof rakes for the snow.

If you can find a roof rake now. Do a google search and you can find many ways to make your own rake with stuff you might already have.

Unless you did any work on the insulation in the attic or played with the soffits there will not be any difference. Window installation will not change the way the attic breathes. Everone is having the same problem. Just a coincidence.

Could just be a coincidence. This is one of the worst years for ice dams in memory. There hasn't been enough sun to melt off the snow cover before the next storm adds to it. Take care of the dams, check your venting and insulation and see what happens next year.

IMO.

Attachments

• RoofDormerHeatCable.jpg
    RoofDormerHeatCable.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 269
Status
Not open for further replies.