What do I do in this situation (stove/chimney pipe)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NBABUCKS1

May 9, 2013
Wasatch Front, UT
I had an old prefab fireplace in and I ripped it out. The prefab fireplace had a tripple wall pipe that has about 1.5 inches of air space btween each pipe. This runs upto my cathedral ceiling.

I am planning on using excel pipe (6")with my new wood stove purchase w/ a cathedral ceiling box.

My roof is a rubber membrane roof and the old flashing has the membrane on it. I do not want to make ANY holes in this rubber roof membrane because I don't know much about it and don't want to screw it up.

Right now there is an existing chimney that is 8 inches in diameter and the whole flashing body is about 16" in diameter. Pictures below should tell more of the story
v

IMG_20130711_125044.jpg

IMG_20130711_125010.jpg

IMG_20130711_124939.jpg

IMG_20130711_124947.jpg

8" chimney pipe
IMG_20130711_125117.jpg

IMG_20130711_125417.jpg

What is the best practice here for install?

If I were you I'd call the manufacturer of excel pipe...they re in Quebec and great to deal with...and ask them. You could e-mail them your pictures.

I would really want to get that old pipe and flashing outa there. The new flashing that fits the pipe isn't hard to install over rubber. You can get rubber mending kits from roofing supply stores. Your new flashing will tuck under the rubber on the top side, and the tail will extend out onto the rubber. Then use the mending material to seal between the flashing and existing rubber.

The kits usually consist of: 3"-6" wide roll of rubber, primer, and glue. You can also get rolls of self adhesive EDPM that is applied with a roller, the pressure from the roller makes a good seal, it has for me anyway.

Actually, the flashing details by the rubber manufacturers will specify the base flashing base flange entirely sets on top of the rubber, with a water cut off mastic bead between the bottom of the base flashing and the top of the EPDM membrane. Then the top of the base flashing is also flashed with EPDM flashing and all edges & seams lap sealed.
If I was closer, I would be glad to help. Just helped a member here do the same thing a year or so ago.
It is not that hard. The most important thing is cleaning the existing roof membrane real well and using proper splice wash and primer.
Have you tried contacting any local roofing companies? SHould not cost that much, and guarantee any real rubber roofers have the materials laying in their shop.

Worst case scenario, leave the existing from the roof base flashing up, and run your 6" up through it, but definitely brace it somehow inside the old piping. Don't just run it up and let it flop around in there.

Edit: I do agree with Webby though, on replacing with new. That thing looks like it is already starting to rust. Do it right now and have a while before dealing with it again, and save yourself headaches in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.