What do I do next?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Okay, all you veterans, a little (lot of?) hep here!

The chimney kit came yesterday. It has the 25' liner (check!), the top cap (check!), the insulation (yes, Bart, insulation!-check!), the tee (check!), the spray can of adhesive (check??), the foil tape (check???), some plastic chicken wire lookin' stuff (check????)

I understand most of the above and think I might understand the plastic chicken wire, but what the heck are the adhesive and foil tape for? This may be obvious to y'all, but not to me. There are no instructions in either box.

The chimney sweep is hopefully coming tomorrow. Once he's gone, I'm hoping to get the liner installed either tomorrow or Saturday. We're supposed to have snow/ice after midnight tonight so it may not happen, but we're hoping. Last night it was 11 at my house. We haven't been above 25 for two days now. S'posed to get down to 8 or 7 tonight, etc. etc. I still have snow in my yard and it's @#%& cold!

So, once he's gone what do I do next? I understand that the insulation has to go around the liner, but that's about it. I assume the chicken wire plastic is to hold it on, but that's as far as I get. Which side of the insulation goes next to the liner? Is there an UP or DOWN side to the liner? AND what ARE the adhesive and foil tape for?

The stove is supposed to arrive Thursday so I want to be ready.

Any instructions/tips/cautions/nifty-cool tricks to doin' all this will be appreciated. I'm installing it myself until/unless I hit a snag so take that into consideration, if you will. 'Preciate it!

spray can of adhesive (check??), the foil tape (check???), some plastic chicken wire lookin’ stuff (check????)

I understand most of the above and think I might understand the plastic chicken wire, but what the heck are the adhesive and foil tape for? This may be obvious to y’all, but not to me. There are no instructions in either box.
I understand that the insulation has to go around the liner, but that’s about it. I assume the chicken wire plastic is to hold it on, but that’s as far as I get. Which side of the insulation goes next to the liner? Is there an UP or DOWN side to the liner? AND what ARE the adhesive and foil tape for?

PLASTIC?

Well the plastic chicken wire should be a stainless mesh sock? Thats what I have used. I THINK ANYWAYS. The adhesive spray is used after you roll out your flex liner straight and coat it, then lay on your insulation wrap. It will help temperarily hold it in place until you can put the sock on it.

This was just my experience anyways.
I think your gonna need more advice. :-/
Good luck.

Shari said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

Shari

Thanks Shari, that cleared up everything. As far as the instructions go, I guess they assume the person ordering them will know what all the pieces are for, since I haven't found any yet. So, now I see what needs to be done. Would have never thought of looking on YouTube for this sort of thing, but there it is! Thanks--

north of 60 said:
spray can of adhesive (check??), the foil tape (check???), some plastic chicken wire lookin’ stuff (check????)

I understand most of the above and think I might understand the plastic chicken wire, but what the heck are the adhesive and foil tape for? This may be obvious to y’all, but not to me. There are no instructions in either box.
I understand that the insulation has to go around the liner, but that’s about it. I assume the chicken wire plastic is to hold it on, but that’s as far as I get. Which side of the insulation goes next to the liner? Is there an UP or DOWN side to the liner? AND what ARE the adhesive and foil tape for?

PLASTIC?

Well the plastic chicken wire should be a stainless mesh sock? Thats what I have used. I THINK ANYWAYS. The adhesive spray is used after you roll out your flex liner straight and coat it, then lay on your insulation wrap. It will help temperarily hold it in place until you can put the sock on it.

This was just my experience anyways.

I think your gonna need more advice. :-/
Good luck.

After your post I went back to look at the "plastic" chicken wire stuff and it's actually "stainless" chicken wire stuff, which should work way better. It just looked and felt like plastic there for a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.