Q&A What do I do with an older gas fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Heat-n-Glo 6000TV fireplace. It is installed as a zero clearance fireplace, in ordinary house framing. It functions fine, but the logs and flame look no more like a wood fire than my gas stove burners. My dealer is telling me that my only option if I want a better looking fire is it to rip out the 12 year old fireplace, and give heat-n-Glo another $2000 for a new one. That seems like a lot of work and waste. Do I have any other options?

Answer:

I doubt it. Gas technology has come a long way in the last decade and the fires are now more realistic. In many cases, they are not retrofitable....however, If I were you I wouldn't give up yet. You should contact Heat n Glo at http://www.heatnglo.com and maybe they know something that their dealer does not. That is a popular model and it might just be possible to upgrade it.

Link: Heat N Glo

Status
Not open for further replies.