What do I do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
We are getting a wet heavy snow right now. First of the year. I am having water drip down the pipe and drop onto the stove top. Any thing I can do? I dont want my stove to get rusted up. This snow is not going to stop all night. It is dripping from the thimble. Should I be worried about other issues with the pipe and/or cap?

I am trying to do that, the only problem is that it is really close to the pipe. Cant catch all of it.

I have the same situation when the wind blows the right way and the rain is heavy I get a little water dripping on to stove top.
If the stove is running dont worrry about it it will just evaporate. Once the snow stops get up on the roof and see if you can find where it could be leaking.

As long as you wipe it up quickly you should be okay, stove wont rust.

Until you can figure out where it is leaking from and fix the problem w/ RTV or whatever it may need, perhaps some aluminum foil wrapped around the pipe could be molded to direct it into the pot.

BTW, don't let the pot boil dry, don't use a non-stick one, and it's wise to have it up on a trivet.

pen

I can't find any postings of pictures for this stove. Did it really happen? If so, now would be a good time to post a couple so that we can see what the stove and the piping look like.

Could this just be coming in the rain cap? It is blowing like crazy out there, the snow is really heavy and wet. This has only happened a couple times in the 5 years burning wood. Problem is that I bought the T5 last feb and they replaced the stove pipe from the stove to the thimble. Could the installers have messed things up?

Can't see what you are seeing and I'm not sure what you are describing. Is this a ceiling support box connection or is it a thru the wall connection?

BG- I have not quite figured out this whole posting pics on here yet. I will try to get one of the setup on here asap.

Build a fire in it and figure it out some other day, mine did that and it was blowing in raincap and running down inside, but don't know your situation. How did I fix mine is burn 7/24s and in spring wrap cap. In shoulder season no fire lay a towel where it drips mine is just a few drips. And have looked for different cap but they all look about the same and SS is expensive.

It is connected at the ceiling. I just braved the elements and got up on my roof. Almost killed myself, but made it ok. I removed all the snow around the pipe, cap was clear. Not really sure where all this water is coming from. I have three drip lines on one side of the thimble. I just reloaded the fire to see if the heat will dry it out a bit. Might have been a little cool, so it was getting down the pipe inside. Other thoughts or things I need to try please let me know.

Steve

One trick to get you by is wrap a piece of tin foil around the pipe where it will catch the water & fold a tough to let the water drip into a pot away from the pipe.
If snow is building up on the roof & melting between the weather flashing & the pipe, it may be running down the pipe there.
sometimes wind can blow it in there too. Tin foil & duct tape around it, for a temporary quick fix until the weather clears.
Good luck.

I think the snow build up and melting might have been the problem. I got a really hot fire going late last night after I cleared away all the snow and it stopped leaking. I will get up there later and check it out.

BG- I attached pics of my set up. The last pic is a close up of where the water was leaking.

Attachments

• IMAG0227 (1).jpg
    IMAG0227 (1).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 402
  • IMAG0230.jpg
    IMAG0230.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 406
  • IMAG0229.jpg
    IMAG0229.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 394
OK, that helps. What was confusing me was the thimble term. Usually that refers just to a through-the-wall pipe. How is the chimney pipe supported?

I hate to make you head up there again, but if we can see what is up on the roof we should be able to spot errors. While you are up there, take a look at the seal on the storm collar and make sure it looks good. BTW, is this Metalbestos pipe?

Is that wood beam as close as it looks to your stove pipe? Sorry for going off topic.

I just had this same issue last night....what it was for me: following a chimney cleaning i must have somehow messed up the seal of the high temp silicone on the storm collar around the pipe above the roof line. We had some bad rain and blowing wind. I was able to put a bead around it last night in the rain and it stopped the dripping down the pipe.

You may want to remove your attic insulation shield (if applicable) and take a look to see if any water pooled inside your ceiling support kit. As was the case with me. Good luck.

Silicone must be worked in with your finger. Just laying a bead on is not going to last long.
We always worked it one way then back the other again.

I think I will be sealing that storm collar better this weekend. When I got up there the other night the caulking/ or tar looks pretty dried up. I think that might be where my problem is.

As for the support of the pipe and type of pipe, I really dont know. Everything except the 10' of stove pipe up to the ceiling was installed before I bought the house. I have had it cleaned and inspected by a chimney sweep every other year and everything has always checked out. The year between I clean it myself.

What should I use to reseal around that storm collar?

Clean all the old caulk around the storm collar as best you can. Use a wire brush to help. Then seal with a good quality silicone like GE Silicone II. After putting a generous bead all around the pipe, work it in with your finger, like Hog says. If this is Metalbestos pipe, I would also silicone the seam up from the collar for a pipe length as insurance. Take pics while up there of the storm collar, flashing and the cap and post them here.

BeGreen said:
Clean all the old caulk around the storm collar as best you can. Use a wire brush to help. Then seal with a good quality silicone like GE Silicone II. After putting a generous bead all around the pipe, work it in with your finger, like Hog says. If this is Metalbestos pipe, I would also silicone the seam up from the collar for a pipe length as insurance. Take pics while up there of the storm collar, flashing and the cap and post them here.

+1 on the GE silicone, but if you remove the storm collar, make sure to clean around the top of the flashing cone - where it meets your Class A. Goob (technical term) a LIBERAL amount of silicone on the gap in this area & when you re-assemble the storm collar, do it above the cone & snug it to the chimney section. Then slide it down onto that bead so the silicone oozes thru the storm collar. That way you know there's no gap at the underside. Add another bead where the collar meets the Class A & where the seam in the storm collar is & smooth it with your finger...

Status
Not open for further replies.