WHAT DO I HAVE AND WILL IT WORK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sugarbear

Oct 3, 2014
Rock Springs, WY
We acquired this stove from a friend that wanted it hauled away. We think is beautiful and would love to put it in our home. The problem is that we know nothing about it and have never had a wood stove before. We could really use some guidance. I have attached some pics in the hopes that someone will be able to help us!

20141003_064352.jpg 20141003_064310.jpg 20141003_064318.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Slipping this over to the Classic forum. You really are dealing with a Classic. Bob Fisher would be proud.

What do you want to know? Its built like a tank. Will throw gobs of heat. As reliable as dirt, but it is a hungry beast. They are commonly called a "smoke dragon" because of the tendency of users to crank them down (possibly using sub-par fuel) and creating a plume of smoke out the stack. It doesn't need to be that way if run properly. Good dry fuel and proper operating temps will mitigate it. This will never be as clean as a properly ran EPA stove, but that doesn't make them useless, either.

Be aware of clearance to combustibles when installing this stove (and the pipe, too).
And you will want to get a schedule devised for stack inspection and cleaning (sweeping) if needed.

ETA: By the way - it looks fairly well maintained for an older stove.

Slipping this over to the Classic forum. You really are dealing with a Classic. Bob Fisher would be proud.

What do you want to know? Its built like a tank. Will throw gobs of heat. As reliable as dirt, but it is a hungry beast. They are commonly called a "smoke dragon" because of the tendency of users to crank them down (possibly using sub-par fuel) and creating a plume of smoke out the stack. It doesn't need to be that way if run properly. Good dry fuel and proper operating temps will mitigate it. This will never be as clean as a properly ran EPA stove, but that doesn't make them useless, either.

Be aware of clearance to combustibles when installing this stove (and the pipe, too).
And you will want to get a schedule devised for stack inspection and cleaning (sweeping) if needed.
what model is this I am very curious to know? I feel very lucky that you say it's a classic! I am however concerned about the piece inside that looks like it's been bent. is it supposed to be that way? If not is there a way to fix it? And what would we have to do to get the stove running? As I said this is our first show and we know nothing about it so we are totally green here. finding a manual for this stove would be a wonderful find and I'm sure it would help us immensely! I have a feeling this is going to be a fun new journey learning about this stove!

Check the back for a tag. At first blush I would say momma bear, but not sure on that because of the door design.
From the pics, the top metal piece just looks out of place. The slight warp up wouldn't bother me too much.

Check this out:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/fisher-stoves/

I just checked and sadly there was no tag to be found I will check out the site thank you!

so I have found out that this is a Goldilocks. it was originally made to go into a mobile home which incidentally is what we got it out of. We are putting it into a conventional home so now I need to do some research on building the proper base and backing wall for it as well as finding out what kind of pipe I need to use and all of that good stuff. Of course any assistance or information that anyone has would be helpful and most graciously appreciated! I am going to call the city and find out what the requirements are in my town of course so that I don't violate any fire codes. So far my insurance company has no problem with it though.

Moved to the Fisher forum so that the experts can help you out.

Reactions: Jags
so I have found out that this is a Goldilocks. it was originally made to go into a mobile home which incidentally is what we got it out of. We are putting it into a conventional home so now I need to do some research on building the proper base and backing wall for it as well as finding out what kind of pipe I need to use and all of that good stuff. Of course any assistance or information that anyone has would be helpful and most graciously appreciated! I am going to call the city and find out what the requirements are in my town of course so that I don't violate any fire codes. So far my insurance company has no problem with it though.

Hi T ! That was me that identified your stove in your email this morning. Glad you found the Forum.
Paul

Reactions: sugarbear
May the circle, be unbroken...

Reactions: sugarbear
Here is what the bent piece inside should look like. It is called the "Smoke Shelf Baffle"

Smoke Shelf Baffle 1984 Goldilocks.JPG Yours needs to be rewelded on the right side.

The right draft knob should not turn. It is only for looks to match the left side. Simply tighten the nuts on the bolt to prevent it from moving.

Here's the UL tag location on back. There will be holes there if tag was removed.

The later stoves could have a metallic sticker type tag on the pedestal. They get painted over. Don't wipe paint off with lacquer thinner looking for it. It ruins the tag. Only use kerosene or mineral spirits. They should not have a problem with it if you find the tag. It was UL listed and mobile home certified. (excepting if EPA smoke regulations are in effect at your locality)

Goldilocks 9.80 tag.jpg

I bought mine new in 1984 and didn't get any nostalgic charm. Makes me feel old ! ;hm

Status
Not open for further replies.